Joining the R&A

D

Deleted member 18588

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the R&A is the governing body of Golf and not a golf club.

A trifle pedantic but,nevertheless, correct.

The golf club is the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews.

The R&A is the ruling body of golf outside of North America and also organises events such as the Open Championship.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Links Ticket prices are complex as there's lots of variations. Most you can pay is £920 for the open unrestricted ticket for all courses which anyone in the world would pay to retain their ticket without being a member of an affiliated club. It then gets cheaper if you're resident in north east fife, in town, a student of the university etc. and whether or not you have a full or restricted (5 day, not including old course) ticket and a member of an affiliated club. It's tricky to outline costs exactly because of so many variations.

So depending on circumstances you can be paying anywhere between £200 and £1000 a year approximately.

I'd say is probably the most flexible, good value and fairest golf "membership" deals going.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Links Ticket prices are complex as there's lots of variations. Most you can pay is £920 for the open unrestricted ticket for all courses which anyone in the world would pay to retain their ticket without being a member of an affiliated club. It then gets cheaper if you're resident in north east fife, in town, a student of the university etc. and whether or not you have a full or restricted (5 day, not including old course) ticket and a member of an affiliated club. It's tricky to outline costs exactly because of so many variations.

So depending on circumstances you can be paying anywhere between £200 and £1000 a year approximately.

I'd say is probably the most flexible, good value and fairest golf "membership" deals going.

So are memberships to the R&A comparative to all the othet tickets for St Andrews or is it an expensive club to join and pay playing fee's to?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So are memberships to the R&A comparative to all the othet tickets for St Andrews or is it an expensive club to join and pay playing fee's to?

Played with a friend today who is an R&A member.
You have to be recommended by 2 other members , they are only allowed to propose one person in a certain period of time.. You then go in "the book" in the meantime you have get 10 or 15 letters of recommendation from. Other members, which takes another few years. He pays About £700 but is an "overseas" mber . Think there was a joining fee , but he couldn't remember how much. There are apparently far more overseas members and it easier to become one of those.