joining a golf club

Mowgli

Hacker
Visit site
I have been playing golf for a year and am well and truely loving the game (Well most of the time). Its now time to join a golf club and get a handicap.

Delemia do i join a club where the course is renound for being a hard course where it may take longer to get a handicap down. Or join a club where the course is a little more forgiving and the handicap may drop quicker.

Example my mate as been playing the China fleet course for 5 years and as a handicap of 17.5. However whenever we play other courses he plays like a 9-10 handicapper and people think he is a bandit. Advice and throughts

Regards

Mowgli

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My $0.02:

You should join a club which has a great course and good members. Whether it is hard or easy shouldn't really be an issue although I can understand why it would be. If I had to choose I would always take a hard course over an easy course. Whether people think you are a bandit or not is irrelevant: they are entitled to their opinions no matter how wrong they may be, such are the wonders of democracy and free speech.

G_2112

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why not just join the course you enjoy most?

If it happens to test all the shots in your bag then even better. That'll be the best way to improve. No point playing a course where you're hitting a wedge into every green. Your long irons and fairway woods will suffer.

DriveForShow

Medal Winner
Visit site
Depends if you intend to play in competitions at other clubs. If you mainly intend to play in your own club's conmpetitions then whether it is a hard or easy course will make no difference as almost all the club members will have their handicap awarded based on their scores over that track, so you will neither be at an advantage or disadvantage.

Lipout

Medal Winner
Visit site
Join the club that makes you feel comfortable and a course you enjoy.
Anyway, if your playing well you will enjoy any course. The problem starts when your playing crap, if its a perceived easy course you will blame yourself and should assess your game, because you know you should be better. However if its a difficult course is it not all to easy to blame the course and not your game?
In relation to a handicap the SSS or CSS will make adjustments for the difficulty of the course, so thats not really a great factor.
Enjoy your golf no matter where you play, and remember a shank is a shank where ever you play!!!

Mowgli

Hacker
Visit site
Guys,

Thanks for your input and advice it is appreciated. You are right about Members,Atomosphere,Course etc..... i think i was just getting blinkered.

I have never been one to take the easy option well not all the time. Having only been playing for just a year and am always looking to improve my game all the time ( Aren't we all). I think i have sorted out my delemia.

Regards

Mowgli :rolleyes:

BIDZ81

Visit site
Hello,

I have been playing a for just over a year and have the privilage to be a member of two clubs. One at a discounted rate via work. The other is my local club.

I play off 14 and i would say that because we are all new to the game and have the golfing bug, that getting as much practise and games in is essential. Therefore join your nearest club to your home.

Regards Bidz81 :cool: :cool: :cool:

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Veriety is the spice of life.

Try and play in a few Open events locally once you join a club and this will be like your regular performance guide as to how you are playing to your handicap outwith the comfort zone of your home track.