Keith Pelley's 6 Hole Event - A good or stupid idea?

Wilts

Club Champion
Visit site
I recently heard on the radio that if we were to lay out the rules for golf today we would not go for 18 holes, probably 12 or 14.

Something similar would be said of cricket, how can you play a game that takes most of the week!

Interesting to think about if we invented golf today what would it look like? As well as ditching the last 4-5 holes I also think caddies would be removed.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Depresses me how most sports have had to, or are having to, change the way that they're played in order to suit the TV audience/companies.

Formats were originally devised to satisfy the participants not the spectators/TV moguls.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
If they played on a shorter course - drivable par 4's, reachable par 5's and ace friendly pin positions on par 3's. If they introduce the Shotgun start idea someone else suggested perhaps two waves of golfers in 3 balls so 36 golfers total. If they attracted some of the big names and played it more as an exhibition. If they had a Ryder Cup esque atmosphere. If they had a shot clock so they finished 6 holes in an hour. I would be tempted to go and watch it live. I'd definitely want to watch it on TV. More importantly so would my 7 year old son who finds current golf a bit dull to watch. And you know what after watching it for a couple of hours he'd want me to take him to the course to play nine holes.

Those complaining are the types of people who don't like T20 cricket. I know several people who hate Test matches but are really passionate T20 supporters and will happily go and watch games.

Great idea 👍

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depresses me how most sports have had to, or are having to, change the way that they're played in order to suit the TV audience/companies.

Formats were originally devised to satisfy the participants not the spectators/TV moguls.

Yes but those participants were very different to today's participants, and don't forget that in the 19th century there were a lot of very long "challenge" matches between the top pros which were little more than vehicles for betting by the monied/landed classes. Not to mention that in those matches a foursome of Old and Young Tom Morris vs Willie Park snr and jnr would be round 18 holes in about 2 hours!

I also understand it was pretty much arbitrary that golf adopted the St Andrew's model of 18 holes rather than Prestwick's 12.

I quite like the idea, 6 holes, shot gun start, 7 clubs max. Would be fun as a novelty event once a year, especially on a links, maybe as part of an event like the Links Challenge, then see if it has legs.

Agree though that 72 holes is the gold standard and I'm not a 20/20 cricket fan, although I love test matches.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it could work, a Tuesdays evening before an event (especially in places like Dubai where they have floodlit courses). Do it all for charity, and i'd imagine it would be great fun.

Most of today's younger pros seem game for a laugh, and done the right way i think they'd but into it.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
You've only got to look at how poorly attended some of the European Tour events are to see that something needs to be tried. Whether or not it works out, the Tour should be applauded for looking to be innovative.

Personally, I'd look to run 1 weekend as an innovation weekend. One 6 hole shootout, one par 3 comp and and a 2 ball better ball - played with a country format. See how it goes and tailor it each year to find a formula. It could be played the week after the Open - in the first couple of years you aren't going to attract the top, top, players anyway - if it works out and sponsors come in then it could be given a better slot and the top 20 players will come.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
They could of done something like this rather than that Golf Juice Rubbish.
A bit of a pro - celebrity comp' each week.
Take it 'on the road' decent courses, I'm sure you'd get a decent amount of spectators.
4 ~ Ex pros in a league table with different celebs each week who actually play the game. No Choppers allowed!

D

Deleted member 15344

The issue I have is there is no time in the calender - a lot of the pros use the Monday - Wed as practise before the comp - force things like this on them and more up sticks and go to the US , that's why a lot of the events have cancelled the Pro Am's.

I love things like T20 but they can be played because there is space for them to be played

I do think this idea will ever work IMO

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The issue I have is there is no time in the calender - a lot of the pros use the Monday - Wed as practise before the comp - force things like this on them and more up sticks and go to the US , that's why a lot of the events have cancelled the Pro Am's.

