It's nice to be invited.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My wife and I were invited to a wedding in the Brands Hatch area of Kent which was very much appreciated, but now that I have returned home to North Wales I find that I am about £500 lighter. Two night in the Brands Hatch Place hotel with food and drinks cost £390, fuel costs about £80 plus tailoring costs to have the waist let out on my dinner suit all added up. Not to mention a small gift for the happy couple, and of course, I haven't mentioned that the good lady needs a new outfit for every wedding we attend.

Don't get me wrong, we had a wonderful time and we were pleased to be present, but I do have to stifle a groan when these invitations arrive.

Anybody else look forward to attending weddings?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hello Dave, I've not been invited to a wedding for a few years now. I'm getting to the age (45) when most of my friends are already married. I do understand it can be an expensive time though, the last one I went to cost in the region of 500 notes to.

You've seen the film 4 weddings and a funeral.......you can tell your getting old when it turns round to 4 funerals and a wedding......still you only need a black suit for those :)

B

birdieman

Dave,

I can sympathise totally, I hate getting wedding invitations. As you say the wife demands a new outfit, the cost of a present (apparently a bottle of scotch is insufficient), hotel costs, having to waste valuable holidays, petrol cost.

Worse than the wedding for expenses but at least more fun is the stag do. I had 2 this summer costing hundereds each which I really couldn't afford. One I had to organise which I could've done without too, then the stress of crap speeches etc. Upside was one of them was golf based. T'other involved a dinghy full of fatties trying to float down the Tummel river (under the event description of 'white water rafting') but getting constantly beached on stones and having to push as there was insufficient water in the River.

Ttssskk.....Do these wedding invite types think of no-one but themselves?? :mad:

dangermouse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
birdieman - you could have come to my wedding as a bottle of scotch would have been greatly appreciated!

Last stag do I went on cost me a load - made the mistake of booking 20 tickets for the races on my credit card, and everyone gave me the cash on the day. So of course, I had a skinful and put the lot on a horse. Which may or may nmot have finished the race by next Easter.

People do get demanding these days in terms of presents - I refused to have a wedding list as I think its really cheeky to ask for anything.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As if all the cost of a new outfit for HID, the accommodation, petrol and present isn't bad enough (plus stag do) all of these people seem to think that Saturday is a good day to hold a wedding on. Don't they realise there are monthly medals to be played and handicaps to defend?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not a wedding, but for the past two years me and the Missus have attended our motorbike clubs Northern section Christmas "do"...
It initially sounded cheap at £32.00 per head.
But add the cost of fuel, two nights accommodation at a "cheap" hotel and beer money and there wasn't much change out of £400.00
We're not going this year
:D

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I didnt do a list, Im not keen on that sort of thing at all to be honest as people in my eyes should be allowed to give what they see is a fitting gift.

All we said was if you would like to give us a gift thats great.

The stag/hen thing is getting out of hand, myself and dee have friends getting married and if we both went on the respective do's we would be £1000 lighter that month. Ouch.

All I did was go to the footy with the boys, for a ruby, a few jars in the pub and then to a nightclub, was fantastic but still ran us all £200 each or so just for that.

B

birdieman

Wise words Homer, one couple had the nerve to hold their nuptials on Saturday June 14th, my heart sank when I found out as that was the 2nd round of the Club Championships.
Frankly quite annoyed about that one. The groom is a golfer too. :mad:

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
it's my nephews in two weeks, Just an hawiian shirt and bermuda shorts for me, He told the missus to tell me it was a themed do for a laugh. We'll see who's laughing when the photo's show me as magnum pi... :D i'll teach him a harsh lesson. He even had the cheek to go to Edinburgh on the stag do and not invite me cos he thought i was too old..... little B@$£@£d

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Weddings...PAH! I have yet to go to a wedding (except mine, which was different)where the main charactors actually look happy! After spending weeks of nervous stressful run up to the day by Bride Groom and parents, after loads of senseless expense, most of which goes un-noticed by the majority of guests, after confusion, arguments and tears, the actual day is a predictable run of the mill event where the only real bit of fun comes from the best man and/or father of the bride, but only if you are lucky, in some cases a funeral durge would be more appealing. Then there is the cluster of people who only come to weddings to get drunk and the others who just come to comment on everyone there and be nosey. When its all over the drunks get drunker and the rest drift away wittering to one another about what was good about it and what was bad about it.lol.
If there have been no fights then you ve been lucky.

I hate weddings, I have had to go to far too many in my life and never really enjoyed the wedding itself at all and very few receptions and am now at the age where nephews/nieces are going through it, I recently went to one that was utter CRAP! but I do hope they were happy.lol

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are all so lucky! Being mid / late 20`s I have at least 1 a month most summers! We had to go to Italy for the last one!
And they last bloody ages as most of HID mates are catholic and they have the full blown mass thing etc. They cost so much money!!!

flandango

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a wedding in august. 2 stag do's one in swindon and a weekend in newquay. 2 hen do's one in swindon weekend in bristol spa.

Total cost £850
Wedding outfit for missus £140
My sharp new suit £450 (its an investment)
Wedding present £50 cheque
Wedding day £150

Total cost = £1640 GOD DAMN MATES!!!!!

I got two this year one stag in dublin and one in vegas. gonna do around £4000 in weddings etc this year. ouch!

I had the decency to have a free bar which I think was appriciated!!!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a wedding in august. 2 stag do's one in swindon and a weekend in newquay. 2 hen do's one in swindon weekend in bristol spa.

Total cost £850
Wedding outfit for missus £140
My sharp new suit £450 (its an investment)
Wedding present £50 cheque
Wedding day £150

Total cost = £1640 GOD DAMN MATES!!!!!

I got two this year one stag in dublin and one in vegas. gonna do around £4000 in weddings etc this year. ouch!

I had the decency to have a free bar which I think was appriciated!!!

I recon there should be a clause in every wedding that should the buggers divorce at any time in the future they have to re-fund all wedding guests expenses.lol.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bloody hell guys! Have a listen to yourselves will you? Grumpy old men or what?
Weddings are great. One of the few times I get to dress up, go out all day minus the kids usually and drink all day. Usually while catching up with family/mates I haven't seen in a while. It's the only occasion that different generation of the family can socialize on a level playing ground. I love them.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Another opportunity to dress up and catch up with mates/relatives on a level playing field, but not as expensive as weddings sort of thing. As in weddings not the only occasion.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are a cold man Murph! I agree with Atticus though, I would hasten to add though that it is the reception I enjoy- not the actual wedding *snore*zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another opportunity to dress up and catch up with mates/relatives on a level playing field, but not as expensive as weddings sort of thing. As in weddings not the only occasion.

True Murph, but they're not quite as joyful an occasion are they? Also, I don't like seeing young children at funerals. I think their innocence should be protected as long as possible.