Lake balls....you gotta laugh.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I regularly see on various selling pages folk scrambling over buying lake balls and then see the same type people buying the latest £300+ driver, you really gotta laugh :whoo:

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
I regularly see on various selling pages folk scrambling over buying lake balls and then see the same type people buying the latest £300+ driver, you really gotta laugh :whoo:

but can you really put a price on turbulators and dragonfly technology???

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The cost can soon mount up if you lose a lot. And lake balls are fine. They are made of such inert materials that immersion in water, even for long periods (which is unlikely anyway), is not likely to have any effect. I used lake balls for years without one problem.

And remember, someone who has paid £300 for a driver may have saved for 5 years for it, we're not all rolling in it.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The cost can soon mount up if you lose a lot. And lake balls are fine. They are made of such inert materials that immersion in water, even for long periods (which is unlikely anyway), is not likely to have any effect. I used lake balls for years without one problem.

And remember, someone who has paid £300 for a driver may have saved for 5 years for it, we're not all rolling in it.

If a driver cost £300, and you save for 5 years, you can pick it up for under £100 as it will be "5 year old technology"

Now how many lake balls can you buy with that spare £200

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If a driver cost £300, and you save for 5 years, you can pick it up for under £100 as it will be "5 year old technology"

Now how many lake balls can you buy with that spare £200

Why can't you save for 5 years and then buy the driver. That would make it the latest technology

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stick your lake balls under a uv light before it's all "cleaned up" and tell me it's still fine.

Unless you are Cat 1, I doubt if you would notice any playing difference between a new ball and a "pearl" lake ball from a reputable company - and the same might well apply to a Cat 1.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk

LOL....if you loose a lot of balls then the £300 driver is doing little for your game. Got to laugh at people who arrive in their expensive cars, spend a fortune on really good gear and play with crap balls. I can use two or more balls in a round, all depends if it gets scuffed up with a wedge shot or not. Don't skimp on golf balls.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Balls are a consumable though. Buy a ball that costs £3 each and each one you lose starts to bite. Play a tight course, plenty of water etc and you can lose £10 no bother. That hurts. Add that on to your comp fee, a drink etc and suddenly your day seems expensive.

Buy a driver for £300, couldn't do it personally but I have no issue with those who do, and you don't think about depreciation each time you take it out. You take the hit once, when you buy it, and then it doesn't cost you any more from that point onwards.

It's a psychological thing.

(I stock up on Pearl Lake balls in the winter and relax throughout the season. I got some Callaway Pearl balls for £0.33 each last winter. You don't stress about losing those and if one magically lasts all 18 holes then I don't care if it is then only good for the practice bag. Far better than watching someone cry over a lost brand new ProV1 that has been duck hooked on the 1st)

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
It's a psychological thing.

(I stock up on Pearl Lake balls in the winter and relax throughout the season. I got some Callaway Pearl balls for £0.33 each last winter. You don't stress about losing those and if one magically lasts all 18 holes then I don't care if it is then only good for the practice bag. Far better than watching someone cry over a lost brand new ProV1 that has been duck hooked on the 1st)

I dont stress about loosing a Prov, its the cost to the score card that's important. If you feel better about loosing a low cost ball then fine but I want a ball that will perform consistently and predictably on every shot, especially around the greens and in comps.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Sod's law states that expensive balls get lost quicker than cheap ones.
In other words, playing with cheap balls reduces the number that end up in water or OOB, and so improves your scores.
Therefore everyone should play with Dunlop balls. QED. :D

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If I'm going to the disco I always take brand new Pro V1s

Seriously, I don't see the relevance of this comment. All the ones I've used have looked perfectly OK in daylight & played like brand new ones.

If you think a urethane covered premium ball performs the same straight out the lake as it does straight out the wrapper then no it's not relevant and if you're happy to peg it up on your weekend medal/strokeplay event then again no it's not relevant but for me, I'll happily use one for a hack round of 9 holes during the week but when I come to score and return cards, it's no lake ball for me.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never stressed once about losing a ProV1 , I have probably gone through about 15 to 20 dozen since they first came out, all found on the course.