Line of a putt

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got into a discussion today regarding the line of a putt. In the rules it basically states that you cannot touch the line of a putt. The question was, "What is the line of a putt?"

Is it:

A) A direct line between the position of the ball and the hole?
B) A line that takes into account any borrow that may exist?

If it is a dead straight putt, then A obviously applies, however, when a borrow comes into play, the actual line will be different depending on how hard you hit the ball, so who can say what the line is.

Obviously, the best thing is not to touch the green, except for those exceptions that are permitted, so that there can be no debate.

So, what is the correct answer?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
"The Line of Putt is the line that the player wishes his ball to take after a stroke on the putting green. Except with respect to Rule 16-1e, the line of putt includes a reasonable distance on any sideof the intended line. The line of putt does not extend beyond the hole."

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i dont understand what you mean by touch the line of the put? i thought you was allowed to remove loose impedaments so would that not constitute touching the putt line?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
i dont understand what you mean by touch the line of the put? i thought you was allowed to remove loose impedaments so would that not constitute touching the putt line?

Permitted exception.

Rule 16-1 The Putting Green - General

The line of putt must not be touched except:
(i) the player may remove loose impediments, provided he does not press anything down;
(ii) the player may place the club in front of the ball when addressing it, provided he does not press anything down;
(iii) in measuring – Rule 18-6;
(iv) in lifting or replacing the ball – Rule 16-1b;
(v) in pressing down a ball-marker;
(vi) in repairing old hole plugs or ball marks on the putting green – Rule 16-1c; and
(vii) in removing movable obstructions – Rule 24-1.