Levv Golf - iphone Launch Monitor

GregKael

Medal Winner
Visit site
I gave it a whirl today, and it seems pretty accurate. Comparing my numbers to a trackman session from a week or so ago they are very similar. (not publishing them as I'm ashamed)

I wouldn't say the app is amazing and it's certainly no Trackman or GC Quad. but to get launch angle, ball speed, spin rate and carry from an iPhone camera it's pretty impressive.

Has anyone else tried it out? Did you find it accurate?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
If you find anything similar for android I would love to know!

The problem with developing something like that for Android (I am a software developer and have thought about developing a tracking app for a while) is that the quality of cameras varies wildly between different models. With iPhones, you are pretty sure what you get (specifically a high frame rate, which is crucial for accurately tracking the ball), with Android phones, that is a lot rarer. You do get the occaional model which can do super slo-mo, but they are few and far between, even relatively expensive phones are often limited to 50 fps. So it would not be as easy as just translating the app from iPhone to Android (which is normally not that much of a deal), you would also have to limit it to a few specific models of phone, which limits the potential market tremendously. So I understand if companies decide it is not worth it.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Think you are mixing terms a little. Not every phone on iOS will have the required frame rate surely, so the question would be what market of phones with iOS vs. what market running Android have the frame rate etc. Which might translate to iphone x vs. Note 9 or something.

Back to op, wouldn't expect it to be that accurate.

GregKael

Medal Winner
Visit site
You are right not every iOS phone has a sufficient camera. I think the iPhone 6 is the minimum device.

This is the closest I can manage to an actual comparison at the moment. The Trackman data is from 2 weeks ago (I'm just a beginner, only been playing for a few months. But a firm believer in data brings improvement in any sport) and the Levv from last night (both normalised). Obviously it's hard to tell how accurate it is with my inconsistent swing.

TrackmanBall SpeedLaunch AngleSpinCarry (yds)Height (ft)
7i91.922.63220125.156
7i96.523.65913131.871
7i97.424.58097138.774
7i93.126.86518123.473
7i90.623.13489123.956
7i96.223.15847126.966
Levv
7i99296307138101
7i9327551613580
7i10810355913226
7i10518622814765
7i102306722139111
7i9326796812778

I'd prefer to do a side by side test, but my trial subscription to Levv will run out before I can manage another Trackman Session. As I could run both against the same swings, in a real world test.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Think you are mixing terms a little. Not every phone on iOS will have the required frame rate surely, so the question would be what market of phones with iOS vs. what market running Android have the frame rate etc. Which might translate to iphone x vs. Note 9 or something.

Back to op, wouldn't expect it to be that accurate.

iPhones support at least 120 fps since the iPhone 5s, most of the newer models also support 240 fps. If you say something like "this app works with iPhones 6 and newer", you are on the safe side. With Android phones, it is a heck of a lot more complicated, because you have hundreds of cheap phones and, as I said, even when you go to the higher priced ones, like Samsung Galaxy or something like that, camera specs are a bit random. Most of them go for high resolutions, but not neccessarily high frame rates. And even if the hardware theoretically supports a higher framerate, it is often not accessible to third party apps. You'd have to twiddle and test for each and every model individually. And by the rate at which new hardware comes out, that's just not feasible.

I am not an Apple fan, because I find their products severly overhyped and overpriced, but from a developers point of view, the Apple world (be it iOS or MacOS for the desktop systems) is heavenly.

I am not saying, a ball tracking app for Android phones is impossible. But it is much harder to transfer something like that from iOS to Android than for example a statistics or social media app, because you depend on knowledge of the hardware so much more.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
You are right not every iOS phone has a sufficient camera. I think the iPhone 6 is the minimum device.

This is the closest I can manage to an actual comparison at the moment. The Trackman data is from 2 weeks ago (I'm just a beginner, only been playing for a few months. But a firm believer in data brings improvement in any sport) and the Levv from last night (both normalised). Obviously it's hard to tell how accurate it is with my inconsistent swing.

