Let's see if we can get through this without argueing.......Driver, high AND low

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you were playing a long par 5 with a fairway so wide even Smiffy could hit it and you had a breeze behind you and the fairway wasn't to soft or too hard, how would you try and hit the driver high to take advantage of the breeze behind?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I try not to bother trying to take advantage. Hitting my normal shot will give me a little extra if the wind is behind anyway, and I would prefer to just concentrate on hitting a good shot.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
As mad as it may seem Bob , i try to tee it a bit higher & (dont know the treminology is )i aim the face of the driver more upwards than forwards , i swing slower , not sure if the wind helps it or i just hit it better because i didnt try kill it , but in my head it works so i go with it ..

BT's sounds alot more feasible but i "think" my way works for me

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've got a Titleist 910 so I would nip into the bushes pretending I need a pee and adjust the club to maximum loft :swing:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bob

I am a bit confused on why you posted this. Is the objective to tell us how we should do it? If so then to save time why not tell us, I think that might cut out some of the arguing :thup:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Why does it have to be a par 5? Surely with those spec's it could be any hole where a driver is used!

As I don't have or use a driver, I don't think I would adjust my 3w set-up, although I have noticed that when I tee up on a mat, the tee is much higher (can't push it in enough) than if I was teeing into grass, the net result is I get a longer, higher ball flight!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bob

I am a bit confused on why you posted this. Is the objective to tell us how we should do it? If so then to save time why not tell us, I think that might cut out some of the arguing :thup:

It's a straight forward question I thought

Now see what you've done, Brian. You've started an argument. I thought it was merely a question looking for forummers' views.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
tee it right up there. little more of a tilt. give it a bash. lose my balance. regret trying it. repeat at next downwind hole.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a straight forward question I thought

I dont want this to be an argument, more a discussion and discussions can have conflicting views.

Bob, are you asking 'The Experts' for some help (I doubt that) Or are you asking us to say what we would do out of interest, or are you eventually going to explain to us what (in your opinion) would be the best way.

I am just curious.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same as BT. Just hit it as normal. Its a par5, unless it's a shortish par5 your not going to reach in 2 anyway. So i'd just play the hole as normal and possibly just have a shorter 3rd shot.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'd try and hit a normal Driver shot - then I'd march to the adjacent fairway and blast the ball back onto mine with a 3 wood.....

Most par 5's are out of reach for most players in 2 shots so why try anything out of the ordinary and risk a screw up? Or should that be risk an even bigger screw up......

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like to feel as though my arms are working a little bit faster if I want to hit it higher, rather than the feeling (for me) of turning on top of the ball.

Hanging back on my right side a tad longer will help me hit a moon ball too. :)

Agree that just answering the OP question would be good, too much of that going on in many threads IMO.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thank you for a straight forward reply Homer.
What else could you do to increase the height the ball goes apart from increasing the launch angle?

More spin? Higher on the club face? Both - so steeper angle of attack? Will that climb and stall though?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure why people can't just answer a question, rather than questioning the opening question. Either answer it or not.

Anyway, not sure I would do anything different than usual. I would just give a rip as I have a high ball flight anyway. I do not feel comfortable when I start messing around with ball and hand position with my driver. Happy to do it with all my other clubs just not the driver.