Is this racism?

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
Ref the bit highlighted, what evidence do you have that Brits have evolved to a greater degree? As an island nation, with less cross border traffic than, say, the Dutch/German border or Dutch/French border I'd say the opposite is true, i.e. that Brits are more likely to be racist than our neighbours.

And just to go back to the highlighted comment; the following is a definition of racism. Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity. Your comment could be deemed racist.

Absolutely, it could be, and that's why political correctness is so bonkers. Your definition of the word "racism" is indeed what it reads in the dictionary. In reality we all have our own definition. I certainly believe that certain races are superior to others, and that's how the planet has evolved. However, I treat every person as an individual and will befriend those I like, and keep out of the way of those I don't. In other words, my opinion of their race does not effect my opinion of them as individuals. Now, most sensible people wouldn't consider me a racist, but there are those who will read the dictionary definition of the word and say I am.

Some years ago, and prior to retirement, I attended an equal opportunities management course. Although I am far from politically correct, I worked in an environment where I had to be quite careful. There were seven of us in the room, and we were all assured by the instructor that we could speak openly and honestly. We were then asked to announce our prejudices. Five of the seven people in the room said they didn't like the French (I wasn't one). After we announced our prejudices I asked the instructor if it was considered OK to dislike people from a European country, and if so was it OK to dislike someone from an Asian country. She skipped around the answer like a politician, but I know what she wanted to say. In my opinion it is perfectly acceptable to like or dislike who you wish, and regardless of reason. What isn't OK is to be blatantly rude or offensive to the person in question. I am happy to tell jokes about any nationality, but until I know the individual involved, I wouldn't tell the joke in front of them.

With regards to your comments about refugees. I am not a believer that mass immigration can work in a short period of time, and especially from a culture so different to ours. The decisions made by the countries you have mentioned have proven to be disastrous, and will no doubt be the downfall of the relevant leaders. The UK's decision to accept less refugees was primarily practical, as we already have thousands of people who we can't presently home, let alone a creaking infrastructure. In my opinion the governments decision was based on common sense, not racism.

D

Deleted member 16999

Nope, regardles of views being racist or not, there is absolutely no way any race is superior to another in any way, shape or form.

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
Thankfully my Golf is great, :)
I come from the point of view of being an Equality & Diversity Officer in the Army for over 10 years and in that time I must of saw and dealt with just about both ends of the spectrum and everything in between, more often than not it was complicated by third party involvement.
There were plenty of occassions people were over sensitive and over reacted, but I also seen cases were individuals were ignored and expected to suffer in silence as the perpatrators didn’t mean any harm.
The other problem these days is as soon as you try to get people to try and see both sides or try and show some sympathy you’re labelled a snowflake, but when that’s used as a defence, some have lost the argument.

LOL, I am a vegetarian, but I think I would make a better butcher than I would an Equality & Diversity officer ;)

Look, whilst I think people should harden up, I understand why some people can be offended by certain comments. However, what drives me bonkers is people getting offended on other peoples behalves.

D

Deleted member 16999

LOL, I am a vegetarian, but I think I would make a better butcher than I would an Equality & Diversity officer ;)

Look, whilst I think people should harden up, I understand why some people can be offended by certain comments. However, what drives me bonkers is people getting offended on other peoples behalves.
But that’s the go to line, that’s the line that’s trawled out when I or anybody tries to explain why somebody may be offended.
You could make a statement to someone and they ignore it, if I then step in and try and explain why your statement could cause offense, it doesn’t mean I’m offended by your statement or a snowflake, but that’s how it’s perceived and the discussion is closed down.

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
Nope, regardles of views being racist or not, there is absolutely no way any race is superior to another in any way, shape or form.

We will have to agree to disagree. In actual fact, I believe there are races superior to our own. OK, so a race of people who have developed their country, live in a civilised manner, respect each other, have a good animal welfare record, and a low crime rate, isn't superior to a race who generally in live squalor, have a high crime rate, and treat animals no better than vegetables. It may be politically correct to say all races are equal, but the reality is that they just aren't.

Of course, there is another discussion, what actually determines a race ?

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
But that’s the go to line, that’s the line that’s trawled out when I or anybody tries to explain why somebody may be offended.

But if the comment isn't made in front of the person in question, it doesn't matter. Your logic would therefore mean I couldn't comment on Joe Bloggs big nose looking funny, because if he was stood next to us he would be offended.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I tend not to get offended on behalf of others, but here’s a thought for you. Someone might step in on someone else’s behalf because they are weaker. I’ll happily step in and defend someone who isn’t strong enough to defend themselves.

