Is Twitter/Facebook a good way to meet new playing partners?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

Seems most people now (including celebs) are on these social media sites. Do you think it is a good way to arrange a game with someone well known, maybe to support a charity event or similar?

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would say no, most of those accounts will be run by staff.
One of our customers is a PA for reasonably well known singer - they are inundated with inquires most of which he says just gets deleted.

Probably better going via an agent.

D

Deleted member 1418

Interesting question - I'm not sure to be honest. Celebs have so many people following them that they know nothing about. How do you know who's a genuine fan; or who's a stalker/psycho. I'm sure none of them want to be the next 'Dando'!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Interesting question - I'm not sure to be honest. Celebs have so many people following them that they know nothing about. How do you know who's a genuine fan; or who's a stalker/psycho. I'm sure none of them want to be the next 'Dando'!

Dando is on here. I played with him at Swinley. Nice guy, cant chip.

D

Deleted member 15344

I guess celebs have to be careful - i know people like Charlie hull , Naga ( can’t spell her second name ) are constantly hounded by people asking for games etc etc - both end up blocking loads as it can become a bit creepy for them. The best and most sensible way is to go via their agents etc - or even the club they represent if it’s someone like Hull. Can see on Twitter the amount of 50 year old men begging for games - really creepy

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must work for some people, didn't a guy tweet Sergio every day for a year to caddie for him some time and Sergio eventually let him?

Think it depends on what your looking for, some will reply some will just ignore.

D

Deleted member 1418

I would say no, most of those accounts will be run by staff.
One of our customers is a PA for reasonably well known singer - they are inundated with inquires most of which he says just gets deleted.

Probably better going via an agent.

Suppose it all depends on the 'celebrity', the field they're in, and how much they're in the public eye........and also how important they view themselves!! Would imagine that Twitter more than FB is the actual person.

TBH if I was a pro golfer I would imagine I'd only be responding to those who I know, so other golfers/celebs.........and the GM guys of course (that's the magazine guys and not any of you numpties - I'd definitely be fearing the worst!! ;) :D

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
twitter is great for interaction, I think that interaction has to have boundaries. If I was to pester Charlie Hull or Carly Booth for a game it would be really creepy.
There's a young female pro near me that I know, have spoken to, but I would never follow her on twitter because it makes me look like a knob, and unless she's got some serious daddy issues, the relationship has no future :eek:

what I do find tiresome on twitter is the constant self promotion and the desperate need for re-tweets like they are some kind of validation

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Suppose it all depends on the 'celebrity', the field they're in, and how much they're in the public eye........and also how important they view themselves!! Would imagine that Twitter more than FB is the actual person.

TBH if I was a pro golfer I would imagine I'd only be responding to those who I know, so other golfers/celebs.........and the GM guys of course (that's the magazine guys and not any of you numpties - I'd definitely be fearing the worst!! ;) :D

if I was a pro, I'd run the account myself, and just get lashed and abuse people like Westy has been known to, it would be hilarious

D

Deleted member 15344

if I was a pro, I'd run the account myself, and just get lashed and abuse people like Westy has been known to, it would be hilarious

Talking of Westwood - both him and Rory McIlory posted on the old BBC 606 message boards - and they both proved it was them by saying what colour tops they would wear the next day and doing things on the green etc - they were pretty good on it

D

Deleted member 1418

Talking of Westwood - both him and Rory McIlory posted on the old BBC 606 message boards - and they both proved it was them by saying what colour tops they would wear the next day and doing things on the green etc - they were pretty good on it

So perhaps Tiger Woods is indeed the man himself.........!!!

D

Deleted member 1418

Of course, in answer to the OP, if you were a golfer looking for a game (could be someone new to the game and just acquired a 54 handicap) you could just join a golf forum, introduce yourself, see if they have a 'Arrange a game' section or something similar and then see what happens. You never know, they may even have people don't mind setting up games or big forum meets. :whistle: :D

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Carly Booth was on just the other day asking for your info. Out of respect for Mrs D I told her no !

Too right too 😁😁

Now she's not looking over my shoulder - you wait, I shall get you after school 😣😣😣