Kuch the cheapskate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Isn't he the centre of a Twitter storm!!!

Won $1.26 million in Mexico last year and only paid his "local" caddy $3,000.

Unwritten rule is 5-10% of winnings is the fee. Pretty disgusting from a man with over $40 million in prize money if true.

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Isn't he the centre of a Twitter storm!!!

Won $1.26 million in Mexico blast year and only paid his "local" caddy $3,000.

Unwritten rule is 5-10% of winnings is the fee. Pretty disgusting from a man with over $40 million in prize money if true.
They pay their regular caddy's a set rate plus 8-10% of winnings. Not sure my opinion of him would change even if he did, though I'm pretty sure he would have slipped the guy a few extra quid more than his regular rate

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Regular caddies spend weeks at a time away from their families as it’s their career and get paid a decent wage for it. The guy he used is a regular club caddy. 3k is likely a lot more than his daily wage. That being said, it’s been denied already.

Wolf

Visit site
Did he pay him 3k or more.. Why not ask the Caddy he doesn't seem to have had anything to say regarding Kuch being a cheapskate from what I can see from reports there is no mention of the Caddy saying this to anyone.

Rumours started by another player yet doesn't state how he knows this to be true. Its already been denied and yes he admits it wasn't 10% but also that it Wasn't 3k. But let's not let facts like asking the Caddy or asking where the rumour comes from get in the way of having a pop at someone.

This guy didn't have to spend weeks or months away from home he went to to work as normal and whatever he earned that week was probably still a damn site more than he normally does for a weeks graft.

Whether Kuch is a well known cheapskate or not i'll Reserve my judgement for when actual facts are released instead of listening to rumours.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Presumably it's also comparing apples and oranges. Regular caddie surely more involved with Kuch in terms of yardages, talking through shots and approach, working/assisting on range where as local caddie would have carried a back, maybe given yardages or some course knowledge but not working as a team in the same way.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Tom Gilles.

Although Justin Rose's caddy also got involved.

It is all hearsay at present but I still think it sucks if true.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Kuch has denied it and said it wasn't $3,000 and it wasn't 10%.

He's not at liberty to reveal what the arrangement was and people shouldn't expect him to.

I'd imagine that for a local caddie, it isn't as much of a big deal as it would be for someone who is going to caddie for you 30 weeks of the year. These guys put in the effort, scouting courses, going through practice rounds, taking part in practice sessions etc. These guys are incentivised to be part of a successful partnership and the 5% to 10% is generally the deal for a win, or maybe a top 5 finish. Generally caddies are paid a retainer for their service and they certainly don't get 10% of a tour pros entire earnings. Craig Connelly gave a good explanation when he was part of the Ryder Cup coverage.

For hiring a local caddie, I'd imagine a Tour Pro might give them a deal of $x,xxx plus a 30% of 50% bonus for a win. Pretty much any local caddie is going to accept a few thousand for a weeks work, regardless of who they are working for and if the deal is, that's the paycheck whether I win or lose, then you just get on with it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd imagine it's more of a big deal as it's not regular income.

That sort if money in Mexico would potentially have been life changing.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd imagine it's more of a big deal as it's not regular income.

That sort if money in Mexico would potentially have been life changing.

Like I said, you make someone an offer and they agree to it or they don't.
I'm sure it was still the guy's highest earning week of his life, even if it was only $3,000.

Westwood didn't give Helen Storey 10% when he won in SA last year and very little was made of that.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Like I said, you make someone an offer and they agree to it or they don't.
I'm sure it was still the guy's highest earning week of his life, even if it was only $3,000.

Westwood didn't give Helen Storey 10% when he won in SA last year and very little was made of that.

$40/50 million in the bank and you win another $1.26 or whatever and think $3k is acceptable simply because you agreed it???

If you are in the position to help someone and make a HUGE difference to their quality of life yet choose not to it does not show you in a great light!

Also how do you know what Westwood paid?

