Johnson - Harsh or not?

Scott1505

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well what's your thoughts?

I believe it was made clear to the players that all these areas were classed as bunkers. Therefore only has himself to blame. Harsh but fair!

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Correct decision based on the rules of the game and the local rule imposed for the PGA. However the PGA need to look at the way they marshalled the crowds as the bunker was outside the ropes and the crowd were allowed trample all over the bunker for the entire week.

Welling

Hacker
Visit site
harsh but you hit like that on some course's you have a LOST BALL. He was lucky to have a shot and he and his caddy fked it.

algar5

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agreed harsh and just about fair, but they really have to sort out the crowd control as it was a shambles.

If they are classing all sand filled areas as bunkers they have to try and keep the crowds out of them. I mean what next spectators with kids building sandcastles !!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Each group has a rules official with them. Does not take much common sense to check whether the sand you are in is a bunker. Silly mistake and totally fair ruling especially as it sounds like everyone was warned and there were notices on the mirrors in the locker room to drive the message home

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think it was harsh, didn't look like a bunker to me, more like a scrubby bit of dust - was there actually any sand?

Even the BBC website commentary text says "Dustin's got a decent lie off some dusty stuff and he's given it an almighty thump..."

If the bunker has a realistic chance of being in play then I feel it should be more defined, it was only 10yds off the fairway. They could even have roped it off to stop spectators totally trashing it beyond recognition.

I think they should scrub Whistling Straits off the playlist if they can't manage it properly, it cost the guy a major (potentially).

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Most of the bunkers are cosmetic, and are un-raked. He shouldn't have been there anyway. He should certainly have recognised it as a bunker, after all, he has walked passed nearly 1000 of them every day for the last 5 days. If you can't spot one after that, get down to spec savers.

To me, the course was really interesting, and way better than the usual US fayre. I'd happily see a major there again.

Penalty? Fair.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This may hurt more than the US Open blow-up. But he's been in contention and he knowa he can do it if he can stop thinking like a blithering idiot!

I havn't seen the full footage, only the replay on SSNews and it doesn't look like a bunker in those shots. But it is sand and he should really have thought about it a bit more.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
On the basis that notices had been posted in the locker room all week to say that "any sanded areas should be treated as bunkers" I think he's only got himself to blame really.

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Apparently the PGA made it No ! on the local rules list that all sandy parts of the course should be treated as a bunker. plus as already said, notices were up in the changing rooms.
I thought to myself when I was watching live, ''his grounded his club he cant do that'' especially as the cameraman was 6 feet behind him.

As for taking Whistling Straits off the list for Majors? I think in the not to distant future that it is down for the Ryder Cup. Personally I think its a great test for the pro's. Not to sure I would fancy some of those shots to the par 3 along the coast though.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agreed harsh and just about fair, but they really have to sort out the crowd control as it was a shambles.

If they are classing all sand filled areas as bunkers they have to try and keep the crowds out of them. I mean what next spectators with kids building sandcastles !!

Why keep the crowds out of them? The pros are more than happy to take a decent lie in what would be thick rough if it hadn't been trampled by the spectators so they can't expect decent lie in a bunker under similar circumstances, it is a hazard after all. Can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

He was told, he could easily have checked with the rules official, it's his own fault.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Totally agree with the decision. You get something go against you in football and it's whining, whingeing, appeals, complaints to the Court of Arbitration etc.

In golf, you just accept it was your own fault and you move on.

Anyone who honestly starts complaining about this decision or thinks it was wrong should look at themselves in the mirror and ask themselves if they are real golfers.

The rules are there and are clear. If you don't want to play by them or accept them, don't play golf.

All credit to Dustin Johnson for accepting the decision and moving on.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only has himself to blame in all honesty. It's a terrible thiing to happen on top of his US Open blow up and you feel for the guy. But hey never mind we have another Euro Tour winner. Wouldnt have minded Bubba winning either tbh , seems like a nice guy and I love watching him belt his driver. Like an octopus fighting off a swarm of wasps.

big_mean_bunny

Club Champion
Visit site
can't believe you lot! was it David Howell on Sky last night? Pompus rulesworth tw@t he came across as. Talking about why golf is great because of its black and white rules despite the 3 other commentators being appalled.

Regardless of the posters and the local rules this looked like barren grounds, I can't help but feel that someone else will have done the same and gotten away with it during the week due to being in a less high profile group with no camera coverage.

Furthermore, knowing that this was one of the final groups with leading/potential winners the ref should have been in there to remind Dustin that he could potentially be in one of the areas treated as bunkers and done a much better job of getting the crowd and press from out of the bunker he was standing in!

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
100 % the correct decision by everyone bar the idiot that is Dustin Johnson.

As soon he grounded the club I remarked to my other half that he was screwed as he was in a hazard,in the opening piece on Thursday Howard Clark did a bit where he was talking about the 1190 bunkers or whatever the number was and how they were ALL classed as just that....bunkers! :D

So how they hell I can know that sitting on my fat arse at home and Johnson can't is simply beyond me!

Me thinks this guys brain goes into scramble mode when the heat is on.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A lot of the courses I play on in Florida have these 'waste' bunkers. They are never raked, you can drive a buggy through them, but you can't ground your club. He must have grown up with these, they are not unusual.

HogansAlley

Assistant Pro
Visit site
According to Golf Digest (see link below), Johnson has admitted to not reading the local rules because 'I only look at it if I have a reason to…' This is ignorance on a shocking level. The 'reason' Dustin, in this case, is that if had read them you may very well now be a major champion.

I feel sorry for him but what an idiot.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/pga-championship/2010-08/golf-kindred-0815