I've asked this question before.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I didn't get a proper answer then, so I'll ask it again. Is the late unlocking of the wrists a deliberate act, or does it naturally happen? I notice that in a lot of classic swings, like those of Hogan's, Bobby Jones', and many others, their wrists are still fully cocked in the downswing until their hands are well below the 9 o'clock position. Do they then make a concious effort to undock, or does it happen naturally for them. I'd really like to know..

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm really beginning to think its a natural movement and can only be added to a swing with intensive training and the right coach.
I've never not had it but played with people with zero lagg and they cant seem to figure out why.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Guess you'd really have to ask them but I think if your timing is correct it pretty much happens automatically.

And that's one of the things that makes all great players, timing, wish I had a bit.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm really beginning to think its a natural movement and can only be added to a swing with intensive training and the right coach.
I've never not had it but played with people with zero lagg and they cant seem to figure out why.

Yes I'm tending to agree, but it seems quite incredible that the club head advances to the impact position like a slingshot. I'm hoping that I don't have to develope another swing-thought.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It has never really concerned me and I've never looked too hard on my wrist cock. I'm more worried about what the club is doing through the hitting area and to a degree that how it got there isn't the issue.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

uh ha. You've played with me then.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I didn't get a proper answer then, so I'll ask it again. Is the late unlocking of the wrists a deliberate act, or does it naturally happen? I notice that in a lot of classic swings, like those of Hogan's, Bobby Jones', and many others, their wrists are still fully cocked in the downswing until their hands are well below the 9 o'clock position. Do they then make a concious effort to undock, or does it happen naturally for them. I'd really like to know..

If you're thinking about something during your ¼ second downswing other than the target or the back of the ball then you've got issues. You could never time a conscious release of a wrist angle effectively/consistently. For me the best thing is to consider there's no uncocking at all... which is certainly better than an early flip :thup:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It is possible to stop the club releasing by gripping onto it with a vice like hold and slowing the rotation down. If you take a relaxed grip and have some lag in the wrists as your hands reach the right leg then you will not be able to stop the club from releasing. The force that does this is called COAM (Coefficient of angular momentum). You can google it and read up on how it works.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wot he said (Brian). Will just add if you have the wrist cock set correctly in the back swing, Plus you don't cast from the top at the start of the down swing. It will happen naturally, just as long as you don't strangle the life from the club.