Leg Movement.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a problem with a slice which isnt helped by too much leg movement. Is there any video tips/drill I can watch/do to help keep my legs working the right way?

I play off 16 just now and am more of a visual learner than a feel player. I am ok with irons but struggle off the tee.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a problem with a slice which isnt helped by too much leg movement. Is there any video tips/drill I can watch/do to help keep my legs working the right way?

I play off 16 just now and am more of a visual learner than a feel player. I am ok with irons but struggle off the tee.

Hi. When you say you slice, do you mean the ball starts left and finishes right of your target?

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My irons are not too bad but with rescue and driver yeah they start left and end up right sometime very right. I hope to video my swing over the bank holiday for "open surgery" on here.

I am also pretty new to this game in regards to wanting to get better by practising the right things.

I suppose I dont help by aiming left at times to allow for a lot of movement left to right but when I do hit right, as in good connection, it stays left and usually ends up in trouble.

My problem has been when I do hit a good shot I dont know what I do right but I am beginning to get an understanding of the correct way to swing, hence the reason I know I have too much movement in my legs.

Oh I have so much to learn about this game.....

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
From this months ( probably last months by now, thinking about it ) GM, a couple of ideas that might help.

1) Tie a scarf round your thighs and practise swinging.

2) Practise swinging with your feet together.

The first is to get your legs working together, the second is all about posture and balance.

PS - I am not an expert, but I know how to read like one ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Farney, a few questions if I may
How often do you practice
How often do you play
Whats your handicap and what do you want to get too
If you dont have a handicap, whats your best score.

There are 2 ways to fix a slice. The easy way and the hard way
The way you answer the previous questions will indicate which cure you should use. :)

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Farney, a few questions if I may
How often do you practice
How often do you play
Whats your handicap and what do you want to get too
If you dont have a handicap, whats your best score.

1. Try at least once a week at a driving.
2. At least once a week in the winter and twice , three times if Im lucky in the summer.
3. 16.3 (best medal round was a +14) hoping to get to single figures in 3 years.

From last June when I started to record stats Im only hitting 24% fairways and 12 GIRs. Putting 32.4 (always room for improvement there, if only there was some peice pof kit to help me :cool )

So Im looking at a long term plan/solution.

M1tch

Head Pro
Visit site
what are do is ! just think that my irons and foot are stuck to the floor and i can move them and it works !

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

A bit off-topic, so no help to you, but I don't envy you with a slice on the 18th at your place. The car park and the starter's window scared me witless - and I've got a hook... :)

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit off-topic, so no help to you, but I don't envy you with a slice on the 18th at your place. The car park and the starter's window scared me witless - and I've got a hook... :)

Smacked 1 right into tha carpark in yesterdays medal, full of cars, and missed every single one of the.phew. That was the first I put one there. Normally I put them on the beach. :(

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok.Put your feet up, here we go.
The shot that starts left is caused by the path of the swing moving to the left through impact (left divots). When the clubface is pointing in the same direction (left), you hit the ball straight left.
When the clubface is pointing to the right of the path of the swing, sidespin is put on the ball (glancing blow), moving it in the air to the right.
So, to cure the slice you need to improve the path of the swing and ensure the clubface is pointing in the same direction of the swing i.e. straight.
Thats the hard way. :D
If you want to learn the easy way, pm me :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Im off to the range today. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks Bob, that makes sense to me.

Cheers.
If your going to the range, try this.
Its a variation on the 3 ball drill
Place a ball on the mat and stand two tees up upside down, one 8 inches in front of the ball and 2 inches to the left. Place the other tee 8 inches behind the ball and 2 inches to the right.
The two tees and the ball should now be in a straight line pointing left of your target.
Then try and hit the ball without hitting the tees.
That will help you improve the path of your swing.
If the ball then starts straight and spins off to the right, its because the clubface is still pointing to the right of the swing path. In that case, check your grip or have someone else check it for you.
If you are in any doubt, go for a lesson with your local PGA Pro
HTH
Good luck and have fun :D

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great instruction Bob. You make it sound so simple on here, a lesson in real life must be great.

Andy

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's probably irrelevant in this case but i cured - well , 90% of the time anyway - my slice by altering my initial take away . i use to start my take-away with my arms which automatically led to an out to in path as i cast over the top . I now start the take-away with my upper body which has drastically improved the plane which the club takes , making the downswing a lot easier to keep on a straight path as it goes through the ball striking zone. I'm not interested at getting a draw at the moment as straight is ok with me.

Couple this with Dr Bobmac's ' keep in the gate' tip and my ball striking and flight has improved immeasurably of late .