Lessons started

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep! Been saying for ages to PP's that I was going to have some and last sat morning I had my first. Got another tomorrow night. Fortunate to not have to pay for them so no idea why I've held off so long. Pro at my course (Wharton park, Bewdley) has a lovely teaching room, all brand new equipment too.

Made some slight changes last week, managed to get up the range this week to work on it also. Trying to stand up more, and get rid of my tendency to tilt my head on backswing. Only hit 7 iron, club head speed of 80mph pleased my pro. The head movement is causing me to lose height thought the swing and laugh angle is down at 15ish. Needs to be more 17.5 upwards he was saying. Won't mention carry as it'll get scoffed at and picked apart. Also keep the club head closed all the way through the backswing but getting stance/head movement sorted first.

Really looking forward to getting stuck in and seeing my game slowly improve. To those who like me, keep saying, 'I'm going to.....' Bite the bullet and get it done!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Free lessons - result!!

You'll find as many on here swear by lessons as swear they're a waste of time and money apart from getting the basics. I'm of the former mindset and have regular lessons and know 100% I'm a better golfer for them...in fact wouldn't still be playing golf without them.

Enjoy and hope to hear of your continued progress.

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have always played off about 18 in societies , and it's always been a fair account . The last 4 months I've been having lessons and working solidly on my swing at the range at least 4/5 times a week . I have took everything into account that he has told me and drilled it into my swing . I have recently joined a course and also worked solid on my short game . I am currently holding back on putting cards in for a handicap but I believe I could easily be put off as low as 9 the way I am striking the ball . Lessons are great in my opinion keep it up 👍

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Free lessons - result!!

You'll find as many on here swear by lessons as swear they're a waste of time and money apart from getting the basics. I'm of the former mindset and have regular lessons and know 100% I'm a better golfer for them...in fact wouldn't still be playing golf without them.

Enjoy and hope to hear of your continued progress.

You and me both Amanda. Huge fan of lessons

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nothing against lessons but personally I prefer to work things out for myself unless I really get stuck !...

I've had an issue with my driver of late and I've narrowed it down to not following through with my swing which for some reason I'd stopped doing and couldn't for the life of me figure out why until I was chatting to a p/p the other day when something suddenly struck a chord, at about the time it all went "Pete Tong" I'd changed my footwear from trainers to golf shoes which rubbed my ankles a bit and I've been compensating for it by not following through so I changed back to my trainers and "bingo" sorted !...:thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Nothing against lessons but personally I prefer to work things out for myself unless I really get stuck !...

I've had an issue with my driver of late and I've narrowed it down to not following through with my swing which for some reason I'd stopped doing and couldn't for the life of me figure out why until I was chatting to a p/p the other day when something suddenly struck a chord, at about the time it all went "Pete Tong" I'd changed my footwear from trainers to golf shoes which rubbed my ankles a bit and I've been compensating for it by not following through so I changed back to my trainers and "bingo" sorted !...:thup:

I understand what you're saying and admire anyone who ploughs their own paths, but my argument is if you're not a pro or low level player, how can you be sure you're practicing properly and interpreting stuff off the internet correctly

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I understand what you're saying and admire anyone who ploughs their own paths, but my argument is if you're not a pro or low level player, how can you be sure you're practicing properly and interpreting stuff off the internet correctly[/QUOTE]

Because it will either work or it won't. Its pretty simple Homer.
If something works, keep doing it. If it doesn't work out how to make it work.

One thing I have learned in 29 years of playing golf is that there is no "correct" way of doing things. Person to person there is only what works. Ok, like everything there is a baseline, or spine, of fundamentals and some downright tricky ole physics. But the application of the tools and levers across the spectrum of golfers will always, always boil down to what eorks whether someone defines it as correct or not.
My mate as a prime example, cack handed baseball grip, swings out of plane a bit like Furyk... plays off 2. A pro would have a heart attack watching him, christ on a bike I nearly do. But boy can he get a ball round the course.

Out of curiosity, why are you a fan of lessons so vehmently? I joined the forum some 2 and a bit years ago (maybe longer) and your handicap has pretty much been the same. Not by a lonk chalk a pop at you, just curious as the volume and frequency of lessons you have had in that time, coupled with that vehmency, makes me think they can't be that great if the total expenditure actually equals no difference. Again, not a pop but just curious.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I understand what you're saying and admire anyone who ploughs their own paths, but my argument is if you're not a pro or low level player, how can you be sure you're practicing properly and interpreting stuff off the internet correctly

No two people will ever have the same swing and what works for one may not work for another so the trick to having lessons is to "pick out and adapt the bits that best suit your requirements" then put the rest aside for a rainy day !...:thup:

Agent Pies

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yep! Been saying for ages to PP's that I was going to have some and last sat morning I had my first. Got another tomorrow night. Fortunate to not have to pay for them so no idea why I've held off so long. Pro at my course (Wharton park, Bewdley) has a lovely teaching room, all brand new equipment too.

Made some slight changes last week, managed to get up the range this week to work on it also. Trying to stand up more, and get rid of my tendency to tilt my head on backswing. Only hit 7 iron, club head speed of 80mph pleased my pro. The head movement is causing me to lose height thought the swing and laugh angle is down at 15ish. Needs to be more 17.5 upwards he was saying. Won't mention carry as it'll get scoffed at and picked apart. Also keep the club head closed all the way through the backswing but getting stance/head movement sorted first.

Really looking forward to getting stuck in and seeing my game slowly improve. To those who like me, keep saying, 'I'm going to.....' Bite the bullet and get it done!

Slightly OT but I love Wharton Park. Wouldn't want to join though as walking it would kill you!