king of the slicers with driver... helpppppppppp (please)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a natural slice, not sure if its because I am left handed and play right or whatever, I have cured it to an extent and now have a decent natural swing that goes fairly straight with irons, hybrids and 3+5 wood (occasional wayward one but thats expected as I am still learning and its early days)

when I hit driver it slices like a banana 50+ yards right (sometimes as far right as it goes forwards!!!)

I have 3 drivers to choose from 12deg MD toursteel, 12 deg cobra hs9 and 10.5 nike sq sumo all reg flex (and all give same results boohoo)

I have tried adjusting grip, slower swing, closing the face slightly but it still slices. tried forward and back in stance but to no avail

I am going to book a lesson but wont be for a couple of weeks due to work (its a 20 min drive and want it during daylight as evening lessons mean cant see past 150yds on range)

any tips on what to try? I am nipping down the range tomorrow after work so more than willing to try a few things out

thanks in advance oh wise ones

G1BB0

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I cured my slice by having the ball closer to the heel of the driver. try just a few mm at a time and see how it goes.

This combined with having the ball a few mm more central in your stance could well cure it

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Put your left foot forward a couple of inches, your body wont have the same amount of room come across out to in thus hitting it straight, and miles.

(NB, the straight and miles bit may be an exaggeration, but this quick fix will straighten you, you will need to go to a pro to fix it properly though)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
This is causing your slice.

cure12.jpg

What I suggest you do is try the sponge drill

sponge2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
cheers Brendy, deffo getting a few lessons, shot a 90 at the weekend (par 62 tho) but nigh on every tee shot was right or duffed and didnt even try driver as scared of slicing. my approach shots and short game were pretty bloody good.

once I cure this tee shot mullarkey and not scared of using the slicer, I mean driver, I may be halfway there to being adequate at golf :) (I realise its a game that is never perfected and always bites us on the ass when we think we have cracked it)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
will try that tomorrow Bob, the more I think the more it makes sense as to why. why are the answers so simple yet so hard to realise or implicate/replicate :)

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
What I suggest you do is try the sponge drill

sponge2.jpg

I had a go at this yesterday and both headcovers went flying down the range!! :eek: :eek:

This was just before I broke my V-Easy so the signs were trying to tell me something.. :D :D

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I found my slice with a driver was caused by turning my wrists to late on the downswing, causing my clubface to be open through to impact, with an earlier turn it gives me a nice shape

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a natural slice, not sure if its because I am left handed and play right or whatever, I have cured it to an extent and now have a decent natural swing that goes fairly straight with irons, hybrids and 3+5 wood (occasional wayward one but thats expected as I am still learning and its early days)

when I hit driver it slices like a banana 50+ yards right (sometimes as far right as it goes forwards!!!)

I have 3 drivers to choose from 12deg MD toursteel, 12 deg cobra hs9 and 10.5 nike sq sumo all reg flex (and all give same results boohoo)

I have tried adjusting grip, slower swing, closing the face slightly but it still slices. tried forward and back in stance but to no avail

I am going to book a lesson but wont be for a couple of weeks due to work (its a 20 min drive and want it during daylight as evening lessons mean cant see past 150yds on range)

any tips on what to try? I am nipping down the range tomorrow after work so more than willing to try a few things out

thanks in advance oh wise ones

G1BB0

ive got this boys, top tip as told to me. 'stand further away from the ball'. or for short term gain grip down the shaft. both work :cool: and ditch at least one of them drivers ;)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will indeed ditch 2 of them, only actually bought the cobra, the other 2 were part of a package deal I picked up for a snip so in essence cost sod all :)

back to the driving, I have a little list of things to try so will be trying out tomorrow (not today as work has done me in)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
ball position, club head position, stance and grip are the main 3 Bob

I was trying to compensate by closing the face at address, this seems to actually have the opposite effect. also aiming way left but again this can be a cause as I am moving my body /shoulders left to compensate

mostly I am going to try and relax and not belt the life out of the ball. head position, chest postion etc as I have a tendency to lift too soon

its all part of the learning purpose so not expecting instant fix. wont be the end of the world if nothing works, lessons will ensue either way as I am determined to be the best my lack of ability lets me be ;)

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was going to try this until i read your post....how did u get them back :D

When the 2 guys either side of me had stopped laughing, I simply walked out and retrieved them. They'd only gone about 5 yards.....

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was going to try this until i read your post....how did u get them back :D

When the 2 guys either side of me had stopped laughing, I simply walked out and retrieved them. They'd only gone about 5 yards.....

Think id have walked away and left them....just seen the drill on youtube with two golf balls..... think ill try that version

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What type of slice do you have?

Does it start of left and then slice alot to the right.

Start straight then slice right

Just go straight left.

I'm far from an expert at all but the type of slice you hit can help solve what you could be doing wrong.