Launch Monitor

Frainyy2k

Visit site
I’m pretty new to golf and high handicap so don’t really have an idea of how far I hit each ball.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the (preferably North West or Edinburgh Glasgow ways) that you can pay to use a launch monitor to just grab data?

Thanks in advance

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m pretty new to golf and high handicap so don’t really have an idea of how far I hit each ball.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the (preferably North West or Edinburgh Glasgow ways) that you can pay to use a launch monitor to just grab data?

Thanks in advance

Why don't you just go to a range and use the distance markers?

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you’re close to Blackpool, mike newton does a gapping session for £40.

The TourX guys in Wigan let you rent trackman for an hour for £40.

Quite a lot of fitting places will do a gapping session with you so you know how far you hit each club, and help you make any changes to your current setup if required.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My local range balls have no bearing on the distances I hit. Yes there's a consistent average distance falloff, but I find it pretty useless for judging carry etc.

Fair enough...or just calibrate your range distances when you are out playing and can get a good measure of your actual distances with clubs. Anyway - if you want better idea then you can indeed go well tech. Or go for a lesson or two with a pro and you'll most likely be using decent balls and then you'll find out - and as a beginner you'll get valuable coaching (much more important than finding out how far you hit the ball)

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Fair enough...or just calibrate your range distances when you are out playing and can get a good measure of your actual distances with clubs. Anyway - if you want better idea then you can indeed go well tech. Or go for a lesson or two with a pro and you'll most likely be using decent balls and then you'll find out - and as a beginner you'll get valuable coaching (much more important than finding out how far you hit the ball)

Our Pro has just a brand new tech suite installed with all the latest gadgets, so it's definitely on my near horizon!:swing:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why don't you just go to a range and use the distance markers?

Many range balls are reduced distance balls but it's not always clear what the drop off is and some may be damaged so hardly conducive to consistent numbers. Even as a new golfer, tech can help and give a far better average. I also know many ranges where the published distances are way out when checked with a laser rangefinder and as a newbie I'd doubt the OP has one

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Many range balls are reduced distance balls but it's not always clear what the drop off is and some may be damaged so hardly conducive to consistent numbers. Even as a new golfer, tech can help and give a far better average. I also know many ranges where the published distances are way out when checked with a laser rangefinder and as a newbie I'd doubt the OP has one

All true - which makes me baffled how we managed to work out distance in the past and before tech came along...;)

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site

Didn't you just contradict yourself? Saying many range ball are reduced distance, but saying that what the range markers show do not correlate to what a range finder tell you.

My old club has a small range where they use reduced compression balls which are fit to the ranges you could hit them. So if you hit a range ball 150 and it lands at 150, you can hit a ball 150.

I saw a young lad tee up a real golf ball on the range and he launched over the trees at the back which was a 250carry, he probably made 300yds or very close to it, but then he teed up a range ball and it landed around the 250 marker, so more often than not the range ball is fit to the size of the range.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All true - which makes me baffled how we managed to work out distance in the past and before tech came along...;)

I did it the old fashioned way and bashed balls and paced it out

Didn't you just contradict yourself? Saying many range ball are reduced distance, but saying that what the range markers show do not correlate to what a range finder tell you.

My old club has a small range where they use reduced compression balls which are fit to the ranges you could hit them. So if you hit a range ball 150 and it lands at 150, you can hit a ball 150.

I saw a young lad tee up a real golf ball on the range and he launched over the trees at the back which was a 250carry, he probably made 300yds or very close to it, but then he teed up a range ball and it landed around the 250 marker, so more often than not the range ball is fit to the size of the range.

I might not have explained very well. Many range balls are very poor in terms of quality and don't travel normal distances and some are designed not to go as far, but in many cases no-one tells you what the % drop off should be. You hit a range ball with say a 7 iron and it only goes 140 yards when you normally hit 150 (assuming strike etc is ok). Is that you, a dodgy ball or a ball designed not to go the full distance?

With regards the targets, I've stood on ranges and the target is marked up at say 100 yards and from that bay it could be anything from 90-110 yards away (one was actually 122). Even if you zap it from different bays, the reading will vary and so it's very hard without a laser to know with confidence whether that target is at the right distance shown

Frainyy2k

Visit site
Thanks everyone, managed to find a very good place in St Andrews.

I appreciate I could just go out on the course and pace it but as the tech is available id rather get an idea first and have a half decent chance of hitting a green than completely guessing and be long/short (chances are i'll miss right or left first anyway but that's another matter :D )