Keep your cool

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I don't like the heat, and neither does our dog. We've got a fan in the living room. First time he saw it, he barked and growled at it but now is sitting happily with the cool air washing over him. I avoid walking him midday and make sure his water is kept cool.
For me, working from home means T-Shirt and shorts. If I'm out, it's wearing a Fedora and Factor 50 (not just that, of course, other light clothes as well).

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hate the heat and when we refurbed the house I had the option of aircon very cheap through a trade contact and I knocked it back as misses socks was morning it was overkill.

She will not be getting any input on the next house

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't like the heat, and neither does our dog. We've got a fan in the living room. First time he saw it, he barked and growled at it but now is sitting happily with the cool air washing over him. I avoid walking him midday and make sure his water is kept cool.
For me, working from home means T-Shirt and shorts. If I'm out, it's wearing a Fedora and Factor 50 (not just that, of course, other light clothes as well).

You can put a bowl of ice cubes in front of the fan to further cool the air - and the furry pal!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to be a crane driver ( no air con) .
On really hot days the cab got very hot because it was just a greenhouse in the sky.
I always had one foot in a bucket of water( needed the other for the brakes) and wet sweat bands on wrists.
It works.
Nurse told me your blood is closest to your skin at your wrist and ankles
I don’t like this heat and have been sitting in my bath room it has no windows and the coolest room in the house.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hate the heat and when we refurbed the house I had the option of aircon very cheap through a trade contact and I knocked it back as misses socks was morning it was overkill.

She will not be getting any input on the next house
Seen on the news yesterday new houses/ Apartments are to hot because of insulation and to much glass
So need air con to cool them down.
So not so good for global warming.!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seen on the news yesterday new houses/ Apartments are to hot because of insulation and to much glass

But am the counter to that is they stay warmer in the winter. My brother in law lives in a pretty new built terrace (less than 5 years old) during the winter he rarely has his heating on other than for hot water, this time of year downstairs is cool but upstairs is roasting which I would guess is trapped warm air.

I’d rather stick two windows in the loft for the summer so that hot air can escape than have to have my heating on full blast through the winter.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw that report. It's a strange old situation. In a week or two the push will be once again to insulate, insulate, insulate. Today though, it is the opposite. I'm not sure builders can win this battle without massively increasing costs.

For the person in the report, living in a very nice, city centre apartment / flat that they wont want to move from, surely the answer is to buy a standalone air con unit for the few days / weeks of the year when it gets uncomfortable. Move it from the living room to your bedroom when required. As you say though, not great for the environment but then no worse than heating in the cold weather.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But am the counter to that is they stay warmer in the winter. My brother in law lives in a pretty new built terrace (less than 5 years old) during the winter he rarely has his heating on other than for hot water, this time of year downstairs is cool but upstairs is roasting which I would guess is trapped warm air.

I’d rather stick two windows in the loft for the summer so that hot air can escape than have to have my heating on full blast through the winter.
Counter back with “ it’s going to be the norm more hot weather”
Not disputing the science but you would think housing regs / builders would have taken this into consideration.
But if you live in an apartment you can’t put Velux windows in your neighbour’s floor. ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

My SiL lives in a fairly new townhouse and it is the same. Barely needs any heating in winter, it is crazy insulated and warm. The next day or two will be tough for her, and your BiL, but then perhaps set up a bed on the ground floor for a couple of days until this subsides?

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to be a crane driver ( no air con) .
On really hot days the cab got very hot because it was just a greenhouse in the sky.
I always had one foot in a bucket of water( needed the other for the brakes) and wet sweat bands on wrists.
It works.
Nurse told me your blood is closest to your skin at your wrist and ankles
I don’t like this heat and have been sitting in my bath room it has no windows and the coolest room in the house.
An old PE teacher used to get us to run our wrists under the cold water tap for a few minutes. Not sure if it's just a placebo type thing now, but seems to do the trick. I always thought was something to do with your pulse and circulation, but makes more sense what your saying.

Kept our blinds down, and seems to have done the trick.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Been a bit cooler today whilst I spent 3 hours cutting one of the greens at the bowling club. And will be bowling in similar temps for 2+ hours tomorrow. Be careful out there. 3 days ago 43 people had died in Spain from heatstroke. The following 24 hours saw that number rise to 237. We’re seeing temp pushing 48* around Sevilla.

1658148083964.jpeg

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I saw that report. It's a strange old situation. In a week or two the push will be once again to insulate, insulate, insulate. Today though, it is the opposite. I'm not sure builders can win this battle without massively increasing costs.

For the person in the report, living in a very nice, city centre apartment / flat that they wont want to move from, surely the answer is to buy a standalone air con unit for the few days / weeks of the year when it gets uncomfortable. Move it from the living room to your bedroom when required. As you say though, not great for the environment but then no worse than heating in the cold weather.

Insulation works both ways.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If heat gets in through large windows/glass, direct sunlight etc then the insulation traps it, doesn't it?

It does if you let it in. Looking round my street today most people have their windows wide open and their curtains open. They are just letting the heat in.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
An old PE teacher used to get us to run our wrists under the cold water tap for a few minutes. Not sure if it's just a placebo type thing now, but seems to do the trick. I always thought was something to do with your pulse and circulation, but makes more sense what your saying.

Kept our blinds down, and seems to have done the trick.
He knew a thing or two then.
At your wrists and ankles or anywhere you can feel a pulse it’s because your blood is near your skin .
So it’s easier to cool it down.
It’s much harder on your body because of your muscle mass.
Best thing I ever bought for golf was a ( super soaker cowboy hat) made of a soft leather you soak it in water before you wear it.
There are lots of blood vessels in your scalp and this keeps your head cool.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If heat gets in through large windows/glass, direct sunlight etc then the insulation traps it, doesn't it?
I think the problem in the tv report was the large patio windows.
But there was no other doors or windows other than the entrance door into a corridor.
She could not leave that open.
Less of a problem in a house with a back door and your own roof.