Less is more?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
From several of your recent posts you have had a lot of good rounds.Following those it could be that you have been trying to hit a bit further/faster and your earlier rhythm has gone.
If your hands are in the state you say they are you must be playing and practicing too much. A tired body and mind - bad golf.
If all else fails line up on a distant target and only think of that when you swing.

Next time you play be careful not to try and not think about the swing if that makes sense

If you make your mind think i must not think about the swing guess what it will think about the swing, a bit like mustnt hit the ball into the pond, what happens next in the ball goes !

You must focus on seeing the ball in your mind fly to the hole or landing place and keep this clearly in your mind and let your natural swing do its thing

Good luck and hope your next game is what you wish it to be

I find if things are going a little astray ,I focus on Grip,Posture and Alignment and try to dismiss any other swing thoughts altogether ,before too long I am striking the ball much better and then try to build up thoughts to improve consistancy.

This may sound daft coming from me given the amount of lessons and range work I do but is it not simply a case of too much. I think you are hitting balls in what they call the conscious competence phase where you are reasonably proficient but have to think about it all the time. You never switch off and just hit the ball. Perhaps the only time you have truly let go was the back nine on the course where it clicked.

It just sounds to me as though you are thinking about every thing in infinite detail and you have so many swing thoughts in your head its impossible to focus. I was in the same position until about three years ago when the collective masses on here told me the same thing. Now I tend to have just one thought in my head and trust the range work I've put in and rely on my swing. Granted my handicap is still rising but 80% of that is the short game demons (mental again although the technique was flawed too) and the ball striking since I went to the new teacher before Christmas is more consistent.

I still have rounds like the roll up last week where I couldn't find two swings the same and had a real bad day but there was still some good in there to take away. I guess KISS (keep it simple stupid) is apt for the both of us

Thanks guys - very much appreciated and just a day not striving/trying to fix things has already improved my mind-set. Even had a full nights sleep without swing thoughts keeping me awake. I won't swing a club until Wednesday and then will start with some short game practice and gradually build up to a full swing when I feel ready to. I've bought some of those foam balls and will practice in the field behind the house as even the range feels too pressured right now (think Tin Cup!).

Caddying tomorrow so looking forward to that as I was due to play and can at least offer something for the team. David is also caddying for my stand-in so we're doing our bit.

Thanks again...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Update. Just hit 50 stripey foam balls without a thought except to stand there and swing easy and hit them. Every single one was consistent and with a lovely flight (7 iron). Not even questioning the whys and wherefores rather than enjoying the feeling. Plan to do that for a few days before hitting the range and proper balls.