K15 vs G30sf vs Gsf- advice please (long OP)

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Background

I have path issues (out-to-in) with driver. Always had and always will (because I have no inclination to change this). 99% of drivers will play push-slices unless I attempt to turn the club over- not good for accuracy.

I used to own the Ping K15- a notoriously forgiving club which has weight in the heel. It's impossible to make the ball go really right. The shaft broke at the bottom and I sold the head on before buying lots of drivers.

After an expensive 18 months, I bought a K15 again 8 weeks ago. Very, very happy with it. At the end of my round on Tues, I started adopting a really open stance and trying to cut it. The ball either went dead straight or had a tiny cut- but distance was still great. Played last night, tried the same, and everything was superb- haven't hit driver as well in a long time.

On the 9th, I took my swing and the shaft snapped an inch from the top of the grip :mad:

The main point of the thread:

Contacted the pro I bought it from 2nd hand and he was a gent about it. I have a few options:

1. Return the club to the pro. He will fit a second hand Ping shaft on it and return it.

Pros: It's only going to cost me postage to get a fix
Cons: I'm starting to mistrust second hand shafts. These shafts will be 5 years old now with no telling who has (ab)used them in the past

2. Return the club to the pro. He will give me a new Ping G SF Tec driver for £205

Pros: A new driver at well below market rates. 2 year guarantee with Ping customer service
Cons: The expense. Also, just because it has the same Straight Flight technology as the K15, I still have no idea whether it guarantees to eliminate huge spinny slices.

3. Go somewhere to get a brand new shaft fitted.

Pros: Cheaper than a brand new club. Work and shaft should be guaranteed.
Cons: Can't really test shafts, as the K15 is a glued-hosel kind of idea. I could test shafts on different heads, but what's the point when it might not fit the K15?

Advice sought:

1. Anyone give me any feedback about the G SF driver? Is it a hook machine (that's what I'm after) in the hands of anyone who has an inside / neutral path? Seen videos, but prefer vicarious evidence, rather than that of pro golfers.

2. What would you do?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or speak to Ping and tell them this is the second time you've had a shaft snap...

Spoke to Ping. They've said that I have to approach a Ping stockist to return the club to them. As it's second hand, I would have to pay for a repair. This could cost between £40-£100, with no guarantee that they have the shaft in stock brand new.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I'd definitely send it back to the pro to be reshafted.
Even if it's only so you can sell the club on.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't hit an SF tec so I can't help. Had no trouble hitting huge slices with the G25 and G30 standard versions.

Why don't you swing by an AG or other shop and have a hit of an SF tec and see what you think?

Mastercracker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've got a G30 SF and I assure you its entirely possible to hit a massive slice! If you have found a driver that you hit straight I'd be keeping that and getting it fixed. You seem unlucky, I'd have thought shaft breakages are pretty rare? I've certainly never had one.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always think reshafted drivers are never quite the same. I've tried the k15 and the G driver and enjoyed them both. The G driver in particular, whilst a little louder was more forgiving , so imo, I'd give that a crack. Try the different shafts if you can though. The 'Alta' felt quite light to me.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it were me in this situation I would think hard about the "always will" statement. But it's not me its you so it's a confidence vs cost thing.

Are you willing to spend the cash to elemiate doubt? Will throwing money at it breed doubt and regret?

Which type of person are you?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to put a complete spanner in the works! I had a K15 and loved it for ages but then went through a spell of hitting poor drives that even the K15 couldn't make into something decent (heel/low off the face). Spotted a bargain Callaway X2 Hot on Ebay and bought it as liked my fairway woods. If the K15 is very forgiving this thing is ridiculously so...