Keith Pelley's 6 Hole Event - A good or stupid idea?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Who thought T20 was a complete joke ? The first Twenty 20 league etc was in this country and it was a roaring success in its first year and the finals days was a great day out - they filled a gap - evenings under floodlights and was just a progression from ODI which was already fully established

Snooker keep trying the one frame shoot out as something exciting and quicker - it hasn't grabbed the attention. Golf has things like par 3 comps and skills comps and long drive comps as alternatives - not really grabbing the attention.

I agree that the ET should be applauded for trying something new but they should look at see what currently gets people excited -The RC - get 4BBB league going to be played at night for example over 9 holes but don't have time limits

The top players thought it was a joke. They only became interested when the money of the IPL came along. The first ever T20i was played with retro kits and one team in fake moustaches and wigs!!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/288833.html

But it was then embraced when the players saw the $$$ - who is to say something similar wouldn't happen to golf? Are you saying that just because attempts to innovate haven't yet caught attention then nothing ever will? If sport stopped trying to innovate, we wouldn't have T20, Rugby 7s etc

As I said, you're not going to get Rory or Day playing, but you might get the likes of Beef, Sullivan, Pieters, Colsaerts, Fitz, Wiesberger etc etc and then who knows what it may grow into. Or yes, a 4BBB night league is another great example.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Whilst I think it's good to have these ideas and possibly even try this one, I just feel that Golf can't copy Cricket on this.
Test Cricket is slow game, to watch and play.
20:20 is fast - bang, bang, boom.....how can golf ever be like that..?
Golf's a slow game, to watch and play, like Test Cricket but it's also played over a much larger area, even with only 6 holes.
You couldn't have a stadium effect - at 20:20 everyone can see all the action. It would have to be a pretty big stadium to house 6 holes so the spectators won't see everything.
And hardly any shots will be seen live on tv..just like now with the big events....
So there will be little comparison to 20:20 - just a 1\3rd of a round which will take an hour and a half...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Whilst I think it's good to have these ideas and possibly even try this one, I just feel that Golf can't copy Cricket on this.
Golf's a slow game, to watch and play, like Test Cricket but it's also played over a much larger area, even with only 6 holes.
You couldn't have a stadium effect - at 20:20 everyone can see all the action. It would have to be a pretty big stadium to house 6 holes so the spectators won't see everything.
And hardly any shots will be seen live on tv..just like now with the big events....
So there will be little comparison to 20:20 - just a 1\3rd of a round which will take an hour and a half...

Totally agree. It's nothing like T20. However it deserves to be tried at least once but like Powerplay from a few years back and other since, it will come in a fanfare and disappear as quickly

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

Yes but there was a time people would have said the same about cricket - how can it ever be boom and brash? Just look at it now.

You could have bonus scoring to attract more aggressive play - 1 shot for longest drive, 1 for NP and a modified stableford scoring system to reward birdies and eagles without penalising bogeys too harshly. You could have a stadium effect on the par 3 similar to the one they have currently at the Waste Management.

Golf certainly shouldn't 'copy' cricket, but it can learn an awful lot from it. One of the manor problems with golf, golfers and golf clubs is the instant rejection of anything new, this thread highlights that unfortunately.

These are all just ideas, and I'm sure smarter people have far better ones, but is there much to lose in giving it a try instead of the Russian Open or one of the 3 in South Africa (for example) with nobody watching and next to no viewing figures?!

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I really do not think Golf needs all these gimmicks to attract and retain more golfers.The Gimmicks in my view are a bad idea, 18 inch cups, speed golf, footgolf, 6 hole tournaments and others.Golf does not need these gimmicks, it simply needs to market itself to golfers and potential golfers betterI speak to many golf pros and people in the golf business weekly and I can tell you from my conversations with these guys there is a strong consensus that all of these deviations from the challenge that is golf 18 holes (TOUGH) HURTS the game.People become golfers for life not because it is easy but because to become a golfer it is TOUGH and once you are able to go round in under 100 you are a golfer for life! The Gimmicks attract people who will not stick, if golf is easy, there is no satisfaction in the game, most people are hooked when they first connect with a long iron or driver and hit a proper shot.I think the 6 hole idea is shocking and he should work out better ways to reach golfers, ex golfer and potential golfers with an attractive incentive to try the best game in the world.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really think this is not about the pro game and changing things to reflect 20:20, but to try and get people into the game in a bitesize format - which is all good surely?