L.A.B. Putters

TrickyGB

Visit site
Any one used once of these putters?

Been looking at them for about a year, first the Directed Force then the Mezz but there was nowhere near me (NE) where I could try. I've seen recently that Scottsdale now stock, and I think fit them so tempted to take the plunge. I'm a terrible putter and the tech intrigued me. Looks like they've just released one that looks more 'normal' looking too.

Would appreciate the views of anyone who has used one.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
If you are a terrible putter, no change of wand will help. The key factor in bad putting is invariably pace, and the most likely reason you struggle. Which is a judgement and practice thing, not tool or technique. There are various programmes to guide practice. Eyes shut for example seems to be very effective.
Green reading probably the next most important issue, but pace improvement is needed first to be able to match speed to line.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got one...actually I've got two!!!

Like you I was intrigued by the concept but took about 3 years before I found someone local to me where I could try one.

I struggled with mine at first...especially getting the ball to the hole from distance (25ft plus)...I'd often leave them well short (6-8ft) whereas traditionally I'm spot on for pace with what I would tentatively call my "normal" putter (to be fair I first got it in the autumn where perhaps our greens were "fading" a bit). Possibly part of the reason for this is that the DF 2.1 that I've got feels quite light, the other part of the reason is adjusting my putting stroke...the DF 2.1 definitely suits someone rhythmically stroking at the ball (ohh err) whereas traditionally I'm quite quick on the forward stroke...giving the ball a bit of a rap.

I'd say its taken 6 months to properly get acclimatised to it. Do I think its the best thing since sliced bread??? No. Its fair to say that the jury is still sitting and wont really reach a verdict until I've had a good bit of use out of it on the summer greens. I do seem to hole a few more from around the 5-10ft mark though. Also...I find the "sound" has a little bit of a metallic ring at impact...possibly due to the Aluminium base material of the head...I much prefer a solid muted thud at impact. Will probably experiment with some dampening in the near future and possibly something to increase the heft....maybe some fine sand down the shaft which I've done before with putters.

Why have I got two of them?

Well when I went to try one I probably went with the subliminal intention to buy one no matter what, and I ended up purchasing one that the shop had in stock even though it wasn't the lie angle that I felt was best suited to me. Played with the original one (71 degree lie) for a while and never really came to terms with how it sat with the toe up in the air. Eventually bit the bullet and bought one with a 69 degree lie angle and am much happier with that.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Any one used once of these putters?

Been looking at them for about a year, first the Directed Force then the Mezz but there was nowhere near me (NE) where I could try. I've seen recently that Scottsdale now stock, and I think fit them so tempted to take the plunge. I'm a terrible putter and the tech intrigued me. Looks like they've just released one that looks more 'normal' looking too.

Would appreciate the views of anyone who has used one.
What makes you a terrible putter? Leave it short? Always too far past? Can't read the line?
Some people do find that putting lessons helps, some find that a different style putter helps and some a combination of both. Then there's the rare ones who just can't putt. Then there's the even rarer ones who can putt really well with any putter on any green!

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Weirdly, just purchased the new Link.1 as I thought it was lovely looking, and intrigued by the tech after watching a playing partner use one very effectively over the past few weeks.

Used it for the first time today, and it does take a little adjustment, but definitely feels a bit more point and shoot compared to previous putters. Looking forward to seeing how I get on with it over an extended period of time

TrickyGB

Visit site
I've got one...actually I've got two!!!

Like you I was intrigued by the concept but took about 3 years before I found someone local to me where I could try one.

I struggled with mine at first...especially getting the ball to the hole from distance (25ft plus)...I'd often leave them well short (6-8ft) whereas traditionally I'm spot on for pace with what I would tentatively call my "normal" putter (to be fair I first got it in the autumn where perhaps our greens were "fading" a bit). Possibly part of the reason for this is that the DF 2.1 that I've got feels quite light, the other part of the reason is adjusting my putting stroke...the DF 2.1 definitely suits someone rhythmically stroking at the ball (ohh err) whereas traditionally I'm quite quick on the forward stroke...giving the ball a bit of a rap.

I'd say its taken 6 months to properly get acclimatised to it. Do I think its the best thing since sliced bread??? No. Its fair to say that the jury is still sitting and wont really reach a verdict until I've had a good bit of use out of it on the summer greens. I do seem to hole a few more from around the 5-10ft mark though. Also...I find the "sound" has a little bit of a metallic ring at impact...possibly due to the Aluminium base material of the head...I much prefer a solid muted thud at impact. Will probably experiment with some dampening in the near future and possibly something to increase the heft....maybe some fine sand down the shaft which I've done before with putters.

Why have I got two of them?

Well when I went to try one I probably went with the subliminal intention to buy one no matter what, and I ended up purchasing one that the shop had in stock even though it wasn't the lie angle that I felt was best suited to me. Played with the original one (71 degree lie) for a while and never really came to terms with how it sat with the toe up in the air. Eventually bit the bullet and bought one with a 69 degree lie angle and am much happier with that.

Thanks for the reply, really interesting to hear your opinion

TrickyGB

Visit site
What makes you a terrible putter? Leave it short? Always too far past? Can't read the line?
Some people do find that putting lessons helps, some find that a different style putter helps and some a combination of both. Then there's the rare ones who just can't putt. Then there's the even rarer ones who can putt really well with any putter on any green!

It depends what day :) Pace putting isn't great so often leave myself a lot to do after the first putt. Not always a one way miss, some a long way past, some a long way short. I did think it was only pace but shotscope is telling me I just sent good enough from 10ft and in. In practice I hit my line but seems to push/pull on the course n thought the lab set up may take my hands out a touch.

I know a new putter won't be a magic fix but it may help being fitted for something too. did with my other clubs

TrickyGB

Visit site
Weirdly, just purchased the new Link.1 as I thought it was lovely looking, and intrigued by the tech after watching a playing partner use one very effectively over the past few weeks.

Used it for the first time today, and it does take a little adjustment, but definitely feels a bit more point and shoot compared to previous putters. Looking forward to seeing how I get on with it over an extended period of time

Nice, looks a really nice putter that. Did you get fit? Would be interested to hear how you get on moving forward

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
First step, see a pro and have them determine what's going on. If there's no clear issue, i.e. some too long, some too short, some pulls, some pushes, etc. it could do you good to get a professionals opinion first.
Or, just go treat yourself to a shiny new club. 😉