Ladies match issue

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If a mens match was also 5.5 hours, believe me I would also be moaning. I wouldnt expect to be let through though.

Recently, me and a mate played the local muni, and we caught a 4 ball after 2 holes who were a hold behind. By the 7th they were two holes behind, so we went over and asked if we could go through, which they said was fine. We teed off the par 3 8th with them, and at which point they asked us if we were in the open......

We said no, didnt know that there was one on (they were the last group in it). Anyway, we went through then caught the next group on the 11th. Whilst waiting on the 12th, par 3 (along with 2 other groups), the 4 ball who let us play through caught us. As they had been so gentlemanly, we said they may as well go through, as it was solid fourballs in front, and if we went back behind them, we would only finish about 15 minutes later.

Most times, competitive matches should get precedence, but anyone taking more than 5 hours (unless the whole field is backed up) shouldn't necessarily expect people not to become impatient with them, regardless of gender.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shame when the rational balanced view get drowned with the sterotypical.

Do the latter games in amy club match consistently resist letting faster groups through if a gap opens up?
Yes.

Why?
Because there is normally catering associated with such events and (further) delays impact on everyone from catering staff to other team members (and possibly other groups being catered for if more than one course or starting point).

Is this a licence to ignore basic etiquette?
No. Later groups carry a greater responsibility to keep up. (For men's home matches we have always put the vice captain out in the last game for this reason). However that isn't the be all and end all - it's common for visiting teams to put their weaker pair out last in friendly matches (in some cases their slowest pair!) and the VCs diplomacy gets an early test!

No one had a right to ignore the basic common decency of considerate play, but sometimes you should cut the culprits a little slack

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was more surprised at a team match going out at 9.02, peak time. At clubs that I have been a member of, matches go out in the afternoon and are generally the last groups on the course.

That said, never expect to get let through a mens team match so no different for women (never been behind a womens team match as they play on week days).

I do, however, feel tgat there is an onus on the home team members to ensure that their match keeps up with the pace of play.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was more surprised at a team match going out at 9.02, peak time. At clubs that I have been a member of, matches go out in the afternoon and are generally the last groups on the course.

That said, never expect to get let through a mens team match so no different for women (never been behind a womens team match as they play on week days).

I do, however, feel tgat there is an onus on the home team members to ensure that their match keeps up with the pace of play.

It's common on proprietary our session for members to have a morning slot (ahead of the prime 1000h society slot) and for the match to be catered ahead of it as well.
Members clubs tend to use pm slots for men's matches with dinner, but that's not common for ladies matches.