Lake Balls - where do you buy yours from?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm with the "don't use lake balls" side. Buy them if you want to but I would personally have that devil on my shoulder saying 'is it worth potential lack of performance for a few pence a ball?'
It's easy to decry research as being done in the favour of the manufacturers. I see it a lot in my work with the 'well they would say that wouldn't they' approach. What it really boils down to, and we see it in all walks of life, is people believe the articles they want to believe and debunk the rest.
But for me, you can get decent, brand new, golf balls nowadays at a very reasonable cost with the knowledge that they haven't been submerged in water for weeks/months before being recovered and re-used. I'm not saying my view is correct but I do believe it's more scientifically based.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
i had a golf trip to the Vilnius Grand Resort a few years ago and bought 2 dozen Zstars lake balls and the performance was awful, which i put down to using hired clubs.

on my return i hit a new Zstar along side the lake balls and the difference was massive - the lake balls felt heavier off the club and were a good 2 clubs shorter.

i wouldn't even buy lake balls for when i practice.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with the "don't use lake balls" side. Buy them if you want to but I would personally have that devil on my shoulder saying 'is it worth potential lack of performance for a few pence a ball?'
It's easy to decry research as being done in the favour of the manufacturers. I see it a lot in my work with the 'well they would say that wouldn't they' approach. What it really boils down to, and we see it in all walks of life, is people believe the articles they want to believe and debunk the rest.
But for me, you can get decent, brand new, golf balls nowadays at a very reasonable cost with the knowledge that they haven't been submerged in water for weeks/months before being recovered and re-used. I'm not saying my view is correct but I do believe it's more scientifically based.
Agreed. I've thought about buying lake balls but ultimately I'd rather buy a box of decent soft balls for £17-18 and know that the quality will be consistent throughout the box rather than potentially varying.