Lead foot movement in backswing

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does anyone have any opinions about the lead foot moving in the backswing to facilitate a bigger turn / aid those with constant back pain / lack of flexibility?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
A la' Tom Watson?

And Nicklaus, Bubba etc etc- yeah there's a lot of golfers out there with a little bit of movement here.

However, it's almost a given 'fundamental' that the lead foot should be planted. I watch a lot of club players and try to pick apart what leads them to hit the ball in the direction and distance that they do.

The big hitters make a huge turn, loads of wrist hinge and often overswing. They also have fast hips on the downswing which precede the whipping of the club at a fast speed.

Shorter hitters tend to have minimal turn, shorter backswings, or collapse the wrists at the top, then throw the club down at the ball (often out-to-in, or slow down further to steer the clubhead into impact to avoid a slice). Or they suck the club way inside on the backswing out-of-sync with the turn and swing back through the way they came on a 'flat plane'. Balanced finish depends on swinging the arms slowly.

But why not (anyone remember the Brian Sparks video from Positive Impact golf) make a huge, unrestricted (by lead foot) turn back?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mr Jones is your man

[video=youtube;GXIo8jj3cl0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXIo8jj3cl0[/video]

So, allow the lead foot to come up if it needs to (don't force it), no need to keep your head still or eyes on the ball, overswinging produces power, big hip turn and keep the backswing loose and lazy.

In the past 4 years, I've had a number of lessons. Thinking back, I've spent over £200 to be told NOT to do these things. Why should I trust this Bobby guy anyway? What has he ever done? He doesn't even have custom fit clubs or a tour bag with his name on it, for Pete's sake.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
One of the best swing ever IMO

[video=youtube_share;BosPcRZHOsI]https://youtu.be/BosPcRZHOsI[/video]

Little bit of lead foot action in there.

I think this is one of those things that is personal to specific players.

Some need it, some don't.