Lads... I have just had a call from...

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Moor Allerton GC and they have a offer on at the moment of no and I repeat NO joining fee :)

No joining fee. Save up to £1000.

We currently have membership opportunities and to encourage golfers to join we are offering a "No Joining Fee" deal. Why Join?

At Moor Allerton, you don't need to book your weekend 4 ball a week ahead.

Even at 9.30AM on a Saturday morning, you can just walk up to the tee because we have three tees.

We are looking for new members to join one of the best clubs in Yorkshire.

Our twenty seven holes are top quality and offer a good challenge - seventeen of the holes have water. We also have one hundred and eight bunkers and many of our American style greens are multi-tiered.

Our greens have been immaculate for the last few years and described as "probably the best in Yorkshire."

We welcome new members and they are helped to integrate with drawn events and just our simple, friendly approach.

http://www.magc.co.uk/

The membership is £1335 for the year so £111 a month... I am not sure I should tell the wife she will just spoil the dream.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Am I missing something? 27 holes with 3 tees (each 9) and not having to worry about booking, how does it work when you get to your tenth hole and find someone standing on it waiting to tee off their first hole?

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I have no idea, it was in GM I think or it might have been Moortown not sure. I think its 18 and a 9 so if its busy on the 1st and not on the 9th you can start on the back nine and finish on the front nine.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think they will probably rotate each nine and have an 18 hole course always in play. you may find that the 9 holes that are not in use for the 18 hole course may be closed and not available. That is something worth checking out.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It certainly looks a goer and i'de be on the phone to set up a 'test' round- preferably on a saturday. I can't for the moment work out the various lines of probability involved in calculating likely foulups of a three track nine holer but give it a while and i'll chew it over.

First impression is of a nice looking place that's for sure.

Get down there and find out what the crack is- would be my humble advice.

good luck,
bill

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
It looks like a nice course and the no joining fee promotion is a real saving.

However I would share in Brendys comments and have some real concern at not having to book tee times at weekends. Even though you have 3 starting points i'd still have visions of rocking up on a Saturday morning and seeing a massive queue on each tee.

We have weekend starting times at our course and it works really realy well. A: You're guaranteed to tee off pretty much on time and B: You don't find yourself teeing off with an audience of 20-30 people.

DHM.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Yeah I thought of that, and even though it has no joining fee £1335 is pretty steep, if I had joined last Oct it would have only been £820 :| for the year as I was 31 . I dont drive so a taxi there and back is £15 so thats well over £200 a month on subs and taxis :( next year maybes.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Presuming all three groups of 9 holes are open you will only have two starting points. you will have a nine hole course and an 18 hole course. One group of 9 will form holes 10 to 18 of an 18 hole course and you will not be allowed to start there. If you play the nine hole course you will have to start at hole one of the 18 hole course if you fancy another nine. There are a few clubs (Muckhart springs to mind)up here that do this. They will probably rotate which groups of nine will form the 18 hole setup

Hope this makes sense!!!

As i said in an earlier post its worth checking if the 9 holes that do not form the 18 hole course will be open

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thought about it more. It's a lotta dough for no priority on the course unless it's exclusively members only- even then , all 500 might turn up on the 1st at 8am

The permutations of three groups setting off at once over 27 holes is gargantuan. I think a whole platoon of course marshalls would be needed to run it smoothly.That and a totally 'on it' management team to back it up.

On a more positive note have you looked at the possibility of hiring a gear locker and using a bus? probably not your favoured option but it might cut your marginal travel fees down considerably.I live in London and sometimes you have to think laterally- never moreso than when contriving ways to get out of this dump of a city to play golf.

If you like it then treat yourself to a round as a guest. If nothing else you will be able to put it bed or you may find a gem that many are put off by but turns out to be a blast.
I wouldn't rule it out just yet ...is all i'm really saying ;)

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Cheers Billy, I will pop up there this weekend, the buses dont run up there as there is another course next door which is $700 a month + 450 joining fee so slightly cheaper, I think I will leave it another year before joining a club and get my unofficial hcp down to low teens and then see how the money is.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You're welcome. Here's another strategy that might be worth considering. if you want to hold back a year and chew it over, seek out a muni. that will let you join their pay and play course for a nominal fee. You won't get free golf but you WILL get golf union accreditation and be able to turn in cards for a handicap.

Why?

Because when you go looking for clubs next year being able to wave a handicap certificate will open more interesting opportunities than whipping out a crisp £50 note at Spearmint Rhino's!

Even if you end up joining a club not requiring an H/C - you'll be ahead of the curve and can play as a one-off guest at some true belters (and of course the 'classics').

I think many nomad golfers do this to keep their options open. If you have an H/C there is more courses to choose from. It's that simple.

A final possibility that I hadn't even heard of until a few weeks ago is that many clubs offer limited round memberships at HUGE discounts. You get all the benefits of membership but might typically be limited to 6 or 8 rounds a month.

One of the clubs on my short list offered this option and the price was nearly £600 less a year than the full 7 day , play-as-much-as-you-like deal.

I'll shut up now

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
parmo's optimum transport
1178450162_f73a423bde.jpg