left knee movement/ collapse

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been to the range today to work on my driving, but in the last lesson I had the pro told me to stop my left knee from collapsing. But what is considered it collapsing? When I have been hitting big drives my left knee moves forward over the foot which helps me create more turn in my hips. So is this a case of it collapsing cos it used to always move towards the right in my swing.

Any feedback much appreciated guys cheers.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well he did explain but I'm not overly sure if this is the movement I'm after, and I would but the pro I use is an hour and a half away so not gona travel just for that, and was just looking to see if anyone on here might be able to help.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm no expert (far from it!) but he's not talking about on your takeaway is he?
A collapsing left knee will result in a reverse pivot which will rob you off distance and get you coming into the ball much too steeply.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say try and keep everything from your knees down quiet on the backswing.
You need to turn your upper half against your lower half to get some resistance in the backswing.

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
Let me throw this into the mix...

I've recently started collapsing my left knee slightly on the backswing, which has helped me turn my hips more (I wasn't turning them enough before) and now I'm hitting the ball straighter and further than ever before and I really think its made a big difference. I make sure I don't reverse pivot though.

Achilles

Challenge Tour Pro
www.cirencestergolfclub.co.uk
Let me throw this into the mix...

I've recently started collapsing my left knee slightly on the backswing, which has helped me turn my hips more (I wasn't turning them enough before) and now I'm hitting the ball straighter and further than ever before and I really think its made a big difference. I make sure I don't reverse pivot though.

Not to throw a spanner in the works here, but this is exactly what I've stopped doing recently....but with the same good results!

My left leg was collapsing too much (and tends to when I'm tired) which was causing me to send a lot of shots left. Keeping my lower half as steady as possible has really helped, most noticeably with the driver.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm no expert (far from it!) but he's not talking about on your takeaway is he?
A collapsing left knee will result in a reverse pivot which will rob you off distance and get you coming into the ball much too steeply.

Yes it is on the take away that he's talking about, and cos there were other things in my swing that needed changing and seemed more important at the time I forgot to ask this. I have tried to keep the lower half of my body quiet as bob says but I seem to always get the same result of a massive slice but when I let the left knee move over the left foot I seem to get a nice straight an long drive. And if I don't let it move I feel that I am not turning the hips enough.

My swing is fine with irons and wedges I get a nice straight shot but it's just with the driver and 3 wood that I get this masice slice.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I can see myself spending a lot of time in "Ask the Experts"

Project0-1.jpg

Well done. Given the choice of backswing or downswing, you guessed the right one.
It hardly makes you Butch 'Smiffy' Harmon :mad: :mad: :mad:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well done. Given the choice of backswing or downswing, you guessed the right one.
It hardly makes you Butch 'Smiffy' Harmon :mad: :mad: :mad:

There's no need to get all tetchy just because I've been chosen as an ambassador
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ;)

I was flabbergasted at that decision. I could have sworn you and Mike had met before :D :D :D