Let's discuss: Staying centered.......................

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
OK, so you've been told to stay more centered over the ball.......

so now what?

Do you do everything else just the same as normal?

oakey22

Head Pro
Visit site
Keep weight on left side, take backswing, start downswing while thrusting hips to target, then get weight onto left side more and more, hit ball, take a nice divot, and come through to a balanced finish :)

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Keep weight on left side, take backswing, start downswing while thrusting hips to target, then get weight onto left side more and more, hit ball, take a nice divot, and come through to a balanced finish :)

Is this not basically stack and tilt :whistle:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK, so you've been told to stay more centered over the ball.......

so now what?

Do you do everything else just the same as normal?

I really do not know. You must have picked up on my attitude towards the golf swing by now. Grip it and rip it baby...:whoo:. I do not look too deep into the swing and would prefer to pay my pro to do that for me.

But I would say I think you would start to scoop your hands up if you did not put a bit more weight on the front foot to make sure you did not lean back as you struck the ball.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let's say you were loading up into your right side to get plenty of power... how r u going to do that if you're now centered?

Short answer you cant!

I think that if the majority of people heard the term "Stay Centered" then they would invariably keep their weight 50/50 split at address....
Causing all manner of issues.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes. I think people read too much into weight transfer. It should happen naturally with a turn away to right then a swing to the left.

i agree just swing back and swing through, there soo many other parts of the swing for me to worry about

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Let's say you were loading up into your right side to get plenty of power... how r u going to do that if you're now centered?

I dont lose power by staying centered. Its what I have been working on. Loading the right side (tosh if you ask me) implies a sway is good. If you move backwards you have to (at some stage) move back forwards which adds another variable into the swing.

If I sway I hit the ball so far off line it really should have a passport!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Loading onto the right side does not need you to sway onto it. You need to pivot 'around' a flexed right leg. In the downswing you need to maintain your spine angle and pivot around your left leg, if you cover the ball with your chest in the downswing then your weight shift will happen. If you keep your head behind the ball then you should stay fairly centered.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Loading onto the right side does not need you to sway onto it. You need to pivot 'around' a flexed right leg. In the downswing you need to maintain your spine angle and pivot around your left leg, if you cover the ball with your chest in the downswing then your weight shift will happen. If you keep your head behind the ball then you should stay fairly centered.

What he said.:thup: ...

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

What he said.:thup: ...

I agree too, but sometimes it's difficult not to get ahead of the ball which for me creates an OTT swing and a wild slice.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely, you can stay centred over the ball, but, as your turn comes in, your weight naturally shifts to the right hand side and over your right leg. If at the top of the swing your left shoulder points at the ball you have to have had weight shift and to some extent , coil. It's excessive turn with a sway,that I think most of us try to avoid and I guess thats where we think that we are doing elements of stack and tilt. I don't personally think for most of us S & T comes into it, but trying to stay centred gives us a better chance of a good club to ball contact as there is far less lateral movement going on.

Go, tell me I'm wrong!

S

Snelly

I don't understand the original question. What does stay centered mean?

And I don't understand most of the responses either. "Pivot around a flexed leg". Eh? All manner of issues being caused by having a 50/50 weight distribution? Really?

Loads of you really baffle me with your ideas on golf sometimes. New laws of physics for balls, smash rates, pivots, tilts, stacks, pronating etc etc. It is all genuinely beyond my comprehension and bears no relation to the game I have played (quite well at times) over the past 30 years.

I love your enthusiasm but really, in all honesty, I have no idea why you devote so much thinking time to it as I will tell you now for a fact, it will make sod all difference.

Procrastinating on an internet forum about the technical intricacies of the golf swing won't help your game. Lots of practice is the only way you will get better. There are no short cuts.

Free your minds from this technical approach! Remember when Sam Snead was asked what he thought of diuring the golf swing he replied "Nothing. It would be impossible to hit a good shot if I didn't empty my mind before settling over the ball."

Wise words.

steve_wood

Medal Winner
Visit site
I don't understand the original question. What does stay centered mean?

And I don't understand most of the responses either. "Pivot around a flexed leg". Eh? All manner of issues being caused by having a 50/50 weight distribution? Really?

Loads of you really baffle me with your ideas on golf sometimes. New laws of physics for balls, smash rates, pivots, tilts, stacks, pronating etc etc. It is all genuinely beyond my comprehension and bears no relation to the game I have played (quite well at times) over the past 30 years.

I love your enthusiasm but really, in all honesty, I have no idea why you devote so much thinking time to it as I will tell you now for a fact, it will make sod all difference.

Procrastinating on an internet forum about the technical intricacies of the golf swing won't help your game. Lots of practice is the only way you will get better. There are no short cuts.

Free your minds from this technical approach! Remember when Sam Snead was asked what he thought of diuring the golf swing he replied "Nothing. It would be impossible to hit a good shot if I didn't empty my mind before settling over the ball."

Wise words.

So its not just me then thats baflled by all this. Excellent.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

It's a poor phrase "loading up the right side" as all traditional swingers (!) just turn around the spine and the natural balance shift of the shoulders automatically moves some of the weight to approximately in the inside of the right foot. I don't like the "pivot around the right leg" or "left leg" because that isn't (imo) what is actually happening - this will just encourage swaying.

If your basic address is right, then add in a decent takeaway and your weight should be naturally sorted.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Lots of practice is the only way you will get better.

Practicing what though? Swinging with no thought about what you are doing?

Surely you need some idea of how the swing works, or what is happening in your swing to give practice some point.

I'm not being pedantic or critical of your appraoch Snelly. I would like to have a more instinctive approach to the game, but I admit I don't. Genuinely interested to hear how one goes about not thinking about the swing mechanics but still learns to hit it better. Are you advocating reacting purely to the shot and adjusting your swing accordingly?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Procrastinating on an internet forum about the technical intricacies of the golf swing won't help your game.

Wise words.

It's helping mine!
Haven't improved over the last 10 or so years so needed fresh impetus.
Heard golf commentators talking about S&T & thought I'd have a look. I found this forum, read some posts & thought I'd give it a go...............nothing to lose really.
My irons & fairway woods are going as well as they ever have, it's just the driver I'm having issues with at the moment. Only been using S&T for a few weeks, but I have to admit, I've not taken it to the course yet, only the range.
Can't wait,

Slime.

P.S. You're never too old to learn!