Is this against the rules?

Fabia999

Visit site
Hey

I have recently bought a Cobra F9 driver. I was interested to see the stats if i pull both weights out of the head. This would leave two holes in this driver (which I think is illegal??). If i just put the screws back in without the weights would i still be breaking the rules?

Fabia999

Visit site
What is the reasoning behind that? I'm not being funny, I am intrigued.
I am unsure what reasoning you mean:
Behind the rule - No Idea
Behind the idea of making the club 16g lighter - I have a slow swing, just interested to see whether i could add something.

I doubt it would work but I am just curious.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think it will help strike to make the head lighter. Lighter shaft, yes, but the head needs a bit of weight in it so you know where it is during your swing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Behind the idea of making the club 16g lighter - I have a slow swing, just interested to see whether i could add something.

Sorry, not your logic in doing it. We golfers will try anything to improve our golf so I understand tinkering about. I was thinking about the rule itself. I could not see what having a hole in your club does to cause a problem. I am not an engineer though so maybe it make a major change?

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm no golf gear expert, but I thought the weights were there to put a spin on the ball, be it side spin or back spin depending where the weights are located.
With reduced spin the ball may not stay in the air for as long.

D

Deleted member 16999

Weights will change the CG and flight of the ball (in theory)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, not your logic in doing it. We golfers will try anything to improve our golf so I understand tinkering about. I was thinking about the rule itself. I could not see what having a hole in your club does to cause a problem. I am not an engineer though so maybe it make a major change?
It just makes it non conforming. Don't know why

Chico84

Visit site
You mean to tell me I shouldn't buy one of these?? https://boom400.com/hitit400

Rick Shiels tried one of these and it didn’t perform that well.

As for the reasoning behind not allowing holes in a driver I’d imagine its to do with both aerodynamics and weight distribution.

Holes that reduce the drag the big face on a driver can create could be beneficial for club head speed increases. Holes in the body of the driver could allow for some truly creative weight distribution to increase MOI and launch.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You mean to tell me I shouldn't buy one of these?? https://boom400.com/hitit400

That would be non conforming because you are not allowed the large spaces in the head behind the face.

Severe or Multiple Cavities in the Outline of the Back of the Head• Severe cavities (as viewed at address), which go all the way through the head, are not permitted. A “severe” cavity is one where the entrance to the cavity is narrower than its width at any other point – see Figure 41c.

Many years I once had to stop a fellow competitor from using a similar one on the first tee luckily some one who I knew well. The manufacturers had bought out a replacement model which had the gaps filled with plastic and he had picked it up for peanuts on clearance.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's classed as a depression not a hole. So your free to purchase
Let me know how you get on please ?

Severe or Multiple Cavities in the Outline of the Back of the Head• Severe cavities (as viewed at address), which go all the way through the head, are not permitted. A “severe” cavity is one where the entrance to the cavity is narrower than its width at any other point – see Figure 41c.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That would be non conforming because you are not allowed the large spaces in the head behind the face.

Many years I once had to stop a fellow competitor from using a similar one on the first tee luckily some one who I knew well. The manufacturers had bought out a replacement model which had the gaps filled with plastic and he had picked it up for peanuts on clearance.
I'm sure it happens more than you think though, people using non-conforming gear because they were suckered in online to buying something without realising that it's not for competitions. Or worse still, just reckoning that others wouldn't check.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure it happens more than you think though, people using non-conforming gear because they were suckered in online to buying something without realising that it's not for competitions. Or worse still, just reckoning that others wouldn't check.

Heated head covers comes to mind.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing I didn’t like in the ping 410 driver was the two unused weight ports were just left open.
There were no plugs to fill the holes in the rear of the head.
This must conform or they would not have been able to sell it.
The edges were quite sharp and put a hole in the headcover as well as getting full of mud and grass etc.