Lifting the leading heel

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What are your thoughts on lifting your heel in the backswing? It's something I don't do but I'm wondering if I would have done it naturally if I hadn't been exposed to the "modern" swing when I started playing.

Ben Hogan-Lifting lead heel

Without properly trying it yet I'm wondering whether it will help maintain the correct spine angle and help to start the downswing from the ground up.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do and it was just something players did when I started learning in the 70s (look at Nickluas, Watson etc). It just happens naturally but I do think it helps me get a good shoulder turn. Did try keping my foot flatter when Faldo and modern plyers made that the norm but it just felt wrong to me.

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
By all means try swinging with the lead heal lifting in the backswing, only make sure that replanting the heal is the trigger for the throughswing.

Jack did say in one of his books that his heal comes up because it has to in his swing due to his flexibility and build. He advised to not lift it up for the sake of it, but for it to be pulled to allow the backswing to be completed.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've read before that lifting the heel is important in order to complete a full turn and like Charlie said plant it back down at the start of the downswing. This "trigger" helps to ensure that you uncoil from the ground up in the downswing, feet first, hips then finally shoulders. The backswing sequence in reverse.

Too often hackers like me start downswings with a turn of the shoulders first whilst the lower body is static and that can only lead to one thing - dragging the club off line, over the top, out to in, etc.

Number one cause for a slice or pull. :(

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I do and it was just something players did when I started learning in the 70s (look at Nickluas, Watson etc). It just happens naturally but I do think it helps me get a good shoulder turn. Did try keping my foot flatter when Faldo and modern plyers made that the norm but it just felt wrong to me.

I must have been ahead of my time, as i always kept my heel on the ground in the 70's. Mind you i was very supple then, whereas it did seem to help the old boys to turn. One less moving part as far as i am concerned. ;)

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a fan myself.

I like to keep my bottom half as still as possible and always concentrate on keeping a stable base.

I personally don't see how lifting the heel can help any consistant movement.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great idea but not for me. It was the norm a good few years back and a lot of pros taught it. Another moving part or something to think about would overload my tiny golfing brain. It can't cope with the swing as it is :(

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It is another moving part but if that moving part helps with rhythm, timing and weight transfer then maybe it's not a bad thing. Nicklaus, Snead, Hogan, Jones seemed to be able to do it consitently :p noticed Bjorn and Casy doing it this weekend too amongst others.

I'm flexible enough to keep the foot planted but I tried a few shots today, heel up and hit some nice shots. It's not natural for me so it did feel a bit strange...

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to lift my left heel in the backswing, but you need to be sure you plant it back as it was at address otherwise it can effect the swingpath. It also encourages overswinging at the top.
I now keep my heels firmly planted and I find that i am using my core muscles more and therefore get more power.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Provided you 'fall' onto your left side during transition then feel free to try it :)

Would anyone teach it nowadays? No..... well Bobmac might but then he is nearly 200yrs old ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Provided you 'fall' onto your left side during transition then feel free to try it :)

Would anyone teach it nowadays? No..... well Bobmac might but then he is nearly 200yrs old ;)

Actually I dont.
It can lead to a sway if the left knee moves towards the right so I'd rather see players keep it down.
Although it does help players with rotational restrictions :)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Although it does help players with rotational restrictions :)

[/QUOTE]

I may have to consider lifting, but not for at least another 30 years !