Ladies section

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
Morning, are any of you members of clubs that have a really small ladies section? When I say small, I mean 9 playing members.
If so, may I ask if their section is self financing or subsidised by the club as a whole.
Thanks

Jason.H

Visit site
Our club has a small ladies section. They are encouraged to join and play comps by cheaper membership and no entry fee for comps. I’d say they are well subsidised by the club.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
We've got 15 ladies listed on How Did I Do under the ladies handicaps page. They'd all pay the standard membership rate depending on their status - exactly the same as their male counterparts - so no subsidies would be involved for them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our ladies are subsidised to a large extent in one way only to my knowledge.

The engraving of their trophies are paid for by the club and they have a lot more trophies than the men or the seniors.

The club and the seniors take 20% of the entry fee to cover this (as well as other things) but there are not enough ladies to cover the cost in the same way.

sunshine

Visit site
they have a lot more trophies than the men or the seniors.

I've noticed this at my club too. The ladies section is really small but they have an incredible amount of trophies. A lot of the female members are beginners, so there's probably less than half a dozen players who win them. Their haul at the annual prize giving dinner is ridiculous.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've noticed this at my club too. The ladies section is really small but they have an incredible amount of trophies. A lot of the female members are beginners, so there's probably less than half a dozen players who win them. Their haul at the annual prize giving dinner is ridiculous.

I think one of the big differences with our ladies is that when they have a comp there is a trophy for each of the divisions and they have 3 of them. There was a time when they seemed to have a trophy comp every week.

The club only has a trophy for the overall winner and for regular single days comps we only have about 12 a year.

One of the big changes at our club is that the ladies and the seniors have their own presentation days.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haha
This is also the case at ours. There must be a PhD thesis in this, surely?
In answer to the OP, I don't think that there are any funding specifics, but unlike the OP, we have a large ladies' section.
Thank goodness for punctuation...

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All the sections Including our ladies are self funding. Usually by paying an annual fee around £10 and a comp fee on the day.

LizAig

Visit site
What do you mean by subsidised? We are a small club with a small ladies section - 20 lady members and 6 - 8 play most weeks and 10 on a busy week but also 3 - 6 ladies play 9 holes each week. We fund our own prizes and Lady Captain’s honorarium. We pay £2 for medals and stablefords and £3 for majors. i think this year we will struggle to give out the usual £ amount of vouchers prizes at AGM as this is first year we have offered weekly 9 hole comp so will need to fund that prize as well as the 18 hole comps which we are getting far fewer entrants for as more play the 9 holes. whilst also those ladies are no longer paying to play in 18 hole comps so double whammy but will see at the end of the year. We do a raffle at each of our majors to raise money which works really well and after being turned down year after year to get our awful changing room updated we raised £5000 to do it ourselves (and still have around £3000 of that left). Every year we donate a sum of money to the club for something or other but as we have cancelled one open and may have to cancel another I think our books will not be quite as healthy this year!!

Our membership fees are less than the men’s section - this has been an ongoing discussion for years. Some men will complain that we shouldn’t have same access to comps but we are not given opportunity to pay equal fees - most women would be happy to pay the same fees but then we want access to more club comps at weekends and at that point the discussion starts to falter!! currently there is very little for ladies at weekends apart from our alternative medals - maybe 4 or 5 comps through the year! I think it will happen soon that we get equal access to weekend comps and then I’m happy to pay full fees!

Last edited:

Jason.H

Visit site
Since all of our medals and stablefords have become mixed many women play with their partners in them and then don’t enter/support the ladies comps leading to few entries sometimes just 3 and then come trophy presentation a couple of ladies get a large box of trophies each 😂.
I’m not jealous at all 😂

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
What do you mean by subsidised? We are a small club with a small ladies section - 20 lady members and 6 - 8 play most weeks and 10 on a busy week but also 3 - 6 ladies play 9 holes each week. We fund our own prizes and Lady Captain’s honorarium. We pay £2 for medals and stablefords and £3 for majors. i think this year we will struggle to give out the usual £ amount of vouchers prizes at AGM as this is first year we have offered weekly 9 hole comp so will need to fund that prize as well as the 18 hole comps which we are getting far fewer entrants for as more play the 9 holes. whilst also those ladies are no longer paying to play in 18 hole comps so double whammy but will see at the end of the year. We do a raffle at each of our majors to raise money which works really well and after being turned down year after year to get our awful changing room updated we raised £5000 to do it ourselves (and still have around £3000 of that left). Every year we donate a sum of money to the club for something or other but as we have cancelled one open and may have to cancel another I think our books will not be quite as healthy this year!!

Our membership fees are less than the men’s section - this has been an ongoing discussion for years. Some men will complain that we shouldn’t have same access to comps but we are not given opportunity to pay equal fees - most women would be happy to pay the same fees but then we want access to more club comps at weekends and at that point the discussion starts to falter!! currently there is very little for ladies at weekends apart from our alternative medals - maybe 4 or 5 comps through the year! I think it will happen soon that we get equal access to weekend comps and then I’m happy to pay full fees!

Your club is sexually discriminating against women.

You can't offer a reduced membership based on sex.

Appreciate you probably might not want to identify the club, but it is fundamentally wrong to be operating like this.