D

Deleted member 16999

We will have to agree to disagree. In actual fact, I believe there are races superior to our own. OK, so a race of people who have developed their country, live in a civilised manner, respect each other, have a good animal welfare record, and a low crime rate, isn't superior to a race who generally in live squalor, have a high crime rate, and treat animals no better than vegetables. It may be politically correct to say all races are equal, but the reality is that they just aren't.

Of course, there is another discussion, what actually determines a race ?
I would say you are describing culture.

D

Deleted member 16999

But if the comment isn't made in front of the person in question, it doesn't matter. Your logic would therefore mean I couldn't comment on Joe Bloggs big nose looking funny, because if he was stood next to us he would be offended.
No I’m not, you are taking it to extremes.
The Dundee footballer for example, he could of been dressing up as part of a private joke with a black mate, absolutely innocent, no problem and if it had been done in a private party or in a private home etc, nobody would be any wiser.
But he didn’t and somebody pointing out how that costume could cause offence doesn’t mean they are offended.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What harm or offence would they have caused by painting their faces, copying a pop group in every way, colour/clothes/song they’re not stereotyping black females.

Why do we not see the B&W Minstrel show these days?

It doesn't matter what you or I think about blacking up.

The guys decided against blacking-up as they realised it could backfire and cause the club serious problems, and they knew that they didn't need to 'black-up' to be a recognisable, though very amateurish, Diana Ross and the Supremes 'tribute act'.

They were great, the audience loved it, and as far as I know nobody was offended - and they couldn't have got a better reception Blacked-up. In fact blacking-up could easily have drawn some breaths and taken from their reception - never mind the wider risk presented.

Just how it is.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Isn't it something to do with fast twitch and slow twitch muscles and physiology? I have a vague memory of it from GCSE PE but that was many years ago.

Careful - you’re almost agreeing that one of the races has an advantage over another. And some deem that racist.

D

Deleted member 16999

The guys decided against blacking-up as they realised it could backfire and cause the club serious problems, and they knew that they didn't need to 'black-up' to be a recognisable, though very amateurish, Diana Ross and the Supremes 'tribute act'.

They were great, the audience loved it, and as far as I know nobody was offended - and they couldn't have got a better reception Blacked-up. In fact blacking-up could easily have drawn some breaths and taken from their reception - never mind the wider risk presented.

Just how it is.
If you can’t see a difference between your mates doing a tribute act and the Black and Minstrel Show, I can’t help you!

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site

Just how it is.

This is it. The vast (very vast) amount of black people offended by the words "black board" "black sheep" or the black and white minstrels, are minuscule. Muslims are not not offended by Christmas, Irish people are not offended by Irish jokes. It is the lefty liberal snowflakes who take offence, and as a result create problems where problems don't exist. We don't need laws, we don't need "get it out campaigns", and we don't want the BBC telling us what we have to think. Eventually things will sort themselves out, but outside interference will only hinder natural progression.

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
I tend not to get offended on behalf of others, but here’s a thought for you. Someone might step in on someone else’s behalf because they are weaker. I’ll happily step in and defend someone who isn’t strong enough to defend themselves.

Good for you, I wouldn't dream of it !

D

Deleted member 16999

This is it. The vast (very vast) amount of black people offended by the words "black board" "black sheep" or the black and white minstrels, are minuscule. Muslims are not not offended by Christmas, Irish people are not offended by Irish jokes. It is the lefty liberal snowflakes who take offence, and as a result create problems where problems don't exist. We don't need laws, we don't need "get it out campaigns", and we don't want the BBC telling us what we have to think. Eventually things will sort themselves out, but outside interference will only hinder natural progression.
When you mention Muslims and Irish people are you speaking on behalf of all of them? And, is there any chance some Muslims and Irish people are offended by Christmas or Irish Jokes.
I like to think I’m quite thick skinned and have heard 99% of jokes about Scousers, but I can guarantee you I would react differently to the person or circumstances when those jokes are being told.

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
When you mention Muslims and Irish people are you speaking on behalf of all of them? And, is there any chance some Muslims and Irish people are offended by Christmas or Irish Jokes.

So what your saying is that we shouldn't celebrate Christmas or tell Irish jokes because some of them may be offended?

I spend some time on political forums, and have done for some years. People with politically correct views more often than not talk themselves into corners, because the concept is generally illogical. Please allow me to give you an example. My son went to university a normal person, and came out a raving snowflake. He hates racism, he hates sexism, he hates violence, he hates religious intolerance, and he hates homophobia. However, when anything is said that resembles a negative remark about the one religion that reflects all of those negative values, he hits the roof. His entire ethos is completely contradictory and hypocritical.

Last edited: