L.A.B golf putters

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I might be misunderstanding this but if you hit the sweet spot all putters will have zero torque, miss it and all putters will have torque, some more than others.
Exactly, and the torque felt on off centre putts will be so little a small child could counteract it. Marketing guff

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But LAB arent claiming to solve the issue of torque on off center putts are they?
According to the reply to my comment on Insta, their putters "are designed to reduce twisting and promote a consistent stroke.." They state "a remarkable reduction (in torque) compared to conventional models".

But they fail to say how much torque is felt using a conventional putter - probably because it is minimal. After all, the swing speed with a putter s so low and you aren't hitting a fixed object so the reaction will be very small.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
As a committed blade user (or on occasion a small headed mallet) I once borrowed a Spider.

The stability throughout the stroke was far greater than I was expecting, I felt like I couldn't miss.

Modern Spider and LAB type putters certainly do what they claim and are very easy to use, the head is much less likely to move out of square during the stroke in my admittedly limited experience.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
According to the reply to my comment on Insta, their putters "are designed to reduce twisting and promote a consistent stroke.." They state "a remarkable reduction (in torque) compared to conventional models".

But they fail to say how much torque is felt using a conventional putter - probably because it is minimal. After all, the swing speed with a putter s so low and you aren't hitting a fixed object so the reaction will be very small.
But its not twisting due to off center striking that they are talking about.

It is rotational twisting due to imbalances in the head during the stroke that they are claiming to solve/minimise....so their claim is that the LAB putters stay naturally square to the swing-path, whereas other putters have a tendency to want to rotate open/closed at various points during the stroke.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But its not twisting due to off center striking that they are talking about.

It is rotational twisting due to imbalances in the head during the stroke that they are claiming to solve/minimise....so their claim is that the LAB putters stay naturally square to the swing-path, whereas other putters have a tendency to want to rotate open/closed at various points during the stroke.
Not just a 'tendency' - toe-hang putters are actually designed to do that on purpose. Some industry person a long time ago obviously decided that this is desirable. I don't really get it myself, not sure why you would want your putter opening and closing itself. I've switched to face-balanced this year and it's just better. Obviously LAB have decided that toe-hang benefit is a myth as well.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm on my second LAB putter at the moment. I previously won a DF3 in a charity raffle at the start of the year, and although liked it a lot, the head felt a little light for me.

Recently picked up a Mezz Max broom. However, it's at 41.5" which is ideal for me as I can still get more over the ball. More Adam Scott than Bernard Langer in style - although that's where the similarities stop.

I think the prices are punchy, but definitely rolling it better with the broom; not just from comments from regular playing partners but backed up by my own putting stats. Averaging 27-28 putts a round which is massively down on my 32 or so throughout the main part of the season.

Big thing with them is to basically get out of the putter's way. It sort of wants to return to square, and so I think they're at their most effective with light grip pressure and a pretty relaxed overall stroke.