I'm booked to play in a medal on Sunday, and I'm out with two ladies. (y)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Appreciate you probably might not want to identify the club, but it is fundamentally wrong to be operating like this.

It’s often a common mistake to assume cheaper fees, irrespective of who they offered to, is discriminatory. Clubs can offer them to specific groups to encourage more members into that group. Yes, it can be argued that those fees have always been low because of gender but all the club has to do is to say it’s a discounted rate to encourage more members…

D

Deleted member 15344

We have a decent size ladies section , their fees go into the main pot , their competitions are subsidised by their comp entry fees

They normally play on a Tuesday with both tees booked out to them every single Tuesday

That was restrictive towards any ladies that worked - the ladies section refused to host any comps Saturday afternoon so the club itself ( when I was comp sec ) made all the Stableford and medals open to all - the ladies tried to vote it down 🤷‍♂️ but it went ahead anyway. We gained a number of younger working ladies and also some very good juniors who played on the weekends - some of them very good , ladies club champs was won by a 2 HC by 16 shots , the ladies then brought in rules that only allowed entry into their main board comp if you had played 4 Tuesday highlighted comps - every single one was during the school term.

One day they will allow the club to be equal and Tuesdays men can also play

Even when we tried to remove the two tee starts on a Tuesday to allow more tee times to be opened up for the rest of the club - we were called sexist bigoted pigs

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just looked at the list. 49 ladies competitions and there are only 66 members 🤣
Not sure why that is supposed to be funny, i know lots of clubs that would love ot have that many in the ladies section.

We have over 60 playing members and we are pretty much self supporting, with the exception is that the lady captain get a honorarium. All our competition entry fees go out in prizes or to fund entries into various outside competitions, if more money is needed we hold fund raisers of various types.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It’s often a common mistake to assume cheaper fees, irrespective of who they offered to, is discriminatory. Clubs can offer them to specific groups to encourage more members into that group. Yes, it can be argued that those fees have always been low because of gender but all the club has to do is to say it’s a discounted rate to encourage more members…

I think all clubs offer discounted rates for different access rights to the facilities - there’s no issue with that, but you cant use gender as a stipulation to restrict people’s access to the golf course.

If a female wants to pay a full membership rate, and have full access, then they absolutely should be allowed to do so.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think all clubs offer discounted rates for different access rights to the facilities - there’s no issue with that, but you cant use gender as a stipulation to restrict people’s access to the golf course.

If a female wants to pay a full membership rate, and have full access, then they absolutely should be allowed to do so.

From what I read in the post the ladies don’t appear to not have access to play golf at the weekend - they just don’t have comps on the weekend

We as a club can’t have comps on a Tuesday yet pay the same as Ladies - are men being discriminated against ?

We aren’t being told we can’t play on Tuesday we just can’t play in the comps on Tuesday - and I suspect that’s the same across many golf clubs.

Ladies at many clubs will be able to play every single day

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
From what I read in the post the ladies don’t appear to not have access to play golf at the weekend - they just don’t have comps on the weekend

We as a club can’t have comps on a Tuesday yet pay the same as Ladies - are men being discriminated against ?

We aren’t being told we can’t play on Tuesday we just can’t play in the comps on Tuesday - and I suspect that’s the same across many golf clubs.

Ladies at many clubs will be able to play every single day

Yes your club is discriminating against both men and women Phil.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
One day they will allow the club to be equal and Tuesdays men can also play

Even when we tried to remove the two tee starts on a Tuesday to allow more tee times to be opened up for the rest of the club - we were called sexist bigoted pigs

My last club in England was equal fees, equal access. All comps apart from the men’s and ladies club championship were open to all. You chose the tee you wanted to play off and the computer did all the shot differential calculations. There were no moans because the club was relatively new and had been like that from day 1. All monies spent came from a central pot.

At a previous club a mixed working party was set up to sort access for all. The ladies voted it out because of the increase in fees. Sadly, half a doz ladies left for another, “more modern club” because they worked 9-5 Monday to Friday and could only get 18 holes in on a Sunday afternoon, apart from 3-4 months a year when they could fit in evening golf.

LizAig

Visit site

You can offer reduced membership to a specific group you are trying to encourage to play at the club - it was introduced at our club before I joined 10 years ago and has been kept because we are such a small section - last time I looked 12% of members are female so that why they still give the reduction. However there is a lot of sexism and that’s why we are slowly fighting against it - I’m one for thinking it’s better to go slow to get everyone on board and it’s working as this year we have played alongside then men on captain’s, vice captain’s and rabbit captains weekend and we are also now allowed to play on the roll ups - supposedly we always were but no one ever told us! We can also now play our alternate medals at any time on a Saturday instead of having to wait till all the men had gone out!

Last time it all kicked off was when the club comp secretary was asked to put on a club comp on each day of a long weekend - he made 2 for men only and when challenged said he organises comps for the majority not the minority - when a lady put in a formal complaint at least three men on committee supported him saying if ladies want to play at the weekend in comps then they need to pay full fees - I’m on committee and went a bit ballistic saying that I then expected no seniors and no juniors and no men ages between 19 and 30 to play at the weekend because they also don’t pay full fees!! Everything went a bit quiet and we were allowed to play! We are getting there slowly!