L.A.B golf putters

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things I noticed straight away from the LAB video was that he was comparing their centre shafted putter with heel shafted putters.
I have played CS putters for years and one of the first things I do when trialling one is to check where the face balance is relative to to the face angle by simply holding it with the shaft resting in one finger, and immediately reject it if it hangs open or closed.

The 'most popular putter' he showed certainly behaves differently in the CS version.

PS I did not notice this is a 2yr old thread.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the things I noticed straight away from the LAB video was that he was comparing their centre shafted putter with heel shafted putters.
I have played CS putters for years and one of the first things I do when trialling one is to check where the face balance is relative to to the face angle by simply holding it with the shaft resting in one finger, and immediately reject it if it hangs open or closed.

The 'most popular putter' he showed certainly behaves differently in the CS version.

PS I did not notice this is a 2yr old thread.
That's true, although a face-balanced putter will still return to level with the face pointing straight upwards. Whereas the LAB one will face any direction as it's weight is balanced in all directions. I think anyway.

peld

Visit site
I bumped it rather than start another thread.

Good point - even a normal centre shafted putter stays more square than a heel shafted one, but i suppose thier point is most of us play heel shafted.

Severof

Visit site
Bought a Lynx USA 7 putter in 1990 and is still in the bag. Had some great days with it, including last week's club championships, 27 putts inc holing an 80 footer on 17. Also had bad days with it, but can't blame the putter for that. Changed it once 20 years ago, but that lasted a month and haven't tinkered since.
Guy I played with a few weeks ago had one. Thought it looked awful but he did putt well that day. There was a recent Peter Finch YouTube vid playing in Ireland with an Asian guy. Finch couldn't hole anything with it, not a great advert if he was sponsored to use it.
. I remember watching golf on the box in the 80's- 90's . There was a pro, not sure if Nick Price or Barry Lane ( looked similar ). They said their putter was from a $5 bucket in a golf discount store,and had been using it years.
Unlike woods and irons that increase distance as technology improves , I feel with putters , its never the wand, but always the magician.

peld

Visit site
I feel with putters , its never the wand, but always the magician.
No doubt.
But i do think when you have several tour players now using LAB putters , and are not paid to play them (and im sure turned down offers from other big brands), there is something in it

To be honest its the intrigue. Would love to try one and see if it makes a difference (ideally before i splashed £450)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you are worried about your putter twisting when you putt, how on earth do you manage to hold onto your driver with your limp grip? 🤪🤣

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They’ve become very popular at my old club, especially with the low single figure and plus handicap players.

I tried a mezz.1 and it rolled lovely, I doubt it will be long before a few hit a well known auction site if you wanted to take a gamble

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
No doubt.
But i do think when you have several tour players now using LAB putters , and are not paid to play them (and im sure turned down offers from other big brands), there is something in it

To be honest its the intrigue. Would love to try one and see if it makes a difference (ideally before i splashed £450)
I've got a DF2.1 that I might look to move on when I return home from Scotland.

Putter itself is in excellent condition though there is a hole in the end of the grip (not the normal hole that allows air to escape when the grip is being installed!!!) from when I was experimenting with additional shaft weighting....I could probably find a way of plugging it. Headcover has a few scuffs but as I say....the putter itself is excellent.

If you want, I can do some pics (wont be until mid next week as I don't get home until Sunday). The price will be more than reasonable.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thought id bump this thread two years on. I had a good result in an Open and have a wad of vouchers to use, and a LAB putter is the only thing im interested in at the moment albeit id still need to add a hefty chunk of cash to the vouchers (dont need shows, clothes or anything else). Quite keen on the DF3 but think id need to be fitted.

Have more people bought them?

Obviously we have seen them used a lot more on Tour now, and unsponsored too, so there is something in it.

