Keep your cool

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Counter back with “ it’s going to be the norm more hot weather”
Not disputing the science but you would think housing regs / builders would have taken this into consideration.
But if you live in an apartment you can’t put Velux windows in your neighbour’s floor. ;)

Most apartments are just as expensive as older houses in the same area - sell the dam flat and get a house with a garden.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure on the logic of keeping windows closed to 'keep heat out'. What happened to creating a through breeze by opening one window/door at each end of the house? If your windows are all closed then you'll need the fan pointing straight at you at all times?

Edit: When I work from home it's in my conservatory, if I don't open any windows it's like an absolute sauna by 10am. Sunlight heats it up directly through the glass, I couldn't survive with the windows all shut??

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm not sure on the logic of keeping windows closed to 'keep heat out'. What happened to creating a through breeze by opening one window/door at each end of the house? If your windows are all closed then you'll need the fan pointing straight at you at all times?

Edit: When I work from home it's in my conservatory, if I don't open any windows it's like an absolute sauna by 10am. Sunlight heats it up directly through the glass, I couldn't survive with the windows all shut??
You need to keep the curtains closed too . I've done this in my Living room and it's noticeably cooler in there today.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now the nitty gritty.
What do you recommend as a) free standing and b) fixed installation units?
I gather Which? has just reported but I haven't got access. My son has but he is away in even hotter climes.
I have been told the De'Longhi Pinguino PACN82 Eco is worthwhile but know nothing of the built in types.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You need to keep the curtains closed too . I've done this in my Living room and it's noticeably cooler in there today.
The blinds are usually down on the windows too. Doesn't make a huge amount of difference. I just cannot imagine sitting in there with the windows all shut. :LOL: Unless I was trying to lose weight through sweating. Not a bad idea..

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you don't like this hot weather then why do some of you pay to go to hotspots like the Med or SE Asia or Australia?
I'm sure you would like Portugal where its' 47C, but 40C here is no good.
47C sets the limit for life. Once this temp is passed even silicon passed intelligence cannot function.

But we keep cutting down trees, opening up new oilfields, exporting coal to China, buying bigger gas guzzling cars.
Nothing to do with us. Blame China or Russia or the USA.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If you don't like this hot weather then why do some of you pay to go to hotspots like the Med or SE Asia or Australia?
47C sets the limit for life. Once this temp is passed even silicon passed intelligence cannot function.

But we keep cutting down trees, opening up new oilfields, exporting coal to China, buying bigger gas guzzling cars.

There is a world of difference between going on holiday where it’s hot and having to work all day in the same temperature.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It does if you let it in. Looking round my street today most people have their windows wide open and their curtains open. They are just letting the heat in.
Yes, I agree with that. We left this morning with our curtains closed upstairs and down. As @clubchamp98 posted, the example given on the news was of a glass fronted apartment in a city. Great for 96% of the year but like a sweat box right now. People in those flats will need to think more about heat prevention during hot spells, not just leaving things as they are.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If the breeze is 37 degrees do you think its going to warm or cool a room thats at 23 degrees?

And are you just being obtuse when comparing a conservatory to a normal room?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the breeze is 37 degrees do you think its going to warm or cool a room thats at 23 degrees?

And are you just being obtuse when comparing a conservatory to a normal room?
I'm not arguing with anyone, I'm genuinely trying to work it out. ??‍♂️ Does the logic extend to conservatories or not? To answer your first question, I always though movement of air was better than nothing, even if the temperature outside was ridiculous. Why have people been opening their windows since forever if that's wrong? So many questions.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm not arguing with anyone, I'm genuinely trying to work it out. ??‍♂️ Does the logic extend to conservatories or not? To answer your first question, I always though movement of air was better than nothing, even if the temperature outside was ridiculous. Why have people been opening their windows since forever if that's wrong? So many questions.
Maybe people don't listen to advice.......:unsure:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seen on the news yesterday new houses/ Apartments are to hot because of insulation and to much glass
So need air con to cool them down.
So not so good for global warming.!

I live in a really well insulated house with lots of glass I just keep the curtains drawn on the sunny side and windows open on the non sunny side and reverse it when the sun goes round (except windows are opened in the evening) - current temperature in the lounge (3pm) 25 degrees.

I do have one advantage though - a downstairs bedroom.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Well if the air outside is warmer than the air inside its going to warm the inside up

As for the conservatory, you get the full effect of the sun and its heat but then that heat is unable to escape hence the recent trend towards tiled roofs being retro fitted onto them (to stop them getting so much sun). Improved ventilation would help too :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The gas guzzlers is something that twists my pickle in a confusing way. We’re boarding a climate crisis yet the likes of Range Rover launch this SVR that does 10-15mpg, is 4.0l+ and turbo’s to high he’ll.

They proved with formula 1 that a 1.6l petrol hybrid is fast enough, surely the quickest way to fight this crisis would be to limit manufactures to a certain CO Limit and engine size. I know weight will come into it, but I personally don’t see any reason for anything bigger that a 2.5/3.0l getting 50+mpg (diesel) based figures.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well if the air outside is warmer than the air inside its going to warm the inside up

As for the conservatory, you get the full effect of the sun and its heat but then that heat is unable to escape hence the recent trend towards tiled roofs being retro fitted onto them (to stop them getting so much sun). Improved ventilation would help too :)
So continue opening the doors and windows then? (y)