Lawn bowls

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I seem to recall a stat from a few years ago where numerically golfers were more at risk from injury/death than any other sports
I had to deal with 4 or 5 myself, couple of really tough ones.

Sadly our wee bowls club lost a couple of members this year, both under 70, not on the green thankfully.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s a weird top 10 when they change their criteria randomly between the places. A lot of people die at bowls, they should outlaw that sport. But only a handful die in base jumping, however, they are probably doing it in a spectacular way.

It’s basically the same discussion as dying with covid versus dying of covid.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
My father died just over two years ago on the bowling green. You probably think you're being funny though.

It just shocks me to think that any activity can be bad for you, when all the advice would be to stay active even into old age.
I copied this advice re. lawn bowls:
"Bowling poses considerable risks for back strains, sprains, spasms and other spine injuries."

There is one school of thought that says exercise is good for you.
Another affirms it may not be so good, so always have a chat with your doctor before taking up anything new.

I have to believe that just going for a walk is as safe as it gets and the advantages of walking include better physical and mental health.
But humans did not evolve to walk. They walked long distances in order to evolve.
This did not include picking up and releasing a heavy bowling ball.