I have the Mezz 1 and really like it. Feels quite soft and it’s really easy to hit your start line as the face stays so square.

peld

Visit site
I have the Mezz 1 and really like it. Feels quite soft and it’s really easy to hit your start line as the face stays so square.
I coincidentally bumped in to a guy at the weekend on the range, and he had two LABs! He had a Mezz 1 and DF3 broomstick. Seeing them in person I preferred the Mezz 1, not as large as I was expecting. I did notice just from a few swings you could see the stability of the head. He was an ex Pro so obviously pretty handy, and he said despite having a large collection of Scottys couldnt see himself using anything else. He recommended a graphite though - really helped the feel.

I also noticed Vegas won on the PGA Tour with a LINK1 this weekend too!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I coincidentally bumped in to a guy at the weekend on the range, and he had two LABs! He had a Mezz 1 and DF3 broomstick. Seeing them in person I preferred the Mezz 1, not as large as I was expecting. I did notice just from a few swings you could see the stability of the head. He was an ex Pro so obviously pretty handy, and he said despite having a large collection of Scottys couldnt see himself using anything else. He recommended a graphite though - really helped the feel.

I also noticed Vegas won on the PGA Tour with a LINK1 this weekend too!
It's funny, because for years I heard about the virtues of Evnroll putters and their face technology, which apparently works as they say - but I can't recall ever seeing a single tour pro using an Evnroll. Whereas these LAB putters are catching on like wildfire now.

WirralC

Visit site
Can't remember where I heard it, think it was a podcast, maybe The Chipping Forecast, but they said apparently a couple of the mainstream manufacturers are working on similar products so we might see this method more on tour. At the end of the day most play what they're paid to use, part of the reason clubs cost so much.

peld

Visit site
It's funny, because for years I heard about the virtues of Evnroll putters and their face technology, which apparently works as they say - but I can't recall ever seeing a single tour pro using an Evnroll. Whereas these LAB putters are catching on like wildfire now.
slightly ironically ill probably sell my Evnroll ER2 to part fund a LAB ....

peld

Visit site
Can't remember where I heard it, think it was a podcast, maybe The Chipping Forecast, but they said apparently a couple of the mainstream manufacturers are working on similar products so we might see this method more on tour. At the end of the day most play what they're paid to use, part of the reason clubs cost so much.
interestingly id imagine LAB have patents everywhere to stop this, otherwise I think the big brands would have been there a lot faster - you cant tell me Callaway wouldnt have loved to have Phil in an Odyssey balanced putter.
Axis are the only other brand ive seen with the same tech but the odd shaft puts me off them

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Face balance to lie angle balance is an easier transition than toe hang to lie angle balance, I would guess.

I've played non-offset, face balanced putters since the Ram Zebra, not exclusively but usually,
and the LAB putter intuitively looks very playable to me.

I try to hit straight through rather than on an arc, and the L.A.B. putters would make it easier to do that, I think.
They're super expensive, but golf is an obscenely expensive game these days.
I'd have to try hitting one before I could be even tempted to spend that kind of money, and I've had no opportunity to do so.

My present putter, a Tad Moore Chicopee, is a hickory shafted replica of a 1920s Spalding model. It has no tech at all,
but it puts the ball in the hole with about the same frequency as anything else. And looks cool as can be.

The L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max looks very tempting, though.
Looks a bit different than the Chicopee, I will admit,
but not terribly unlike a Scotty Cameron Phantom.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
One of my mates bought a LAB putter last week, cost him £700 with an upgraded shaft. Hopefully it does him better than the £450 fitted Edel putter he bought about 3 years ago.
I think I can solve your mates putting problems....I have a number of spares that I'm sure will work for him at, what I'm sure HE would consider, a reasonable price. :LOL:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I got a post from LAB Golf on my instagram and I asked them how much torque there was on an off centre 10ft putt with a TM spider to see how much better their zero torque putter is. Despite 2 responses, they failed to answer with a figure so how can they state their version is better with nothing to compare to?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I got a post from LAB Golf on my instagram and I asked them how much torque there was on an off centre 10ft putt with a TM spider to see how much better their zero torque putter is. Despite 2 responses, they failed to answer with a figure so how can they state their version is better with nothing to compare to?

I might be misunderstanding this but if you hit the sweet spot all putters will have zero torque, miss it and all putters will have torque, some more than others.