Let's discuss: Staying centered.......................

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Brian

I've never heard of Jeff Ritter, however his swing is very similar to mine which my playing partner describes as a Steve Stricker type swing, in that it is essentially a 3/4 swing.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
James,

I think with S&T that you create an almost reverse pivot on the backswing and then kinda maintain this position in the downswing so you dont lean onto the back leg (I think) .

I do know something about one plane rotary swings and my understanding is that you need to maintain right knee flex in this type of swing.

Take a look at Jeff Ritter who has a beautiful one plane swing and teaches this style, see how well he maintains his right knee flex throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc4K58tpNm4&feature=relmfu

Yep, I like Jeff Ritter's stuff, very understandable.

Yes S&T is close to a reverse pivot motion but it isn't a reverse pivot as you are straight (at most) and not leaning towards the target. The idea of stack and tilt is that the shoulders simply rotate in a circle over the ball instead of rotating towards the back foot.

I know I'm not going to be able to find a whole lot of examples for you as there's not that many (or any) swing gurus (old or new) who'd outright say to go ahead and allow the right leg to straighten, S&T instruction states as part of it's pattern that it's OK to do so. If you take a look at someone (who we know is flat) like Kuchar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk73K6x5XMI you can see that he 'allows' his trailing leg to straighten, sure it doesn't lock, but neither does mine... it's not the same as Ritter has it, so to an extent you need to define what exactly is a 'flexed knee' for you? Is it forward facing, right facing, 5° bend, turned inwards, so that when you describe it people will understand. I allow mine to straighten a lot but not lock.. is that still flexed?

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
JustOne

Have you found you get more distance, more accuracy or more consistency, (please clarify), since converting to S&T. In addition does S&T allow you to swing harder at the ball without going off balance

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
JustOne

Have you found you get more distance, more accuracy or more consistency, (please clarify)

For me it's all 3. I get more distance as I now hit down on the ball more, the accuracy is good as the shot shape is more predictable and I hit less bad shots than I used to when I wasn't practicing. Admittedly I need more range time but that's not what I was after. I wanted a swing that I didn't need to practice much (if at all) yet still maintain the ability to get round in a reasonable score and (hopefully) enjoy the game more. I didn't really want to take the 'JammyDodger route' and just give up.

I don't need to go at the ball harder as the swing is more like a 'whip' at impact, it feels a lot more powerful through impact yet from only a ¾ backswing. Compact is the best way to describe it. I do tend to try and blast it off the tee a little too often (especially in fun games), I'm a little more reserved when I'm not playing like a knob :)

TBH I'd like to hit the ball a bit softer and control it more.. but as I said above that would require some time on the practice ground which frankly I'm not prepared to do right now. Falling into a ditch and twisting my left knee didn't exactly help :(

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
so to an extent you need to define what exactly is a 'flexed knee' for you? Is it forward facing, right facing, 5° bend, turned inwards, so that when you describe it people will understand. I allow mine to straighten a lot but not lock.. is that still flexed?

A flexed knee to me is quite simple. It retains the forward bend in the knee as close as possible to that set at address. It is nothing to do with turning inwards or outwards.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
A flexed knee to me is quite simple. It retains the forward bend in the knee as close as possible to that set at address. It is nothing to do with turning inwards or outwards.

As a matter of interest......

I assume you are sitting on a chair whilst at your PC? If you stand up, face the chair and take your normal golf posture so that both your knees are flexed and your kneecaps are touching the front edge of the seat and you are bent forward at the waist (as in your normal golf posture), how much shoulder turn can you make without your knees coming away from the chair or standing up?

(nb: you can slide them sideways if you want as long as they remain touching the chair)

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As a matter of interest......

I assume you are sitting on a chair whilst at your PC? If you stand up, face the chair and take your normal golf posture so that both your knees are flexed and your kneecaps are touching the front edge of the seat and you are bent forward at the waist (as in your normal golf posture), how much shoulder turn can you make without your knees coming away from the chair or standing up?

(nb: you can slide them sideways if you want as long as they remain touching the chair)

I didnt say the knees cannot tur. , I said try to maintain their bend, it's nothing to do with turning them. I think you know what I mean by this, dont allow your right knee to straighten.

Not sure if this is a good thing with S&T but it is a very bad move otherwise.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

They both keep their knee flex. They turn their knee in but they stay flexed.