justin rose is a cheat

iceandaslice1

Visit site
i cant believe that in a game that prides itself on honesty, justin rose last night signed his card for a four, when he clearly grounded his club in a hazard so that he could roll up his trouser leg which was in water.after watching this several times via sky plus, he even told his caddy of his mistake, stating "i,ve grounded my club". at first the commentry team thought that he had grounded his club to aid his slip, but after several rewinds this was clearly not the case. infact he actually raises his club into the air on slipping. do the honest thing justin and come clean. a ryder cup place is not the be all and end all in a game of honest people.

iceandaslice1

Visit site
no. read the post.he had already fallen, steadied himself, then grounded his club so he could roll up his trouser leg. its a shame the american broadcasters didnt replay it so that the studio commentators could settle it there and then. justin rose boobed, he knew straight away, yet continued his round after marking down a 4. shameful. like i,ve said, i watched it 5/6 times.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
got to say I replayed this incident and I think he 'used' this ruling loosely to help him as I would say that he had already fallen when he grounded it but it looked more like he lost his balance rather than was falling again,tough one to call but would say he used the ruling well in his favour not that he out and out cheated.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If he cheated he would have been disqualified after the event which has happened to a few players over the years. The officials were happy with the situation.

A stranger issue was the drop provided to Ben Curtis at the 16th. How he could get a drop with an unimpeded view of the green when his drive was in the trees and on to the cart path next to the hospitality tents.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
A stranger issue was the drop provided to Ben Curtis at the 16th. How he could get a drop with an unimpeded view of the green when his drive was in the trees and on to the cart path next to the hospitality tents.

This happens a lot! If we went and played Birkdale and were as wayward as some of the drives were we'd be in the deep do-do. As it is, all of the top players at some point got a lucky break on a spectator walkway!!!

Pros have the crowd to help find balls and get all sort of lucky breaks.....think about the generous drops they get from spectator stands?......your story about Curtis does not surprise me.

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
an honest mistake and did he gain ANY advantage from it? NO - so whats the big deal??

i'd also like to ask how is it fair that a drive which goes into the corporate hospitality box is not punished at all as the player is allowed a drop at least 20feet away on an area of rough which is totally trodden down with a great angle to the green??

westwood's comments about the better drivers being punished more than the wayward drivers was spot on. if they aren't going to have a decent rough 20yards from the fairway they should make them drop into the rough closer to the fairway.

iceandaslice1

Visit site
blimey! did he gain any advantage? well if you discount $165,000 and valuable ryder cup points, the answer to your question is no. no wonder he looked sheepish in his interview after his round. bet he didnt sleep much last night.

dangermouse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
blimey! did he gain any advantage? well if you discount $165,000 and valuable ryder cup points, the answer to your question is no. no wonder he looked sheepish in his interview after his round. bet he didnt sleep much last night.

I bet he slept just fine with his ryder cup place in the bag and another $165k in the bank!

Agree it was borderline at best, but as others have said, he didn't gain an advantage on the shot from it, so hanging him from the nearest tree may not be an appropriate response.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sometimes you have to use the rules to your advantage, like Rose and Curtis. After all there are plenty of times when the rules work against you (like having to drop your ball out of a flooded bunker under penalty). In this age of trial by TV (remember Michelle Wie's dodgy drop last year and Ross Fisher going back to the spot he moved a weed in the Dutch Open) if Rose did anything wrong then it would have been picked up. Also each group had a referee with them who I'm sure was watching the situation intently. With that in mind I would think again about labelling Justin Rose a "cheat" and I think you should apologise publicly on this forum. As for looking sheepish during the interview, he probably just felt a bit daft for nearly doing a Woody / Finchy.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Breathtaking!!

By any definition he was off balance when he grounded the club,therefore what he did was entirely acceptable.

What is wrong with people,did you not see and hear him discuss it with his caddie and hear what the commentators said. Why cant you be pleased that one of our finest Golfers is hitting form coming up to the Ryder Cup?