kitchen taps gland replacement - plumbing question

U

User62651

Had a leaky/squeaky mixer tap in kitchen. Yesterday changed the 2 old glands for new ones and that all went fine. Put taps lever heads back on, seemed to fit ok and secured with the wee holding screw.
Taps turn on fine, however when I turn the taps off the lever keeps turning once water's off, slips a little. New glands are a little stiff so a wee bit of force is needed. The slippage means the levers end up in odd positions pointing up instead of horizontal. They should only travel 90 degrees max from on to off, quarter turns. I'm guessing the number of teeth on the new gland spline doesn't match the number of teeth on the tap head or the diameter of the spline is a teeny bit narrower than it should be for the tap levers. Thought these were a standard 20 teeth. Either way rather than changing glands again or finding different tap levers/heads is there a way to stop the lever heads turning past where they should? Will count the number of teeth later to check if lever and gland match but was thinking a little 'jamming' with a small piece of tin foil or something to stop the tap levers slipping under closing off water flow force. Cheap enough to get new levers and glands together as a set but any tips out there to save me doing that so keep the original levers?

U

User62651

Tssk, never find a plumber when you need one.

Update - found a spare pair of taps up in the attic on a disconnected sink, took heads off and they fit perfectly. They're round rather than levers but do the job fine.

Here endeth my trivial DIY problems.:thup: