Let's discuss: Staying centered.......................

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think most people find golf hard enough to work out without S & T. IMO it only helps to confuse many golfers who are still trying to get to grips with the fundamental basics such as grip, set up and a basic swing principles.

There's an old saying, get the basics right, build a good foundation and everthing else will fall into place.

If you can't come to terms with grip then what swing exactly WILL be easy? The one where you move about a lot or one that keeps you centered over the ball?

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Justone.

I posted this earlier in the post:

16-Jan-2012 18:53#28Dave B

Re: Let's discuss: Staying centered.......................

Staying centred as far as I'm concerned means keeping your head still while maintaining a balanced equilibrium throughout the swing as energy is transferred from one side to the other.

Have I missed the point before the topic was changed to stack and tilt?

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Dave, if you are centered how do you 'transfer energy from one side to the other' without moving your head around? Your feet are fixed and your head is fixed, do you just wobble the middle bits? :mad:

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
JustOne

I think you know exactly what I mean, however not knowing you I don't know if you'd wobble around the middle bits or not ;)

If you don't know what I mean ask a pro for a lesson using video photo imprinting.

Alternatively watch the golf on TV and watch to see how much a pro's head moves during the swing, you'll find his head position is constant throughout the swing until the club has struck the ball, i.e he is centred and balanced at all times until the ball is struck. If he loses his balance during the follow through he has swung to hard and lost his centre of balance.

I've just seen your video, head still and centred, you are a wind up merchant :whoo:

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I've just seen your video, head still and centred, you are a wind up merchant :whoo:

Yes but I'm stacked. I tilt my shoulders down and allow the right leg to straighten, is there another way? Can you hit the ball if your shoulders turn flat? If you turn to your right how do you come out of the forward bend that you were in at address without lifting or moving your head?.........

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Justone
Watch your video, your'e nearly there:fore:

Professional coaches use video imprinting by taking a video of your swing and overlaying it on a well known professionals profile who has a similar swing. The right leg should always retain some flex, (if you straighten it you're popping up dipping the shoulder and scooping the ball to compensate all of which which will create head movement. It's a well known fact that one of the biggest faults of most amateur golfers is dipping the shoulder and moving the head. Coaches use the imprint of the professional head position to demonstate that the head should not move until the ball has been struck.

In addition some coaches will advise you to keep looking at the original ball/tee position after you have hit the ball to stop you bring your head up early and duffing the shot by looking for the ball before you strike it.

The swing is all about balance, and rotation around a central axis transfering weight from right to left, (right handed player). If you can rotate 90 degrees, while keeping the hips quiet, without swaying, keeping your head in the same position you have good basic foundation to build the swing around. Swing planes and club positions are a totally different subject that should be covered on another thread.

I've watched your videos on your S&T thread and your leg is flexed throughout so basically you haven't a leg to stand on:D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
popcorn.gif

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst surfing t'internet for knowledge on life and the universe, I stumbled on this very long and detailed paper from 2007 on centralised weight shifting the golf swing... http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/weight.htm

Talks about the left centralised swing and the right centralised swing, and interestingly talks about S&T, saying that most think they are doing S&T when in fact they are not.

It's worth a read if you've got hours to spare and a ton of patience...:whistle:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Dave firstly thanks for your reply, I appreciate your comments/input very much and you are right, I am nearly there ;)

The point of the thread was not my swing (I'm cool with my swing) it was an open ended question for others to answer. Let's say you have a Ford engine and you want to put it in a Ferrari, it won't fit, you can't just swap it out, agreed? OK so let's say you've got a golf swing where you load into your right side (that's the Ford by the way) and someone tells you to be more centered (the Ferrari) well your old Ford swing won't fit straight into the Ferrari swing you have to adapt it, it's not possible to keep all the little parts of your old swing exactly the same if you're now staying more centered... for a start you won't be getting the same weight shift you used to have, secondly you might feel very steep etc etc So it was an open question to the forum along the lines of "do you KNOW what you need to change in your swing to stay more centered and actually be able to hit the ball effectively". How do you deal with that lack of weightshift? or the steepness? or any of the other issues related with suddenly being more centered. Does anyone really understand what being more centered MEANS or what the implications are? I don't think it's right to casually tell someone to stay more centered if you can't then tell them of what that implies to the rest of their swing. I already know the answers as I use a centered swing method so this isn't about me ....I can bomb it! ....and occasionally on target too!! ;)

Here's the original question... (and admittedly the thread did go waaaaay off topic, nothing new there)....

