Keep your cool

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Funny me and misses socks was talking roads yesterday. I would guess that the use of road salt during cold months (anything below 5* where we are) would eat into various parts of the tarmac making it weaker during hot months? Hoter continental climates do not have to deal with the cold weather gritting.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Funny me and misses socks was talking roads yesterday. I would guess that the use of road salt during cold months (anything below 5* where we are) would eat into various parts of the tarmac making it weaker during hot months? Hoter continental climates do not have to deal with the cold weather gritting.

I bet you're both fun at a party:LOL:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I am no expert but an engineer once told me in work.
it’s more the composition of the steel in rail tracks.
Like the steel used for cooking pots and pans for example.
In very hot climates they use steel that dosnt enlarge so much in hot weather.
The steel used in the UK is less tolerant and will enlarge with the heat.
Because it also has to deal with very cold weather as well.
If each piece of track moves only a couple of mm it can buckle and the train wheels don’t fit it anymore.
We had cranes that ran on tracks like trains EOTs and had this problem in extreme heat.

As for roads I can only guess it’s a similar thing in the composition of the tarmac.
One thing I noticed in Florida is a lot of roads are still concrete don’t know if that’s heat related though.
Listened to a tarmac expert on the radio a few years back and he was saying he could make you a tarmac that would never wear out - but you'd be buying new tyres every 6 months - or a tarmac that wouldn't wear your tyres at all but would only last 6 months before it needed replacing
I guess there's a similar range when it comes to heat. A tarmac that can withstand sub zero temperatures may not handle temps above 40 and a tarmac that handles 40+ may not tolerate the sub zero temperatures
You get the tarmac that can cope with your normal climate ..anything extreme causes issues.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Missed a lot of the heat news yesterday as, embarrassingly, I was out playing 36 holes of golf. 74 of us, booked a year in advance. Horrible timing. We got through the golf, and everyone escaped without incident by being sensible with water etc.

Got home at 1130pm, and the house was like a sauna and still 30degrees. Not a pleasant nights sleep at all. Still seems to be roasting outside now, although obviously not as hot. Just unbearable at times.