Wolf

Visit site
$40/50 million in the bank and you win another $1.26 or whatever and think $3k is acceptable simply because you agreed it???

If you are in the position to help someone and make a HUGE difference to their quality of life yet choose not to it does not show you in a great light!

Yes it is acceptable if that's what was agreed what has Kuchar bank balance got to do with it being unreasonable if they agreed a price for services and it was accepted its perfectly reasonable would you pay more than the agreed price for work at home just because you may have a better bank balance than the worker I very much doubt it.

As for. Your Westwood comment, how do you know what Kuchar paid, you don't. You only know what the rumour is.

As for ina position to change someone life just because of his bank balance again why should he change someone skife just because they're worse off than he is. Nobody is entitled to anything they agreed a contract and contract was paid. Neither party than can confirm what that was has done so yet here we are trying to shoot a man down based on a rumour.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think you are missing the point Mr Wolf Sir.

It's commonly accepted on Tour that the caddy get circa 10% of the pay cheque. To break that simply because you chose a "cheap" option and not to further reward them for their efforts is poor crack, that seems to be the sticking point.

I'm sure the local guy more than assisted Mr false grin on numerous occasions during that tournament.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

It's commonly accepted on Tour that the caddy get circa 10% of the pay cheque. To break that simply because you chose a "cheap" option and not to further reward them for their efforts is poor crack, that seems to be the sticking point.

I'm sure the local guy more than assisted Mr false grin on numerous occasions during that tournament.

Most Professional caddies get 10%. It’s a full time job with financial implications.
This guy was a club caddie. If a visitor was there he wouldn’t have got 3k let alone more.

Numerous qualifiers who make it to opens and don’t have regular caddies take the local ones on. The senior tour advertise the job during the senior open. And people I’ve known do it don’t get anywhere near 10%. Kuch May be a tightwad in other areas. But I’m sure he could have picked anyone of numerous caddies in the day. This guy simply got lucky.

Wolf

Visit site

No I'm really not missing the point at all, I understand all to well how much a regular tour Caddy gets. Doesn't mean I have to agree with everyone that Kuchar is a cheapskate because of the deal he did in private with the Caddy.

Again the Caddy hasn't come out slating Kuch about it only others because of rumours. They did a deal it was agreed on and he was paid and none of us know how much its all assumptions.

What's commonly accepted on tour is they're away from home for weeks on end, get to know players games inside out and are at the players beck and call whilst away from families so they're rewarded accordingly. Word it how you want tell me I'm missing the point because I assure you I'm not I simply don't judge someone based on rumour, the opinions of others eager to jump on rumours or think just because he is a rather well off man has to feel the need to improve someone else quality of life. Pluss like just mentioned above he got lucky to get the bag and until anyone knows better it's all just rumours to get at someone one in the limelight.

I'll stick to my original point I won't judge someone on rumours or what isn't proved. Deal agreed player paid Caddy, Caddy hasn't complained the only story here is people trying to force an issue that doesn't exist to the player or Caddy involved

D

Deleted member 17920

Think it would have been a better story if how he overpaid the caddy for doing a great job rather than the the rumour that has been released.

Thought it was a standard offer on tour that the caddy gets 10% if the player wins.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

He didn't pay 10%, he said in the post round interviews. He said he would with a professional caddie, but this week 'No'.
He obviously didn't say what the amount was, or if they even had any deal. Probably Helen just did to come along for the ride and be a loyal partner.

Well I don't see it as an issue. They've agreed whatever they agreed and the caddie got paid for his work. And he's categorically denied it was $3,000, so the whole thing is a non-story and the caddie probably still had the best week of his life, by a zero or two.

If you did a consultancy piece for a company, that was a weeks work, for which they offered you £5,000. Dozens of guys were in line for the work as it was a quick hit and you were fortunate to land the gig. You would be in no position to demand another £100,000 just because your work was a small factor in them making £1 million profit and they could easily afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.