Just Started Learning (Video)

chiefscout

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have just started learning to play golf this summer. I am absolutely loving it and have learnt from watching/reading bits on the internet.

I have been to the range about three times and played two rounds. I already feel *fairly* comfortable with the driver, but on my second driving range trip and round, I found I kept pushing shots right, topping them and generally duffing them.

After doing some reading yesterday and doing some self analysis on my swing, I felt like I wasn't rotating my hips enough. So I tried this at the range today with just hitting some 6 iron shots and had a huge breakthrough. Needlesss to say, my swing is still pretty ugly, but I was hitting really crisp iron shots, straight down the middle. I was mis-hitting a few, but this was a massive improvement on where I was.

Nevertheless, I know there is still a lot of work to do on my swing so I thought I would video it and ask for some feedback if any of you have time. Watching it myself (I hit this shot really nice although you can't really see that) I fear my left leg on the backswing is doing too much. What might be the problem in doing so?

Any other feedback on where I might improve would be extremely gratefully receieved.

Video is here - http://youtu.be/Df7uZj79jlY

APologies for the poor quality - rubbish iPhone!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm really not in a position to say, although I do notice you do the left heel off the ground, bendy knee thing I did.....I soon stopped that I tell you.

By itself, it not exactly a crime, but if you lift your body and sway to the back foot it's not ideal.

I lifted and swayed for ages, it still shows to this day.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Firstly, welcome to the forum.
A very good swing :)
As always there are a few issues I can see, one of which you've already mentioned.....your left leg.
Try and keep your left heel on the ground throughout the whole swing.
And secondly, take a look at your posture at address. Compare it to some of the guys on tv. See how more dynamic they look with theeir backs a bit straighter and hands a little further away from the legs.

Heres an example below how Big Ernie on the right is good while the chap on the left is not so good

ern3.jpg

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bob...if the arms hang down naturally, would you say the hands appear directly under the chin...like Tiger, say?

pic_tiger_posture_lines2-1.jpg

and somewhat amazingly, look where Ernie gets them before impact.

ErnieElspreimpact.jpg

Hard to see him slicing it from there! :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, I'd like to see them pretty close to below the chin.
Although a little further out with the longer irons/woods

This is a wedge so a bit closer

Photo0-7.jpg