Just about to get second-hand clubs - what to look out for?

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Apologies for the novice question but I'm about to head down to my local pro shop on my pro's recommendation and get my first set of clubs. My pro has recommended some second hand i15s which are available at around £275. Had a look the other day and they're in good nick but what do I need to keep my eye out for with them? :rolleyes:

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Whether or not you can hit them would be the first thing. If the pro is of good repute then condition should be "as advertised".

Ha, thank you. I was meaning in terms of wear/tear - is it just generally the club face and then looking for any misshaped shafts? Will have a hit with them although not sure how much that'll help given my ineptitude with any clubs in hand!

My pro isn't actually affiliated with the store but he, and a few other local pros, all recommend this particular store so hopefully they're not going to fleece me!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Are you a beginner ? Ping i15's are aimed at at mid/lower handicappers. Less forgiving than G15's. Make sure you try before buying. Check for matching serial numbers and what dot they are. Black dot standard, but there are plenty of other coloured dots which mean clubs have different lies.

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Are you a beginner ? Ping i15's are aimed at at mid/lower handicappers. Less forgiving than G15's. Make sure you try before buying. Check for matching serial numbers and what dot they are. Black dot standard, but there are plenty of other coloured dots which mean clubs have different lies.
Thanks. I had looked at the lie dot colours and decided green and above should be appropriate for me. Went in to the pro shop and was told to look at G15s, not I15s, so maybe worth having another word with my pro before committing. Going in Saturday for a fitting.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If this is going to be your first set of clubs ideally you should be looking at a new set of Wilson Di 9's or 11's, Cobra S2 or 3's, Nike Machspeeds,Taylormade Burners or similar all of which come in at under £300 new with warranty.

The Ping i15 are a very good club but are designed for the better player who is ready to step up from game improvement irons but is not yet ready for blades. Personally I wouldn't recommend the Pings unless you have a handicap between 0 and 18.

If you buy off the internet make sure you buy from a reputable dealer such as online golf, american golf etc. There are many web sites selling very good quality fakes, (almost impossible to tell the difference until you hit a ball), so you need to do your homework first.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apologies for the novice question but I'm about to head down to my local pro shop on my pro's recommendation and get my first set of clubs. My pro has recommended some second hand i15s which are available at around £275. Had a look the other day and they're in good nick but what do I need to keep my eye out for with them? :rolleyes:

As already said i15's are not beginers clubs, you might spend your money more wisely on a set of GI clubs (Game Improvement)