Lake balls

1948griff

Medal Winner
Visit site
Suspect this may have been done to death before.

Given the cost of new premium balls i.e. Z-Star and Pro V1, lake balls become quite an attractive prospect.
But...is there a noticeable difference in performance?

Cheers

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If still wet they'll perform even better :)

Sorry but I'm not good enough to discern the difference myself so I'll happily play any 'pre-owned' balls unless damaged

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shot a 71 with a ball I got in lake ball bulk order from th'ebay a few weeks back.

Won't be using them in the summer in proper competitions, but at this time of year when the course and weather are equally unpredictable, have no problem whatsoever using them.

1948griff

Medal Winner
Visit site
Shot a 71 with a ball I got in lake ball bulk order from th'ebay a few weeks back.

Won't be using them in the summer in proper competitions, but at this time of year when the course and weather are equally unpredictable, have no problem whatsoever using them.

Out of curiosity why will you not be using them in summer competitions?

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out of curiosity why will you not be using them in summer competitions?

Because there is less unpredictability on the rest of the course, in particular on the greens.

Our greens are stupidly fast and so when playing in a comp want / need the confidence that a chip will react how I expect and don't want any element of doubt - other than in my own ability!

This time of year all my chips / approaches are pretty much landing at the hole and stopping in the wet so how it spins / doesn't spin is less relevant.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I brought 2 dozen pearl Pro V1x in around October last year to try over the winter as a possible switch from the V1

I also had 12 or so given to me by my dad that were found on the course.

The both play, to me, exactly the same, very little difference in performance.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
When I was in the states last year I bought a couple of dozen balls with the same company logo from the lake ball section of one of the golf stores - obviously logo overrun rather than lake balls - kept me going most of the year and since nobody else I played with in Scotland was likely to have a ball with the same obscure Florida IT company logo on them it saves me making marks on my ball.

Brian_C

Club Champion
www.briancurranphotography.com
I use 'em from time to time, picking up a box while in Tesco. I'm not good enough to say if there's a differance between new and lake balls. But the way I see it - golf balls are waterproof, right? So, I just can't see how water could get into a ball, and hamper its quality. Good enough for me.
I'd love to see some impartial and independant data comparing Lake balls to New balls.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im considering getting some for the practice bag as id like a few more than the 80 or so i have so that i dont have to collect as offten. And there doesnt seem to be any other way of getting a load of golf balls at a cheaper price for just practice purposes. I have read something online a while back that says its the length of time that the balls are underwater that affects them and they can be unprdicatable. But sure if that was the case then places like lakeballs.com would be that much business and more people would know about it.

G

guest100718

If you shop arounf you can get premium balls for around the £16 per doz mark .