Jim Venetos golf swing

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Went out and practiced this swing before playing and looked at the video of my swing, hit 30 balls with p/w all went around 80/100 yard mark with a dispersion of around 15/20 yards.

What was most noticeable when I looked at the slow motion was there was no swaying, big difference to my other swing I looked at from a couple of weeks ago.

Went out and played and only missed one fairway with my drives and the one I missed was only by a few feet, some of the drives were 20 yards longer than I normally hit. By having the weight on my left side kept me from swaying so much, I was playing in our winter league so didn't set the hips so much with the driver as I think this will need more practice.

The irons were ok,again I was mainly trying to keep my weight on the left side and keep still probebly set my hips more with the irons but not as much as advocated in the swing.

Best shots were a par 3 at 180 yards a hole I normally take a hybrid or 5 wood, with the wind helping I decided to try a 5 iron and hit the front of the green, another par 4 I had 145 yards into the wind and hit the green.

Worst shots were with a p/w 3rd shot into a par 5 which I left short and into a lake, and a 9 iron 2nd shot into our 18th which again I left short.

I felt it a very positive day , by no means am I fully doing this swing i.e. setting the hips at address but by just having my weight more on the left side has helped keeping still and stop the swaying.

But looking at the swing I noticed my grip was to strong something I've been trying to address of late, also the ball position was to far forward in my stance. So more to work on.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The best drill I've ever found to combat swaying was to try and hit as full a shot as you can with your feet together. It works.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's all about real and feel, you may think you're not swaying but often you do.
Two things to check when keeping the weight on the front side on the backswing
1. You dont over do it
2. The weight doesn't move onto the back foot on the downswing

Diamond

Visit site
Had a friend offer some advice about my out to in swing and slicing. After googling came across Jim Venetos on you tube, I a: going to give this a whirl this week at the range.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watched this, then watched some other stuff. The key is the shoulders at impact and setting of the swing path. Both Moe and Ventos affectively do the same thing they pre set impact and put the shoulders on to a swing plane ...

robbeh32

Visit site
Am intrigued by this. so does this mean you just lean all your weight over one foot for the whole of the swing? Never seen anyone do it. Will try at range before trying it one course!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did not work for me played 9 holes trying this and was thinning alot of my shots.
I don’t think you can just take it to the course without having some range time. The difficulty is staying planted and making sure the arms are ahead of the shoulders. I think it’s like the drill where your trail foot is behind you and you swing, making you turn about your lead hip.

Diamond

Visit site
I don’t think you can just take it to the course without having some range time. The difficulty is staying planted and making sure the arms are ahead of the shoulders. I think it’s like the drill where your trail foot is behind you and you swing, making you turn about your lead hip.

I am wondering if grip and rotation is the way forward rather than planting of weigh in your left.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am wondering if grip and rotation is the way forward rather than planting of weigh in your left.
Ventos said he had a strong grip but it’s worth having a lesson to check the fundamental are sound before you go changing too much