Justin Thomas dumped

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Sponsors pay money to have a positive role model associated with their brand. If that role model does something that is likely to alienate some of their customer base, it's a common business decision to dump them.

The act of dumping them will also generate what the sponsor sees as positive publicity.

Dustin Johnson loves cocaine and booze.

That must be why TM pay him so much.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View it this way, everyone is tightening their expenditure so dropping a sponsorship contract makes a financial benefit. Stop manufacturing in cheap homophobic markets doesn’t...
When will everyone realises it is not what you “say” and it is what you “do”gets you credibility.
We have to realise that PR is just lying or a one sided version of a story. It has no meaning. I see on LinkedIn lots of big firms promoting mental health and what great employers they are... but when the redundancy bus comes into town you know all these supposed core values disappear pretty rapidly and they will do the minimum legal requirements and even spin them round and use them as psychological weapons ( meetings on a Friday afternoon to screw the weekend.. etc)
Do I think less of JT ... nah, but RL yes they are hypocrites

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Personally think Thomas is one of the very best role models etc etc - the wording here is pretty aloof, to say the least, and unlikely to make him want to rekindle their relationship..

"As we make this decision, our hope is that Mr. Thomas does the hard and necessary work in order to partner with us again – truly examining this incident, learning, growing and ultimately using his platform to promote inclusion."

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally think Thomas is one of the very best role models etc etc - the wording here is pretty aloof, to say the least, and unlikely to make him want to rekindle their relationship..

"As we make this decision, our hope is that Mr. Thomas does the hard and necessary work in order to partner with us again – truly examining this incident, learning, growing and ultimately using his platform to promote inclusion."
That paragraph astonished me. Just about the worst example of communication I could think of. They’ve set themselves up on top of a giant horse with that. They must know they’re going to get shot at!!!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In principle I don’t have an issue with them canning him, there’s no justification for what he said, even if it’s not the most serious of crimes I don’t think anyone would disagree when I say he shouldn’t have said it.

However, as many others have pointed out, anyone that does can him had better be sure that their house is well and truly in order. It’s a strong reaction from them, they could look very silly if they don’t apply that more generally.

Bluewolf’s suggested alternative approach to go on some kind of joint campaign with JT of education etc would be a much more positive way to handle it.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sponsors pay money to have a positive role model associated with their brand. If that role model does something that is likely to alienate some of their customer base, it's a common business decision to dump them.

The act of dumping them will also generate what the sponsor sees as positive publicity.

Brand ambassador would probably be their description of what he does for them.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The day people take morality lessons of the fashion industry, is a bad day.

Nothing surprises me here. Cancel culture from the whiter than white is here to stay.

Curious if this also means RLX will stop making Ryder cup gear?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m just glad mum doesn’t buy them with cheap frozen veg like age did when I was a kid or Iceland would been in court.

I’m really on the fence. The slur used was slang, it wasn’t a directed at anyone and was open to interpretation such as any other word used in a slang manor.

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am dropping any association with RLX, they totally disrespect me as a middle aged, over weight man with a bald spot .. they set out to intentionally make me look like a sock filled with wet Pooh when I wear their clothes or their trousers like to separate my cheeks and create some unnatural biblical parting ..
please stop just catering for one body type and respect the Dads!!!
Quoting a friend directly...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Most people don’t need education to understand that use of certain words or phrases is not a great idea. That they already usually know. The change required is in the underlying thinking that leads to these words and phrases being considered derogatory to self or another and a break in the connect between thought and mouth.

I see the starting point as being to get the individual to consider why the word or phrase is in his thinking; accept and come to know that the thinking is wrong; and for him to have the humility to admit to another about his thinking and that that thinking is totally wrong. Then the individual needs to commit to himself to the rejecting of any such thoughts in the future when they pop into his head - as they will - immediately reject the thought as unacceptable - and so not allow thought to connect to mouth.

Beating someone up for such utterances does not IMO go any great way to helping them change their thinking - they have to want to change - measures aimed at forcing change in my experience in another context most often don’t work.

Last edited:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
JT will have other brands contacting him already. I wouldn’t go back to RLX if I was him.
If I had a clothing brand I’d be positively harassing him right now with a sackful of dollars. He’s always come across as a likeable, intelligent guy. Someone you’d want to play 18 with.
He made a stupid mistake. What he said was offensive. But what kind of society are we if we don’t accept an apology that appeared sincere, was almost immediate, and showed contrition.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
I doubt JT is financially bothered about being dropped by Ralph Lauren, but more concerned about being embarrassed further by the incident.
However while RL can do as they please, they are the ones who should be the more embarrassed by the unbelievably patronising language they used in the statement. It was like they were telling off a naughty schoolboy. I would be shocked if he ever wanted to work with them again.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A bit "final" by RL I think..they've not made it difficult for JT really.
He can go out now and get a contract to wear threads that look a bit better....
And I bet there's an American reporter or two digging through Ralph Lauren's business dealings right now...