Is there something illegal about this?

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I recently paid £3 for 4 hours parking at our new local shopping centre. I had to put in the last 2 characters on my licence plate so that they are printed on the ticket and thereby stop me from giving my ticket to someone else if I vacate the parking place early.

Now as I see it, I paid for the place for 4 hours and if I leave after 2 hours I should be able to give my remaining 2 hours to whomsoever I like. I'm not depriving the operators of any revenue because the parking place is paid for. I don't thing they have the right to re-sell the space for the remaining 2 hours to someone else, when it really belongs to me. It's an infringement of my right to make a gift.

Does anyone agree?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Morally it is wrong of them to prevent this but it is perfectly legal in any car-park whether you specify regstration or not, as long as they have signs or text on the tickets stating that they are non-transferrable.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Those famous words 'NON TRANSFERABLE' are used in these situations. Meaning that if you vacate the bay you forfeit your right to the remainder time.

It is an underhand way of maximising revenew for the greedy puck figs.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I recently paid £3 for 4 hours parking .....

Could you not have paid £1.50 for 2 hours?

(gets down on hands and knees and starts making 'I'm not worthy'-prayer type actions):-

A man who can shop (or even contemplate it ) for four whole hours. Blimus!

I wouldn't want to spend that much time buying a car!

Personally, I can feel the will to live dribbling out of my left foot after about 17 minutes. The word 'browse' does not feature in my vocabulary.

I would rather eat a lb of my own body waste than go to Ikea ever again for example. The tenth circle of Dante's inferno if ever there was one. I imagine some sadistic Swede (perhaps called Snrgenfyork- or some other random selection of letters - is out there wetting himself with laughter)

:(

bill

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is a good point dave and highly annoying I admit- more so as if you were to stay for 5 minutes too long you would be clamped and fined, even though on the times people leave early (most times) they more than make enough money to cope with 5 minutes potential lost revenue. NHS car parks really take the biscuit, especially Addenbrookes in Cambridge it is a joke- hugely expensive to the extent that it ends up costing £25 + a time to visit a grandmother with terminal cancer, admittedly money is not the issue in this circumstance you will always pay it but it is the principle of the matter. They know people have no choice but to pay and so deliberately rip them off. This hospital I know makes over £1,000,000 pounds net PROFIT a year from parking and it seems to me they are fleecing the wrong people. Car parking in general is just a really anoying subject for me so I apologise for my rant- oh and before I forget how about the fact that you can never find a space anyway before paying premium rates to leave your car there 'at your own risk' it is just stupid.

Oh and Billyg- PMSL, I take it you're not keen on IKEA?

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
4 hours does seem like a nightmare billyg, but on this occasion it was the grandaughter's birthday treat at the Tenpin Bowling, so the time was necessary. However, we left after 2 hours because the noise of about 60 eleven years olds, and the music was too much.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
None transferable... You paid for you to park, not for anyone else...

The none transferable also covers not being able to use the same ticket at another car park unless its stated that you may use it at their other car parks, as many in say for instance Cornwall do which is a great idea... Pay for a day's parking & you can go up the coast & use other carparks belonging to the same firm/council.