Just starting out - online handicaps/playing partner wanted etc.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
There's no right or wrong way to grip the club as in which method. So whatever feels natural and good for you.

I used to have an interlocking but changed to the Vardon but that was because I was blistering my litter finger for some reason, probably not gripping correctly.

Nicklaus, Woods and McIlroy all use the interlocking grip so you are in good company

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My understanding of competent person is...they do not necessarily need to be a member of that club to mark a card but they need to be a member of a golf club. For example I had someone from another club mark my cards at the time and beside their signature I had them put their GUI number to identify their competence/suitability
Me and my mate joined our club at the same time, and the club secretary said he was happy for us to mark each other's cards. How he deemed us competent people when he'd only just met us I'm not sure. He might have changed his opinion by now. :D

ToffeePie9

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I will see about getting a handicap shortly, I figure that getting a handicap early will give me something to work towards and allow me to see improvements in my game even on days where I feel frustrated.

One thing I have struggled with in the last few rounds is my putting. Even when I am consciously thinking about it, I cannot seem to putt the ball hard enough to get there. Some of my putts end up 3/4 or even 1/2 of the distance I need them on the longer putts.

I tried to visualise aiming for a spot past the hole in an attempt to offset my soft putts but that doesnt seem to be working.

Are there any good putting drills I can do at home or any good training aids I can buy for putting? I have seen a few pricey mats online but not sure if these are worth the money to be honest.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I've just bought a putt-out. It's 320 from American Golf, and gives you good feedback. You just place it on your carpet (or even your club putting green) and putt to it. If you get it on target the ball is returned to you the same distance it would have gone past the hole had it missed, so you soon see how hard you should be stroking the ball for a given distance.

Another good drill for lag putting it putt from one end of the room to the skirting board at the other end. The aim is to have the ball roll up and touch the board without hitting it and bouncing off.

ToffeePie9

Hacker
Visit site
I've just bought a putt-out. It's 320 from American Golf, and gives you good feedback. You just place it on your carpet (or even your club putting green) and putt to it. If you get it on target the ball is returned to you the same distance it would have gone past the hole had it missed, so you soon see how hard you should be stroking the ball for a given distance.

Another good drill for lag putting it putt from one end of the room to the skirting board at the other end. The aim is to have the ball roll up and touch the board without hitting it and bouncing off.

Is this the one? https://www.americangolf.co.uk/balls-accessories/mats-nets/puttout-deluxe-putting-mat-325055.html

Do you need this to go with it? https://www.americangolf.co.uk/ball...uttout-pressure-putt-training-aid-313061.html

I wasnt sure £70 or £100 with the second item as well was worth it or if I was effectively paying for a piece of carpet to go on my floor :D

ToffeePie9

Hacker
Visit site
Does anyone have any opinions on who the best golf teacher is in the North West area?

From reading through the forum, there are your bog standard teachers and then there are your teachers who are really involved. Even if it means they are more expensive, I am thinking I would just have less lessons but of more quality.

However, it is difficult to tell who is the business as they all big themselves up online so any opinions would be much appreciated.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site

ToffeePie9

Hacker
Visit site
I didn’t buy the mat, just the pressure training aid. Works fine on carpet

Thanks mate, I will go with that.

In terms of lessons in the NW, I have been quoted at £350 for 6 hours of lessons. Nearly £60 per hour seems excessive to me but I have no idea if that is what the top teachers earn.

Elsewhere I have been quoted at 10 hours for £370 but I have no idea of how the two teachers compare quality wise.

As I am just starting out, how much difference could a "high end" teacher make compared to a regular club pro?

Thanks,

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Quality matters, but what matters more is a teacher you get on with and understands you. I look for a teacher who knows clearly what I want, is able to communicate clearly to me his techniques and methods of teaching and I understand those. The relationship is as important as the quality.

I would never buy a block of lessons as you may find on your first lesson you simply don't click or enjoy/understand his approach/techniques. Buy one from one or two different ones to assess what feels right for you. After that at least you can buy block lessons with some confidence

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you were learning to drive a car would you have lessons from Lewis Hamilton?

Probably not.

You can get all the info you need at your stage for £30 ph no problem as long as he/she are PGA qualified

ToffeePie9

Hacker
Visit site
Sounds like great advice and I hadn't considered it like that. Appreciate the responses, I'll get some lessons booked with a few different people.