Knock in the highlands: BOG or GOS?

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Off to Scotland for a 2 week holiday this summer from 15th June with the Mrs and our 3yr old daughter. Driving up and staying in some holiday lets. 1st week is in St Andrews, so I'll be getting up early doors and joining the queue for the Old Course. No problems with that, can't wait!

I might try to get another round there but I'm not too bothered as it's family holiday. The bigger question is for the 2nd week. After St Andrews we move up to Grantown On Spey (via Balmoral, always wanted to see it) and I'm hoping to get another round in that week. Question to people up there is Grantown On Spey or Boat Of Garten? I've heard BOG is the better of the two. They should both be about £40 for an early doors knock, but with Boat Of Garten, if I'm off there for an early doors knock, the wifey and my daughter will be stuck in Grantown (as I'll have the car). Whereas if I'm playing at Grantown, I can easily walk there, she can have the car etc....

Is Boat Of Garten worth the extra hassle I'd get? Is it that much better a course than Grantown?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Off to Scotland for a 2 week holiday this summer from 15th June with the Mrs and our 3yr old daughter. Driving up and staying in some holiday lets. 1st week is in St Andrews, so I'll be getting up early doors and joining the queue for the Old Course. No problems with that, can't wait!

I might try to get another round there but I'm not too bothered as it's family holiday. The bigger question is for the 2nd week. After St Andrews we move up to Grantown On Spey (via Balmoral, always wanted to see it) and I'm hoping to get another round in that week. Question to people up there is Grantown On Spey or Boat Of Garten? I've heard BOG is the better of the two. They should both be about £40 for an early doors knock, but with Boat Of Garten, if I'm off there for an early doors knock, the wifey and my daughter will be stuck in Grantown (as I'll have the car). Whereas if I'm playing at Grantown, I can easily walk there, she can have the car etc....

Is Boat Of Garten worth the extra hassle I'd get? Is it that much better a course than Grantown?
IMO Boat is a better course. Grantown is OK, with the original 9 the standout, the other 9 you could almost be and any other parkland course anywhere IMO.

Boat Every day for me. its about a 10 min drive door to door to boat from Grantown. would have thought best to get dropped off and collected 2 and half hours later;)

i doubt it will be cheaper for an early doors know as most of the members (its quite a big retirement area) will be out early so they might not let a visitor on. They may do a twilight cheaper, that time of year it will be light till 10/ 10,30.

Last edited:

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
IMO Boat is a better course. Grantown is OK, with the original 9 the standout, the other 9 you could almost be and any other parkland course anywhere IMO.

Boat Every day for me. its about a 10 min drive door to door to boat from Grantown. would have thought best to get dropped off and collected 2 and half hours later;)

i doubt it will be cheaper for an early doors know as most of the members (its quite a big retirement area) will be out early so they might not let a visitor on. They may do a twilight cheaper, that time of year it will be light till 10/ 10,30.

Website has it as £40 early bird (before 8.30) - I'll happily tee off as early as possible to get my golfing fix. I'd prefer BOG, just needed a little push in that direction. ;-)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Website has it as £40 early bird (before 8.30) - I'll happily tee off as early as possible to get my golfing fix. I'd prefer BOG, just needed a little push in that direction. ;-)

sorted then, i really like boat wish i could join, ask Smiffy about it, he will say its sheer hite, mainly because he was whoopped;)

.... tip for you 8 iron off the tee on the 15th, or the club you hit 150;)