Trackman
Ball Speed
Launch Angle
Spin
Carry (yds)
Height (ft)
7i
7i
7i
7i
7i
7i
Levv
7i
7i
7i
7i
7i
7i

I'd prefer to do a side by side test, but my trial subscription to Levv will run out before I can manage another Trackman Session. As I could run both against the same swings, in a real world test.

Hmmm did you cream that 147 yard shot? did you see/feel a noticeable difference?

GregKael

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hmmm did you cream that 147 yard shot? did you see/feel a noticeable difference?

Yes, it was probably the cleanest shot I hit the whole day and it came down around the 150yd sign on the range. Just not sure where they measure the 150yd from as the range tees move around quite a bit to protect the turf.
Edit I also can't guarantee it wasn't a rogue "decent" ball in the basket. (We see plenty of strays from the practice grounds swept into the range balls)

GregKael

Medal Winner
Visit site
The app is free, with limited functionality it just displays data and there is the Pro version which actually records data for £5.99pm (no free trial of pro) or £30.99pa (14 day free trial).

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Looks like the app is free, but the subscription is $5.99 a month or $34 per year. I'd be interested to know what you get without the subscription though, those that have it?

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I gave it a whirl today, and it seems pretty accurate. Comparing my numbers to a trackman session from a week or so ago they are very similar. (not publishing them as I'm ashamed)

I wouldn't say the app is amazing and it's certainly no Trackman or GC Quad. but to get launch angle, ball speed, spin rate and carry from an iPhone camera it's pretty impressive.

Has anyone else tried it out? Did you find it accurate?

What did you use to rest the iPhone on when you used the app?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I've just downloaded it, seems it won't be useable at a range more at practice ground facilities?

The phone should be set up 4/5 feet away from the ball and 2 feet behind it according to the app.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Interested to read about this and have downloaded the free app, although now realise you need to pay to get anything decent from it.

Found the following thread http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1637066-levv-golf-app/ which gives a bit more technical info, including comments from Levv, on limitations, but shows technology is moving on and hopefully bringing such devices within reach on all players. Know it is never gonna replicate a £20k device, but hoping it serves a purpose. Will have to see in time.

GregKael

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've just downloaded it, seems it won't be useable at a range more at practice ground facilities?

The phone should be set up 4/5 feet away from the ball and 2 feet behind it according to the app.

Not used it in range bays (our courses range is a practice ground set-up with a few covered bays), but I'd guess there'd be enough room at every range I've been to as long as I used a tripod to hold the phone.

I found the description for placing the phone a bit confusing on the app I found. Where it says behind the ball it means "behind you to the left at address." Unlike a trackman which is behind the ball in relation to flight path. Hopefully the crude ascii art will demonstrate

C= phone
S= Stance
^= ball flight path
o = ball

C
| ^
|__ S __________ 0

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Not used it in range bays (our courses range is a practice ground set-up with a few covered bays), but I'd guess there'd be enough room at every range I've been to as long as I used a tripod to hold the phone.

I found the description for placing the phone a bit confusing on the app I found. Where it says behind the ball it means "behind you to the left at address." Unlike a trackman which is behind the ball in relation to flight path. Hopefully the crude ascii art will demonstrate

C= phone
S= Stance
^= ball flight path
o = ball

C
| ^
|__ S __________ 0

Ahh I see that makes sense and plenty of room in that case. I assumed the phone would be on the opposite side for some reason.

Freewaytom

Visit site
had a go with this yesterday off the back off this thread, so thanks!

you don't get carry or total distance on the free version, you do get height, launch angle, ball speed and spin. it also won't save your stats, so I think you need to check the phone after each shot, which could become a faff after a while.

Either way, for free it seems great to get an idea of your ball speed and spin numbers through the bag, might give the pro version ago once i've fashioned a stand.