I love things like T20 but they can be played because there is space for them to be played

I do think this idea will ever work IMO

Just from a scheduling point of view or other reasons? (I'm assuming they would have a plan to sort it out in the calendar)

D

Deleted member 15344

Just from a scheduling point of view or other reasons? (I'm assuming they would have a plan to sort it out in the calendar)

Mainly from scheduling and also not sure what impact it would really have - can't see the Pros bothering with it ( well the main guys )

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
LP - The main boys will bother with it if it takes hold and their sponsors ask them to. Many test cricketers did not take T20 seriously at first. Now they retire from test cricket and play as T20 players for hire for their last few years. I can see brands such as Puma / Cobra really loving this and encouraging their staff players to get involved as it will appeal to the younger market.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
LP - The main boys will bother with it if it takes hold and their sponsors ask them to. Many test cricketers did not take T20 seriously at first. Now they retire from test cricket and play as T20 players for hire for their last few years. I can see brands such as Puma / Cobra really loving this and encouraging their staff players to get involved as it will appeal to the younger market.

Spot on.

The callaway boys were hitting out of the Ibrox stands a couple of weeks ago. They do what they are told to do if they want their seat on the gravy train

Might work, might not. Can't knock giving something different a go though.

D

Deleted member 15344

As one offs yes but do we really think the likes of Callaway will tell Phil M to do it ? Same with Nike and Rory - the brands may love it but they IMO wouldn't be able to force players to give up regular practise or weeks off to play this sort of stuff - the guys will just go to the US and the brands would prefer that as its bigger exposure

And you know why players play T20 more / because they earn more money and are able to play a little bit longer in their career

Last edited by a moderator:

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jack Nicklaus has been banging this drum for quite a while in order to get more existing, new and junior golfers into the sport, especially those who are time poor. I think it is commendable for the European Tour to push this agenda, especially with such a high profile advocate.

The drive is to eventually have courses structured to be able to offer a simple 6 hole loop - with the ultimate aim for new courses to consider three loops of 6 holes to encourage this form of the game.

Personally, as one of the time poor long-time golfers, I would love the option of 6 holes, 12 or 18 when i have the time and depending on family commitments. To me, this is the hook to get participation numbers to rise.

I think this is a positive move and one that should not be seen as a gimmick, but as a way of illustrating that golf doesn't have to take all day and be dominated by old duffers scrutinising whether your shirt is tucked in or not.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
As one offs yes but do we really think the likes of Callaway will tell Phil M to do it ? Same with Nike and Rory - the brands may love it but they IMO wouldn't be able to force players to give up regular practise or weeks off to play this sort of stuff - the guys will just go to the US and the brands would prefer that as its bigger exposure

And you know why players play T20 more / because they earn more money and are able to play a little bit longer in their career

But T20 was seen as a complete joke at the start. The New Zealand team played Aus wearing 70s style wigs! I don't think any of them see it as a joke now!

Times change and golf needs to find a way to change with it. Some of the tournaments have nobody coming through the gate - worth a try in one of them surely? The top players won't be there the first couple of years - but if they find something that works (like T20) then the sponsors and players will come running very, very quickly.

Have players representing their country or something to go along with it. It's just one week a year where a 72 hole strokeplay doesnt have to be the answer.

The players are moving the the US anyway, and the sponsors follow. The ET has to try something to attract new ones.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
7 club idea is a non starter. That's every second club missing.

That will not affect a pro in the slightest.

"Hold onto your hats folks, rory has his 8 iron out instead of his 9".

D

Deleted member 15344

But T20 was seen as a complete joke at the start. The New Zealand team played Aus wearing 70s style wigs! I don't think any of them see it as a joke now!

Times change and golf needs to find a way to change with it. Some of the tournaments have nobody coming through the gate - worth a try in one of them surely? The top players won't be there the first couple of years - but if they find something that works (like T20) then the sponsors and players will come running very, very quickly.

Have players representing their country or something to go along with it. It's just one week a year where a 72 hole strokeplay doesnt have to be the answer.

The players are moving the the US anyway, and the sponsors follow. The ET has to try something to attract new ones.

Who thought T20 was a complete joke ? The first Twenty 20 league etc was in this country and it was a roaring success in its first year and the finals days was a great day out - they filled a gap - evenings under floodlights and was just a progression from ODI which was already fully established

Snooker keep trying the one frame shoot out as something exciting and quicker - it hasn't grabbed the attention. Golf has things like par 3 comps and skills comps and long drive comps as alternatives - not really grabbing the attention.

I agree that the ET should be applauded for trying something new but they should look at see what currently gets people excited -The RC - get 4BBB league going to be played at night for example over 9 holes but don't have time limits