Keep your cool

D-S

Visit site
It's a serious consideration.?
I don't do heat..never have, even as a kid, once it gets to 25+ I struggle....
If these hotter summers are going to become more common, especially down here, then a move up north isn't out of the question
By the look of the heat warning map its the Middle of England from just south of London northwards to a line from Burnley to York which will bear the brunt of this particular heatwave, the South coast, South west, Wales and the East coast will avoid it . So you'll have to look further north than that.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So continue opening the doors and windows then? (y)
I think you need to move your office for a few days.;)
The roof is the main problem.
The difference in our lounge and conservatory is like getting of the plane on your hols the heat hits you in the face.
Usually when it’s this hot there is no breeze.
Movement of air cools it down ,that’s how fans work but if the temp outside is warmer you are just heating the house up with open windows.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
How much are they to use with the current energy prices?

Truthfully I don't know and (kind of, almost) don't care! Fortunate enough to never be cold or hot in my own home - despite being in a rural area so always at the mercy of the heating oil companies.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seen on the news yesterday new houses/ Apartments are to hot because of insulation and to much glass
So need air con to cool them down.
So not so good for global warming.!

Newbuilds are brilliant for insulation, they can use heat pumps effectively .. also if they had air con that's a HVAC so a heat pump aswell in winter they could heat their house effectively with it and cool in summer

Once its to temp the heat remains the constant

Our loft once heated or cooled remains pretty consistent

Lower energy bills etc , the new units use a different gas that's friendlier to the environment and they have inverters which means they use less energy aswell

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Newbuilds are brilliant for insulation, they can use heat pumps effectively .. also if they had air con that's a HVAC so a heat pump aswell in winter they could heat their house effectively with it and cool in summer

Once its to temp the heat remains the constant

Our loft once heated or cooled remains pretty consistent

Lower energy bills etc , the new units use a different gas that's friendlier to the environment and they have inverters which means they use less energy aswell
Don’t think the architect of the flats on TV news report got that memo.
These new flats do seem to have a lot of faults that should have been foreseen.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don’t think the architect of the flats on TV news report got that memo.
These new flats do seem to have a lot of faults that should have been foreseen.

I'd love to insulate my house to the standards required, unfortunately I have solid walls and would need that insulation that bolts onto the outside of the house and then you render over ..

It really would lower heating bills in winter and in summer once the temp is set would keep heat out

Expensive tho think £10k plus

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd love to insulate my house to the standards required, unfortunately I have solid walls and would need that insulation that bolts onto the outside of the house and then you render over ..

It really would lower heating bills in winter and in summer once the temp is set would keep heat out

Yes me to solid walls .

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

With the current cost of energy I wouldn’t be looking at the outlay, I’d be calculating the repayment. I reckon 4-5 years max

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With the current cost of energy I wouldn’t be looking at the outlay, I’d be calculating the repayment. I reckon 4-5 years max

After the loft, Alhambra, air con and solar within the last 4 years I'm maxed out on what I can risk on outlay lol

To be fair we use very low gas .. about 1-2 hours a day December to Feb .. rest of time put the heat pumps on to regulate temp

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are using a fan, site it as close to the floor as possible, rather than, say, at face level.
This way enables the cooler air to be circulated up, rather than the warmer air to be circulated down.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Now the nitty gritty.
What do you recommend as a) free standing and b) fixed installation units?
I gather Which? has just reported but I haven't got access. My son has but he is away in even hotter climes.
I have been told the De'Longhi Pinguino PACN82 Eco is worthwhile but know nothing of the built in types.

Which Best Buys were AEG…..

Chillflex Pro AXP26U338CW
ChillFlex Pro AXP26U558HW

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After the loft, Alhambra, air con and solar within the last 4 years I'm maxed out on what I can risk on outlay lol

To be fair we use very low gas .. about 1-2 hours a day December to Feb .. rest of time put the heat pumps on to regulate temp

Sounds like you’ve done a fair share to reduce the running costs. The current house is not one I plan on being in for more then 4 years so long term investments were never there.

I have good links for EV/solor and building so the next house will have investment there, I need to do more research on ground source pumps and hopefully by that time electric boilers would have progressed.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
a] Move to Scotland.;)
b] Our back/front of house faces East/West so mornings we close East facing shades/curtains and evenings close West facing curtains, same for vented windows. Hot mid day sun strikes no windows.
I don't get those property buyers who insist on South facing houses.
c] We live 10 miles from the coast it was 27 here and 23 on the coast.

God knows what 40 degrees feels like.(n)
Surprising the number of incomers saying the could not stand the heat in the South of England anymore.
Like my wife they say the temperature/weather in the South of Scotland compares to the South of England 30 years ago

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I ran an errand to Tesco this morning. Blooming freezing in there.. I am going back a 11pm to sleep there!

In all seriousness... how many of the folk having a moan about the heat spend lots of money flying to hot places on holiday?

It's a few days a year in the UK... tell the media to get a grip. Back to normal tomorrow! The constant moaning even extends to good weather! Second week of August, after 3 days rain, they'll say "British summer is a washout!" :rolleyes:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
a] Move to Scotland.;)
b] Our back/front of house faces East/West so mornings we close East facing shades/curtains and evenings close West facing curtains, same for vented windows. Hot mid day sun strikes no windows.
I don't get those property buyers who insist on South facing houses.
c] We live 10 miles from the coast it was 27 here and 23 on the coast.

God knows what 40 degrees feels like.(n)
Surprising the number of incomers saying the could not stand the heat in the South of England anymore.
Like my wife they say the temperature/weather in the South of Scotland compares to the South of England 30 years ago
Well I’ve just walked the 15mins into town and back to get a few bits and bobs for lunch, it’s 37.5deg at the moment (in shade) and I can confirm that it’s hot and uncomfortable…still sweating…?