lengths of shafts- does it help?!?!

icox54381

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hello everyone. I've been told by one of my friends that if a shaft has a little taken off of it it gives yu more control. My superquad has 1/2 an inch off of it and doesnt seem to make any difference. is my friend correct?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
In alot of cases it certainly can. It depends on your swing, posture and swing release. Long shafts can be harder to control and hit consistently as you have to bring the club back to impact with less margin for error. if the hands are struggling to release, neck shots can be common. Taking some length off can centralise the strike. The swing weight and balance will need to be reassessed if you're taking chunks out of the shaft length.

Personally, i have changed drivers recently, going from the standard long Ping shaft to a custom fit Titleist length around 1 inch shorter. Much better for me.

Note the trend for longer and light shafts to get Joe Average more distance for same effort. Very questionable if you get more control. Most serious fitters advise against this trend!

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have just gone from a TM Burner 2.0 driver to a TM R6 on which the shaft is around 1" shorter. I made the switch because a wanted a flex shaft and the Burner is no longer available so had to change to get the shaft I wanted/needed. Although I am still bedding in the R6 I have hit dozens of balls on the range with it and believe I have more control as well as more length. The control I attribute to the shorter shaft and the added length to the flex shaft.

Hope I'm right!