OK, so you've been told to stay more centered over the ball.......

so now what?

Do you do everything else just the same as normal?

Clearly the answer begins with "No..................."

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's worth a read if you've got hours to spare and a ton of patience...:whistle:

I like the line from that page that says...
"I hope that those terms offer beginner golfers deeper insights into the complexities of a centralised backswing swing style"
...which emphasises nicely what I just said above.. you can't just tell someone to stay more centered... they won't have a clue what that entails.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The right leg should always retain some flex.

Should it? Who says so?

The swing is all about balance, and rotation around a central axis transfering weight from right to left.

I can't transfer wieght from side to side whilst turning on a central axis, I don't think that's possible unless the central axis is 'floating', i.e. not a fixed axis. Would have thought a fixed axis would be far more reliable for getting the clubhead back to a certain point, i.e. the back of the golf ball.

Slime.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Slime

Traditional fundamental basics advise keeping the leg flexed throughout the swing to help you transfer weight and retain balance, however after reading up, Stack and Tilt suggests keeping the right leg straight on the back swing, (I see this is now going to get complicated, what happend to simple basics :confused:)

It's very easy on a forum to missinterpret what somebody says and it's very easy to be misunderstood if you don't allow for interpretation so I'll clarify

The swing is all about balance, and rotation around a central axis transfering weight from right to left.

If you watch a pro his head is still until thoughout the swing until the ball is struck which is why coaches use photo imprinting to emphasize head movement as one of the biggest faults in most golfers.

If the head is kept still until the ball is struck would it be fair to say that it is the only part of the body that is truly centred?

Would it also be fair to assume that the head acts as the central pivot point for the swing given that the head position is the only constant until the ball is struck ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyC-bpm0RE

Weight shift and generating power is opening a whole different can of worms, however the general laws of physics state for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The way I look at it in the golf swing is that when creating and releasing these forces in order to have consistency and accuracy you need to retain balance.

JustOne

I had a good round beating my playing partner who plays off 14, however the wind was horrendous. Incidentally going back to your post my grip was changed earlier this year and it's hard to believe how such a simple thing can completely change the mechanics of the swing. It's taken me the best part of 6 months to rebuild and adjust to my new swing. It has been a benefit in the long term however my scores suffered terribly in the transition to my new swing

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Regarding the flex in the right knee, to me it is a critical element in creating a powerful swing and maintaining balance.

I admit to only taking a brief look at Stack & Tilt so cannot comment with knowledge of how this may differ. In the swing that I do know about it's important. Rather than create a long post on why I believe this I have attached a link to a sound explanation that anyone can read if they wish:

http://www.golftipsmag.com/instruction/faults-and-fixes/lessons/the-key-ingredient.html

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think the issue with the right knee flexed comes from trying to stop people stacking over it. The way the swing was taught over the past 20 years is very similar to the picture you linked to Brian where the weight sits over the right leg, I totally agree that if you were to straighten a leg in that circumstance it would be fatal, but it doesn't comply with a more centered (one plane) swing which NEEDS the hips to rotate more and as a result the leg will straighten more. Instead of a 2 plane arm swing it's more of a one plane body swing, to that extent they are different, and so are the components.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the issue with the right knee flexed comes from trying to stop people stacking over it. The way the swing was taught over the past 20 years is very similar to the picture you linked to Brian where the weight sits over the right leg, I totally agree that if you were to straighten a leg in that circumstance it would be fatal, but it doesn't comply with a more centered (one plane) swing which NEEDS the hips to rotate more and as a result the leg will straighten more. Instead of a 2 plane arm swing it's more of a one plane body swing, to that extent they are different, and so are the components.

James,

I think with S&T that you create an almost reverse pivot on the backswing and then kinda maintain this position in the downswing so you dont lean onto the back leg (I think) .

I do know something about one plane rotary swings and my understanding is that you need to maintain right knee flex in this type of swing.

Take a look at Jeff Ritter who has a beautiful one plane swing and teaches this style, see how well he maintains his right knee flex throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc4K58tpNm4&feature=relmfu